Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2022, 05:07 PM   #461
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
After you recover from COVID19 is there a period of immunity or are you able to get it again virtually immediately?
When I had covid a year ago, you were considered "immune" for the next 90 days. I didn't have to test or isolate as a close contact during that time (back when that existed).

That was alpha though. I don't think Omicron protection is considered to be that long-lasting.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 05:18 PM   #462
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
After you recover from COVID19 is there a period of immunity or are you able to get it again virtually immediately?
My wife has patients that got it again within 4 - 6 weeks. Obviously that isn't typical, but apparently possible.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:04 PM   #463
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
My wife has patients that got it again within 4 - 6 weeks. Obviously that isn't typical, but apparently possible.
I feel like in a lot of these types of cases, what they get reinfected with is a different variant.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #464
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I feel like in a lot of these types of cases, what they get reinfected with is a different variant.

Sure that's possible. I wouldn't bet on it based on the timing, but could very well be possible.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:15 PM   #465
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Sure that's possible. I wouldn't bet on it based on the timing, but could very well be possible.
In this situation, it could even be first case was Omicron BA.2 and then the second case Omicron BA.2.12.1.

https://www.vox.com/23100593/covid-s...ccine-paxlovid
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 01:52 AM   #466
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
In this situation, it could even be first case was Omicron BA.2 and then the second case Omicron BA.2.12.1.

https://www.vox.com/23100593/covid-s...ccine-paxlovid

Come on, we're already on BA.4 and BA.5!!
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #467
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hospitalizations and ICU cases down, hopefully the trend continues. The really good news is the ICU numbers are now approaching 30 (we peaked near 200 IIRC?).

Alberta continuing to move towards 'normalization' and living with Covid as the in person government updates are moving to bi-weekly now. Stats will still be published on a weekly basis however.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...drop-1.6465844
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:47 AM   #468
SutterBrother
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I figure we’re pretty much at the end. It’s endemic and on people to protect themselves. If they are at risk, they have to shut themselves in or live in a KN-95 from now on (which sucks if you’re over 65 and otherwise healthy).

Everyone else either has it, had it, or will get it. Hopefully they are vaxxed to minimize impact, but there are going to be endless variants.

Early on some wanker edgelord coined the term “Boomer Aids”. That’s kind of where it wound up. Significant casualties among the elderly and unwell, and most everyone else walks it off (if vaxxed).

Tragic in so many ways. Probably human created, total incompetence globally (particularly in the US, and particularly in Red states), and a long tail of “Covid theatre” that will be with us for years, and do nothing to prevent spread (6 foot spacing, masks on “except when eating or drinking”, excessive hand washing, plastic screens). Its airborn and doesn’t live on surfaces.

A shame to have lost so many when it could have been stopped. See New Zealand for how it should have gone.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 12:34 PM   #469
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there an actual point to maintaining mandates anymore? Maybe for travel, but I still see it on sites for employment.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:46 PM   #470
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Is there an actual point to maintaining mandates anymore? Maybe for travel, but I still see it on sites for employment.
Honestly, not really sure of the point anymore for employment or travel, but eh.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 08:32 AM   #471
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, prior to actually coming down with Covid a couple weeks ago, at times, I almost forgot Covid was even a thing anymore. Other than seeing hand sanitizer in stores and the odd person with a mask (I don't take public transit), there's not a lot of clear signs that Covid's still around. I've certainly stopped paying much attention the news around it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 08:45 AM   #472
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1531358696600739840
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:59 AM   #473
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
For employment, it's probably one of three things: employers not bothering to adjust their policy, employers not understanding the long-term effectiveness of COVID vaccines without boosters, or they're keeping the requirement as a sort of screening tool to eliminate antivaxxers from the pool of applicants. And I actually think the latter is defensible even looking strictly in terms of health and the potential for spread in the workplace. Someone who hasn't gotten vaccinated yet likely never will, whereas if there are future disruptive variants that can be fixed by another vaccine dose, then someone who has already been vaccinated is likely to do it again. And that doesn't even get into the likely correlation between being an antivaxxer and lacking the traits/abilities that employers would be looking for (e.g. reason, logic, making smart evidence-based decisions, etc.).

That said, I do think people are probably getting a bit ahead of themselves. We are currently experiencing a very high level of recent immunity due to extremely high vaccination rates and infections from a relatively mild variant. But there isn't a whole lot of reason to expect that that'll necessarily continue going forward. Immunity against coronaviruses wanes, even against severe disease. And if vaccine uptake among the older population continues to drop with each subsequent dose (which it already is), then we're going to be pretty susceptible to high hospitalization rates, particularly if future variants aren't as mild.

