Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2022, 07:19 AM   #1241
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks cool.. although not sure how you'd ever get out of the car in a busy parking lot.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #1242
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If designed properly, those doors should actually make it easier since they don't require nearly as much outward movement as regular doors, and once they're open, you don't need to contend with the door itself being in your way.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 10:22 AM   #1243
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I'm very curious about this vehicle so any other updates would be greatly appreciated. I feel like it would fit my needs. Did yours come with all the battery updates?
Yes all battery updates were done on this one from the factory.

Anything specific you are wondering about?

One thing I was a bit concerned about was highway range but that hurdle has been cleared now on multiple trips. We didnt buy the vehicle for vacation/long travel but it seems more than capable if you wanted to use it that way. Cargo space would be the biggest limiting factor I could see unless its a family of 3.

The cabin comfort has been top notch, super quiet. They have done a great job of sealing the cabin as there is less wind and road noise than any vehicle I have owned previously. And I have owned Volvo's and Lincolns, so not just bottom barrel stuff.

We are still waiting on the level 2 charge install in our garage and I was worried that we would end up in a charge deficit with the amount of commuting my wife does but it hasnt been an issue at all. I actually think we could probably survive just fine with level 1 charging on this vehicle if we wanted to.

If you live and drive mostly in the city you will likely find you get a lot more than the stated 397km range.

Styling is a lot nicer in my opinion than the regular Bolt. The slightly longer EUV version gives it a much more normal crossover look. The only oddity for me is the tail lights arent the signals/brake lamps. Those are low on the bumper. Weird, but whatever.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #1244
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
The Delorian is back, and electric!

NSFW!

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/30/2...ged-ev-revival
I think this looks awful. The only thing it has in common with the original is gullwing doors in which case is the Model X also a Delorean?

This design has no design language in common with the original car, even the logo is a different font. The whole thing looks like some kind of chubby whale.

Something like this that pays homage to the original I would buy in a heartbeat (if I was rich).

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:00 AM   #1245
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Serious question: were full-service gas stations a common thing because people were too dumb to do it themselves (tbf pumps used to be a little bit less user-friendly)? Or was it just a class thing?
My mom filled up by herself last year (usually my dad is around) and car washed the entire car with gasoline. She sprayed all over the ground too. She didn't let go of the trigger when pulling the nozzle out and kept holding onto it while waving the nozzle around the air in panic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #1246
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My mom filled up by herself last year (usually my dad is around) and car washed the entire car with gasoline. She sprayed all over the ground too. She didn't let go of the trigger when pulling the nozzle out and kept holding onto it while waving the nozzle around the air in panic.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #1247
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hm I assume similar price changes are coming to Canada too.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/1/23...price-cut-2023

Quote:
Under the new pricing scheme, 2023 Bolt EVs with the 1LT trim will start at $26,595, which includes dealer freight charges. That’s down from the 2022 price of $32,495, reflecting an 18 percent drop. The 2LT trim, which includes leather seats, HD surround vision, and lane-change alert, starts at $29,795, a 16 percent decrease from the 2022 price of $35,695.

The 2023 Bolt EUV with the LT trim starts at $28,195, also including dealer freight charges — an 18 percent drop from the 2022 model year price of $34,495. The Premium trim level of the Bolt EUV will start at $32,695, a 16 percent decrease from the 2022 price of $38,995. Delivery charges are $995 and are reflected in the 2023 starting price for both vehicles and all trim levels, GM says.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:10 PM   #1248
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hydrogen, but cool:

Quote:
TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION ("Toyota") and its subsidiary, Woven Planet Holdings, Inc. ("Woven Planet"), have developed a working prototype of its portable hydrogen cartridge. This cartridge design will facilitate the everyday transport and supply of hydrogen energy to power a broad range of daily life applications in and outside of the home. Toyota and Woven Planet will conduct Proof of Concept ("PoC") trials in various places, including Woven City, a human-centered smart city of the future currently being constructed in Susono City, Shizuoka Prefecture.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/co.../37405994.html

They look a lot like the ugh...Star Trek Discovery Spore Drive fuel cells. Very future. Could this be handy for the hydrogen powered fork lifts we were discussing?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #1249
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had some grand plans of upgrading to a plug in hybrid (or fully electric if I could convince my wife) but everything seems to be backordered for up to 2 years.

