Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #341
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
The guy just won an election and has the NDP in a supporting agreement. The Conservatives don't have a leader. Who is a threat to him right now?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #342
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The guy just won an election and has the NDP in a supporting agreement. The Conservatives don't have a leader. Who is a threat to him right now?
National Post pundits.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #343
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ with any luck he will take a walk in the snow soon.

Although at this point one has to wonder if him leaving and a new leader being installed would change the current culture that seems to have gripped this mob, or they they need a real beat down from the voters to sort out the deadwood and duds and we can start this cycle again

Trudeau leaving would instantly deprive the right of their main shouting points - tyrant, trudope, f@@@ Trudeau, most divisive PM, etc. While there are plenty of Liberal policies, actions, and MPs to attack there is so much vitriol and hatred towards him that dissipates when he goes. It might be challenging to generate the same amount of passion against his successor, especially if they throw a few bones upon election like removing all remaining travel restrictions.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:58 AM   #344
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Here is a link to one story about this. I’d imagine there will be more stories tomorrow.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-shooting.html

Nice to see the PMO’s office is willing to use the deaths of ordinary Canadians as political grease.

This is a guy that was favoured by Atlantic canda so I guess I am in the wrong on this.
This is really awful.

Should be grounds for resignation for both Blair and Lucki.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #345
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Charest would probably have the best chance, since he seems to be the only one not tripping over himself to appeal to the farthest right reaches of voters. He'd pull in good support in Quebec, and probably appeal to enough Ontarians to win fairly comfortably. The problem is the CPC can't help but make horrible decisions that alienate themselves to the majority of Canadians, and woudl rather lose loudly than put aside their stupidity.
My sister lives in Montreal and tells me Charest is pretty much generally disliked by Quebecers and would be a poor choice for the CPC.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 12:04 PM   #346
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Governments usually defeat themselves.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:05 PM   #347
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A minority election and Freeland just told the NDP to piss off and let them run things...

Maybe the security isn't really there...
Old 06-22-2022, 12:10 PM   #348
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here is a link to one story about this. I’d imagine there will be more stories tomorrow.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-shooting.html

Nice to see the PMO’s office is willing to use the deaths of ordinary Canadians as political grease.

This is a guy that was favoured by Atlantic canda so I guess I am in the wrong on this.
I can't believe elected officials of any party would do something like this. It's so morally and ethically corrupt.

Quote:
The funerals from Canada’s worst-ever mass shooting were still ongoing when the Trudeau government apparently intervened in the investigation as a way to “leverage” their push for tightened federal gun control. An investigation by the Halifax Examiner found that RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki tried to pressure her own investigators to release details of the firearms used in the massacre in order to honour a “promise” she made to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair that the information would be released in time to coincide with the announcement of a federal ban on “assault-style” firearms.

The story is particularly scandalous for the fact that Nova Scotia RCMP warned Lucki that such information might jeopardize the search for how the killer had obtained his murder weapons – and they were dressed-down for talking back. “She did not raise her voice but her choice of words was indicative of her overall dissatisfaction with our work,” wrote Nova Scotia Supt. Darren Campbell in a note obtained by the Examiner.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:16 PM   #349
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
if you go by the pundits and insiders, it would seem there are many inside his aprty who would be happy to see him go. Buit as pointed out, the conservaties are months away from sorting out their leadership issues so right now the voters have little choice.

oh well, next week there will be a new issue
Old 06-22-2022, 01:19 PM   #350
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Governments usually defeat themselves.
If a federal election were held 6-12 months from now, the Liberals would almost certainly lose. Regardless of who was leading the Conservatives. A substantial portion of the electorate approach voting very simply - if they’re doing worse financially, they vote against the incumbent.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #351
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing that Patrick Brown's campaign for CPC Leadership is probably dead at this point. Michelle Rempel, who was chair of the campaign, has left him on order to pursue the UCP leadership and now she has taken Brown's campaign manager as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped out before the vote.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #352
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If a federal election were held 6-12 months from now, the Liberals would almost certainly lose. Regardless of who was leading the Conservatives. A substantial portion of the electorate approach voting very simply - if they’re doing worse financially, they vote against the incumbent.
This is true. But as long as the NDP don't want an election - they don't have to worry for years. People complained about it and they didn't gain anything but in retrospect calling the election when they did was very fortunate.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:54 PM   #353
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Elections are very hard to predict, it looked like an easy majority win for the Liberals last election and the Liberals sure messed that up.

If there was an election right now both 338 and CBC have Liberals winning another minority if an election were held today. Though 338 does show the Liberal + NDP coalition wouldn't have enough to govern.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:22 PM   #354
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can't believe elected officials of any party would do something like this. It's so morally and ethically corrupt.
Yup, and resignations need to happen and quickly.