Younger people should be fine regardless. But I think there's a real potential for danger if the older population treats COVID like it's over. That's not necessarily something that mandates are going to fix (I don't see age-based mandates ever happening), but it's still a risk and if hospitals fill up, we all suffer. As much as we'd like to think that it's all personal responsibility now (i.e. if you're at risk, take measures to protect yourself), we all rely on a functioning medical system.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:04 AM   #474
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
For employment, it's probably one of three things: employers not bothering to adjust their policy, employers not understanding the long-term effectiveness of COVID vaccines without boosters, or they're keeping the requirement as a sort of screening tool to eliminate antivaxxers from the pool of applicants. And I actually think the latter is defensible even looking strictly in terms of health and the potential for spread in the workplace. Someone who hasn't gotten vaccinated yet likely never will, whereas if there are future disruptive variants that can be fixed by another vaccine dose, then someone who has already been vaccinated is likely to do it again. And that doesn't even get into the likely correlation between being an antivaxxer and lacking the traits/abilities that employers would be looking for (e.g. reason, logic, making smart evidence-based decisions, etc.).
It's actually a brilliant way of enshrining "we don't hire f-ckwits" into hiring policy without actually writing down those words.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 11:42 AM   #475
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether or not science has declared the pandemic to be endemic, the population sure has.

But I do wonder when this thing will officially cease being a pandemic.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:10 PM   #476
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends how much and how it mutates. We currently have very high levels of immunity against prior, more severe variants. But as booster rates drop and prior immunity wanes, that won't continue. So it's possible that we'd see a resurgence of a mutation from a prior, more severe variant.

It's theoretically possible that the virus runs out of possible mutations that improve its fitness and/or immune evasion ability. Or that it continues to mutate into a less severe form to the point where a mutation to a severe variant is extremely unlikely (similar to the other endemic coronaviruses). If any of that happens, the pandemic would essentially be over.

But it's also totally possible that we have an immune escape variant in the coming years that's far more severe than Omicron, at which point we're right back in a serious pandemic. I know at the start of the pandemic, some scientists estimated 2-5 years before there'd be a full immune escape variant, and so far that seems pretty accurate (Omicron was most of the way there). So it's plausible that that will continue to happen. Recent vaccination will likely continue to provide fantastic protection against severe disease even with significantly mutated variants, but will people continue to take them regularly? I'm doubtful.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 12:54 PM   #477
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
I think employers are purposefully not bothering to adjust their policies for a few reasons:
-keep out the nutters
-if they laid off anyone when their vaccine mandate was put in place, they're probably dealing with a bunch of litigation. Changing the policy now weakens their position considerably
-they'd want to reduce spread as much as possible (even though it seems impossible) to avoid business interruptions if everyone has to be home sick
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:11 PM   #478
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I think employers are purposefully not bothering to adjust their policies for a few reasons:
-keep out the nutters
-if they laid off anyone when their vaccine mandate was put in place, they're probably dealing with a bunch of litigation. Changing the policy now weakens their position considerably
-they'd want to reduce spread as much as possible (even though it seems impossible) to avoid business interruptions if everyone has to be home sick
I have heard of a few cases like this, especially in Oil and Gas.

The last point is valid too. We have kept Mandatory masks so we can reduce the risk of spread (it has worked in our office). Allowed us to stay open when we likely would have had to shut down without the masks and staggered breaks.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:30 PM   #479
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It depends how much and how it mutates. We currently have very high levels of immunity against prior, more severe variants. But as booster rates drop and prior immunity wanes, that won't continue. So it's possible that we'd see a resurgence of a mutation from a prior, more severe variant.

It's theoretically possible that the virus runs out of possible mutations that improve its fitness and/or immune evasion ability. Or that it continues to mutate into a less severe form to the point where a mutation to a severe variant is extremely unlikely (similar to the other endemic coronaviruses). If any of that happens, the pandemic would essentially be over.

But it's also totally possible that we have an immune escape variant in the coming years that's far more severe than Omicron, at which point we're right back in a serious pandemic. I know at the start of the pandemic, some scientists estimated 2-5 years before there'd be a full immune escape variant, and so far that seems pretty accurate (Omicron was most of the way there). So it's plausible that that will continue to happen. Recent vaccination will likely continue to provide fantastic protection against severe disease even with significantly mutated variants, but will people continue to take them regularly? I'm doubtful.
All I know is that whenever I order a Corona I'm going to tell the server to "hold the virus" and giggle like mad to myself. I refuse to let that joke die.

Fortunately for everyone, I basically only drink Corona once every two years.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 07:07 PM   #480
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That said, I do think people are probably getting a bit ahead of themselves. We are currently experiencing a very high level of recent immunity due to extremely high vaccination rates and infections from a relatively mild variant. But there isn't a whole lot of reason to expect that that'll necessarily continue going forward. Immunity against coronaviruses wanes, even against severe disease. And if vaccine uptake among the older population continues to drop with each subsequent dose (which it already is), then we're going to be pretty susceptible to high hospitalization rates, particularly if future variants aren't as mild.

Younger people should be fine regardless. But I think there's a real potential for danger if the older population treats COVID like it's over. That's not necessarily something that mandates are going to fix (I don't see age-based mandates ever happening), but it's still a risk and if hospitals fill up, we all suffer. As much as we'd like to think that it's all personal responsibility now (i.e. if you're at risk, take measures to protect yourself), we all rely on a functioning medical system.
You can basically make this same argument for anyone who is devoutly religious.