Stop buying cars you clowns, you're ruining it for me.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #1250
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

a series of tweets encapsulating a presentation about the future opportunities of the Electric highway truck.

https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/sta...68049515978752

Last edited by para transit fellow; 06-14-2022 at 03:59 PM.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #1251
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as emissions reductions go, it makes a lot more sense to electrify vehicles that are in use all day, every day, than it does ones that sit in garages 95% of the time. With it looking like battery production capacity will be the limiting factor in speed of electrification, prioritizing commercial use may make more sense. It may not make regular people looking to buy EV's happy, but it's probably the better direction.

Last edited by Fuzz; 06-14-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #1252
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Passenger vehicles still generate a lot more CO2 overall simply because there's so many more of them compared to trucks.

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions-from-transport

But as you say if batteries are going to be the constraint... the same # of batteries is going to replace a bigger percentage of trucks than passenger cars.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #1253
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
4:17: The problem for America is not a lack of resources.
For example, the U.S. Geological Survey reports that the U.S. actually has more lithium reserves than China; the mines just haven't been built here.
That's because until recently, domestic automakers just hadn't really committed to EVs and the policies weren't there to support them.
China, on the other hand, decided over a decade ago that it wanted to be the world leader in electric cars and went on to heavily subsidize EVs and
EV infrastructure for the automakers, consumers and battery companies themselves.
You can get up to $10,000 dollars back on the purchase of a vehicle.
The government is encouraging its state banks to lend very liberally to EV startups, hundreds of millions of dollars of easy loans,
incentives for investment up and down the ladder.
The Chinese government has said we want to be the world EV dominator, whatever it takes.
Now imagine if the world (and especially western nations) had made this kind of committment to EVs a lot sooner than it did...
Old 06-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #1254
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post

Now imagine if the world (and especially western nations) had made this kind of committment to EVs a lot sooner than it did...
Yeah, people might be able to buy one in a decent timeframe.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:35 AM   #1255
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Yeah, people might be able to buy one in a decent timeframe.
Can't get an ICE car in a decent time frame either as the industry is a mess still.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #1256
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Can't say you're being green and then open a ton of lithium mines. It's like O&G in Russia - the EU just buys it and stays "green". Russia is the bad guy. Now lithium will be the same thing, we'll gladly send our money to China so they can be the polluters and we can save the Earth with our EV purchases!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #1257
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Can't say you're being green and then open a ton of lithium mines. It's like O&G in Russia - the EU just buys it and stays "green". Russia is the bad guy. Now lithium will be the same thing, we'll gladly send our money to China so they can be the polluters and we can save the Earth with our EV purchases!
Why not? I don't think anybody is under the illusion that lithium mining is harmless, but in a holistic view it still comes out ahead. You're getting a non-consumable (or at least long-lifespan) commodity that facilitates more efficient travel.

An average EV battery has around 10kg of lithium in it.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #1258
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh oh... https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/23/musk...f-dollars.html
Old 06-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #1259
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Yes all battery updates were done on this one from the factory.

Anything specific you are wondering about?

One thing I was a bit concerned about was highway range but that hurdle has been cleared now on multiple trips. We didnt buy the vehicle for vacation/long travel but it seems more than capable if you wanted to use it that way. Cargo space would be the biggest limiting factor I could see unless its a family of 3.

The cabin comfort has been top notch, super quiet. They have done a great job of sealing the cabin as there is less wind and road noise than any vehicle I have owned previously. And I have owned Volvo's and Lincolns, so not just bottom barrel stuff.

We are still waiting on the level 2 charge install in our garage and I was worried that we would end up in a charge deficit with the amount of commuting my wife does but it hasnt been an issue at all. I actually think we could probably survive just fine with level 1 charging on this vehicle if we wanted to.

If you live and drive mostly in the city you will likely find you get a lot more than the stated 397km range.

Styling is a lot nicer in my opinion than the regular Bolt. The slightly longer EUV version gives it a much more normal crossover look. The only oddity for me is the tail lights arent the signals/brake lamps. Those are low on the bumper. Weird, but whatever.

I'm really considering getting one of these, especially with the price drop. I can charge for free at work so I'll likely never have to spend a dime on electricity. What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking? And did you have to order way in advance? Also, what is the delay with getting the 240V charger installed at your home? Do you have to wait for Chevy to send someone out or have you picked an electrician privately and are just waiting for them to show up? Thanks.

Last edited by MegaErtz; 06-23-2022 at 07:02 PM.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #1260
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
A lot of analysts are saying this is Musk playing the pity me card in order to accomplish a few things such as getting support for getting the subsidies back for Tesla as well as drive down his own stock so they can buy back more. Similar to his Twitter shenanigans.