If Lucki doesn't resign, I can see Alberta saying bye-bye to a "corrupt and politically entrenched" Federal police force and instituting its own provincial police, sooner than expected.

On top of that, this was political opportunism at its worst. Grave dancing that the Liberals are oh-so-good at. They've always wanted to ban guns, and they had legislation in the wings waiting for a politically advantageous situation to develop. And then they somehow got their wish.

It doesn't help that the not-yet-fully-proven allegation that the N.S. shooter was a paid RCMP/police informant, and that he had withdrawn upwards of $475,000 in cash via a method only reserved for behind-the-scenes police payouts doesn't really make anyone feel good about the intent of everyone involved. There are lots of theories floating around, and when things like this come out it's hard not to think that there might have been some collusion/coercement, or something more sinister.

At the end of the day, a crazy guy doing crazy things always makes the most sense. Occam's razor rules the day, most times. But, I think this is something that needs to be looked into more closely, yet nobody seems all that interested in doing that.

To be quite honest, I haven't been paying all that much attention to the investigation hearings, so please correct me if they've mentioned something like this, or debunked it altogether.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #355
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Yup, and resignations need to happen and quickly.

If Lucki doesn't resign, I can see Alberta saying bye-bye to a "corrupt and politically entrenched" Federal police force and instituting its own provincial police, sooner than expected.

On top of that, this was political opportunism at its worst. Grave dancing that the Liberals are oh-so-good at. They've always wanted to ban guns, and they had legislation in the wings waiting for a politically advantageous situation to develop. And then they somehow got their wish.

It doesn't help that the not-yet-fully-proven allegation that the N.S. shooter was a paid RCMP/police informant, and that he had withdrawn upwards of $475,000 in cash via a method only reserved for behind-the-scenes police payouts doesn't really make anyone feel good about the intent of everyone involved. There are lots of theories floating around, and when things like this come out it's hard not to think that there might have been some collusion/coercement, or something more sinister.

At the end of the day, a crazy guy doing crazy things always makes the most sense. Occam's razor rules the day, most times. But, I think this is something that needs to be looked into more closely, yet nobody seems all that interested in doing that.

To be quite honest, I haven't been paying all that much attention to the investigation hearings, so please correct me if they've mentioned something like this, or debunked it altogether.
This is complete bunk and appears to be dreamt up by author Paul Palango. This is simply wrong, and not a method for police payouts to informants or agents. Full stop.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:18 PM   #356
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

Its not unusual for this government to interfere. They interfered in the SNC Lavalin case. They definitely tried to use the courts as a weapon against Mark Norman.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #357
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see our blessed leader is off to Rwanda to talk climate stuff. I am a little surprised he would leave the country just as this new issue has reared its ear. But that being said, it is Rwanda and if he can help get thier green house gas emissions under control he will really change the future of the world
Old 06-22-2022, 08:49 PM   #358
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

He hasn't hidden the fact, for years now, that his primary goal is to set himself up for the climate change convention circuit after public office. He is well into ignoring canada in favor of climate.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:50 PM   #359
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
This is complete bunk and appears to be dreamt up by author Paul Palango. This is simply wrong, and not a method for police payouts to informants or agents. Full stop.
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...ver-operation/

So three authors of this Macleans article just dreamt something up out of nowhere, got it past their editors, and published an inflammatory piece in the wake of one of the deadliest mass killings in Canadian history? That seems plausible.

Quote:
“There’s no way a civilian can just make an arrangement like that,” he said in an interview.

He added that Wortman’s transaction is consistent with the Mountie’s experience in how the RCMP pays its assets. “I’ve worked a number of CI cases over the years and that’s how things go. All the payments are made in cash. To me that transaction alone proves he has a secret relationship with the force.”
Quote:
A second Mountie, who does not know the first one but who has also been involved in CI operations, also believes that Wortman’s ability to withdraw a large sum of money from Brink’s is an indication that Wortman had a link with the police. “That’s tradecraft,” the Mountie said, explaining that by going through CIBC Intria, the RCMP could avoid typical banking scrutiny, as there are no holds placed on the money.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:12 PM   #360
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...ver-operation/

So three authors of this Macleans article just dreamt something up out of nowhere, got it past their editors, and published an inflammatory piece in the wake of one of the deadliest mass killings in Canadian history? That seems plausible.
Paul Palango hates the Mounties and has numerous publications which always view them in a negative light. Yes, no doubt in my mind he’s dreaming up scenarios. I’m here to tell you that is complete and utter bs and if you think for a second that the police just pay people brinks loads of cash in one withdrawal you’re out of your mind.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote