Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #1201
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Almost all of these mass killers are socially isolated, bitter, single men. So social breakdown and alienation are root causes.
Have there always been these guys, though? Now they have access to deadly weapons and a roadmap for how to carry out the attacks.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:20 AM   #1202
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Almost all of these mass killers are socially isolated, bitter, single men. So social breakdown and alienation are root causes.
these are the primary underlying reasons/motivations for these events

the US is not, however, isolated in having "socially isolated, bitter, single men".... every country in the world has those...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #1203
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

can you really be a bitter isolated single man at 18? I figure you'd have to go through rounds and rounds and years and years of rejection.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #1204
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Have there always been these guys, though? Now they have access to deadly weapons and a roadmap for how to carry out the attacks.
There have always been those guys, but not nearly as many. Society has been breaking down and atomizing for generations. 80 years ago most young men were married, still lived in the towns they grew up in, had parents and aunts and uncles around, etc. 30 years ago most men still had several close friends they could talk to. No longer.

Quote:
Men appear to have suffered a far steeper decline than women. Thirty years ago, a majority of men (55 percent) reported having at least six close friends. Today, that number has been cut in half. Slightly more than one in four (27 percent) men have six or more close friends today. Fifteen percent of men have no close friendships at all, a fivefold increase since 1990.

https://www.americansurveycenter.org...are-shrinking/
But yes, having examples in the media is another part of the problem.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-25-2022 at 09:37 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #1205
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
There have always been those guys, but not nearly as many. Society has been breaking down and atomizing for generations. 80 years ago most young men were married, still lived in the towns they grew up in, had parents and aunts and uncles around, etc. 30 years ago most men still had several close friends they could talk to. No longer.

I read the article, but there weren't any comparisons to other countries. If men in other countries are going through the same experience as American men, then we have to look elsewhere for answers as to why this keeps happening in the USA. It has to be the easy access to powerful firearms, no?
Old 05-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #1206
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I read the article, but there weren't any comparisons to other countries. If men in other countries are going through the same experience as American men, then we have to look elsewhere for answers as to why this keeps happening in the USA. It has to be the easy access to powerful firearms, no?
I didn’t say it had nothing to do with access to firearms. I was responding to a post speculating about root cultural issues. A problem like this has more than one cause.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:48 AM   #1207
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t say it had nothing to do with access to firearms. I was responding to a post speculating about root cultural issues. A problem like this has more than one cause.
Yeah but maybe deal with an issue that massively exacerbates the deadliness of the problem.

That's what people are saying. You're not coming down from the mountain with some stellar wisdom that it's unhappy people who do mass shootings.

Like, no ####. Good thing you're here.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:48 AM   #1208
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but if all the cultural issues exist elsewhere - places where there aren't mass shootings - then we can kind of take that off the table and focus on the actual problem: guns.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #1209
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah but maybe deal with an issue that massively exacerbates the deadliness of the problem.

That's what people are saying. You're not coming down from the mountain with some stellar wisdom that it's unhappy people who do mass shootings.

Like, no ####. Good thing you're here.
I was responding to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Quite aside from the gun legislation, there must be an awful cultural/social problem in the US that these kinds of things keep happening.
So I guess JohnnyB is the person you should be telling to STFU.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:56 AM   #1210
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can you as well though?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #1211
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Like the guy on CNN said, in Texas you can buy assault rifles at 18, but can’t drink till your 21. WTF!
Well...that seems perfectly reasonable.

You wouldnt want your responsible Gun Owner to be all liquored up would you?

Surely after they purchase firearms at 18 they'll stay sober for 3 years.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #1212
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well...that seems perfectly reasonable.

You wouldnt want your responsible Gun Owner to be all liquored up would you?

Surely after they purchase firearms at 18 they'll stay sober for 3 years.

I think "Beer not Guns" should be the new rallying cry.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #1213
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

It seems to me that the warning signs were there in this case, buying two rifles right when eligible. Should there not have been a cross reference there from one store to the other?

I’m sure a lot of other 18 year olds bought guns at the same time even but still, it can’t be a free for all and buy as many guns as you wish which sounds like the case.

They always go for “they want to take our guns” but it seems like there’s a lot of other things they should be doing that seem pretty minor, like background checks.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #1214
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. Total gut shot as they are now showing the photos of some of the victims who have been positively identified. One of the photos was of a little girl proudly showing her certificate for making the honour roll. That poor little girl.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:48 AM   #1215
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Ugh. Total gut shot as they are now showing the photos of some of the victims who have been positively identified. One of the photos was of a little girl proudly showing her certificate for making the honour roll. That poor little girl.
Nope, not looking at those. They should be plastered all over the houses, vehicles and offices of every politician that stands in the way of gun control, though. Hack the NRA's website and put them up there, too. Maybe it should be a requirement to have victims photos on the glass display cabinets in every gun shop.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #1216
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, that would seem a tad harsh...

I didn't come in for debate anyways. Just came in to express sadness over such an awful situation. Truly heartbreaking to think of.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:54 AM   #1217
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

80 years ago, the lack of mobility, communications, etc., made it much easier for ####ty dudes with odious views to have friends and a family because their potential mates and peers generally had smaller pools to select from.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #1218
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This South Park clip is 4 years old now, but still sadly incredibly relevant

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #1219
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its digusting and sad and anger inducing. But nothing is ever going to change. Lots of thoughts and prayers, and no action.

Even in Canada we're seeing shootings go up, and the government fumbles around pursuing the wrong things.

It doesn't matter whether its republican or democrats in power, can we honestly say that there's been an honest effort to do anything but wax poetically?
Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I put one of those photos out through my Twitter account. It was a 4th grade boy, Xavier Lopes, who lost his life. It’s very, very sad. He’s only one of 19 children who lost their life. What’s really sad is that this will not be the last school attack. I keep wondering when the next one will come. It could be in a few days or a few weeks, but these attacks inspire others.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #1220
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Governor Abbott is making a statement and Beto O'Rourke was just kicked out of the room for approaching the stage and calling him out for his and his party's policies, etc. Very heated in there.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote