Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2022, 12:19 PM   #5381
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Totally makes sense.

I'd try to find a demo day at an outdoor range through the Callaway website.

I have been missing the Calgary golf show. Was a really good place to go and hit all the new stuff without pushy sales people.

I'd suggest going to modern golf for a fitting but New Era will come and highjack the thread again.
Callaway fitting at Lynx Ridge May 29:
https://process.callawaygolf.com/Cgi...e-c2b6e248b213
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to core_upt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #5382
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Two weeks into Mens League and what a revelation its been. My short game is atrocious compared to the fellas I've been matched against.

I have a lot of work to do in that area, but its nice to golf with people better than you. Funny how you pick up little things here and there by golfing with new people.

Now we just need actual summer to arrive.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #5383
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If anyone is in the market for a fairway wood, highly recommend Ping. That thing is a rocket launcher. Haven't been that happy with a new club in a long time.
The Pings are really nice. I would also recommend taking a look at the new Srixons. Longest fairway woods I've hit, and damn straight. Perfect balance, gorgeous to look at, and a nice crown for ball striking. One of the best clubs I've hit.

Quote:
I'd suggest going to modern golf for a fitting but New Era will come and highjack the thread again.
Do whatever you believe helps your game. Golf is all about confidence, so if you believe that micro adjustments are going to improve your flawed swing, fill your boots. You're wasting your time and your money. You can't fix stupid nor willful ignorance to how the process works, but you can upsell fools into expensive equipment they don't need, nor can effectively use, using smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 05-19-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:44 PM   #5384
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was suppsoed to join a couple of fellas from the shop today and golf at winteregreen with a 2.30pm tee time. I pulled the chute - they went.

they called beofre they left downtown and the course was open, there was apparently nobody golfing there.

weather app shows that it is currently 3 there and feels like -2 with light rain. I feel i made the right choice.

We also have a time tomorrow morning at Mapleridge so hopefully that works out.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #5385
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Leaving Monday for a little trip west, playing Mt. Kidd, Copper Point, and Radium Springs x2. Really hoping the weather cooperates
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 10:21 PM   #5386
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Leaving Monday for a little trip west, playing Mt. Kidd, Copper Point, and Radium Springs x2. Really hoping the weather cooperates
Sounds great! But springs twice seems… wasteful.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #5387
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got out last weekend for a trip to Kimberley and got a few rounds of golf in.

Wildsone wintered quite well outside of a few of their tee boxes. Greens were average on speed and slowed down with the rain (as expected). Overall I enjoyed the course and found it very forgiving for the most part.

Trickle Creek was the best course of the bunch this trip. Wintered so well. Was lush, green and true. We were there for a stag with some not hardcore golfers, so speed was an issue once or twice, but even as I offered to let the group behind us go through they said no as they enjoyed seeing us have fun. So I bought them bevereages to join and all was well. Pace of play was still only approx. 30 mins behind

Shadown Mountain was rough. Their greens took a hit this winter. Their tee boxes were pristine, but that was the best of it. Obivously it's a tough course, but when your put is bouncing along the green no matter where you are, it makes for a frustrating round.

Overall it was another great trip there and I was shocked to see the courses so quiet for a long weekend. We had no issues with tee times (even played 36 on Friday at Wildstone)
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 01:28 PM   #5388
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post

Wildsone wintered quite well outside of a few of their tee boxes. Greens were average on speed and slowed down with the rain (as expected). Overall I enjoyed the course and found it very forgiving for the most part.

Trickle Creek was the best course of the bunch this trip. Wintered so well. Was lush, green and true. We were there for a stag with some not hardcore golfers, so speed was an issue once or twice, but even as I offered to let the group behind us go through they said no as they enjoyed seeing us have fun. So I bought them bevereages to join and all was well. Pace of play was still only approx. 30 mins behind

Shadown Mountain was rough. Their greens took a hit this winter. Their tee boxes were pristine, but that was the best of it. Obivously it's a tough course, but when your put is bouncing along the green no matter where you are, it makes for a frustrating round.

Overall it was another great trip there and I was shocked to see the courses so quiet for a long weekend. We had no issues with tee times (even played 36 on Friday at Wildstone)
ohhh.... good to know. Heading to Kimberley next week and we're supposed to play Shadow. It's a good course, but poor greens doesn't make for a good round. We may switch to Wildstone.
Playing Trickle, Bootleg and Cranbrook as well.
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:15 PM   #5389
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I've found Kimberly/Cranbook to be hit or miss early in the season.

Courses in Invermere/Radium (except Greywolf) seem to winter better for whatever reason.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:12 PM   #5390
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Turned out to be a good day for golf. Played 18 holes in the morning/afternoon then stopped for a quick bite and then played another 9 for Mens League. Afterwards we had a few beers on the patio and watched the game on the big screen.

I am now the most hated guy in Nanton Mens League. I won the 50/50 for the second week in a row. I ended up splitting this weeks 50/50 with one of the girls who works in the pro shop. I joked when I bought my tickets that i'd give her half if I won. She was surprised when I gave her half.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #5391
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone play at Silver Springs? I have a foursome to use there this year but want to wait till the course is in great shape.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #5392
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
ohhh.... good to know. Heading to Kimberley next week and we're supposed to play Shadow. It's a good course, but poor greens doesn't make for a good round. We may switch to Wildstone.
Guys I played at Wildstone with last weekend said Bootleg is in bad shape. Too bad as I love it when it's good. Seems like it's been bad more than good the last couple of years, especially early season.

Wildstone was in great shape. Greens a bit shaggy but they're so difficult that's not all bad.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #5393
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Guys I played at Wildstone with last weekend said Bootleg is in bad shape. Too bad as I love it when it's good. Seems like it's been bad more than good the last couple of years, especially early season.

Wildstone was in great shape. Greens a bit shaggy but they're so difficult that's not all bad.
Crap, booked for two rounds there next week. It's my favorite course in the Cranbrook area.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #5394
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Crap, booked for two rounds there next week. It's my favorite course in the Cranbrook area.
It was just 2 guys' opinion. Maybe they were full of it. (They were from edmonton)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #5395
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
It was just 2 guys' opinion. Maybe they were full of it. (They were from edmonton)
A few years ago I was half way down a run on the backside of Lake Louise on a random Wednesday with my Aussie buddy. It had snowed a nice 10cms over night and was still puking when we had arrived for first lift in the morning. It cleared late morning and was one of the best days I'd been at the mountain as far as conditions.

Guy pulls up to us on the run while I was letting my buddy pass a section. He's got an open coat and doesn't look like he skis much. I give him the ol' "Great day out here isn't it?"...he replies, "Its ok, have you been to Marmot, way better." I asked him if he was from Edmonton, he was.

If you wake up every day in that city by choice, its like eating ##### for breakfast...and if you ever wondered if you ate ##### for breakfast most days of your life if you'd begin to like it...the answer is yes.

Ignore Edmonton should be a thing, have fun at the course you booked, I'm sure you'll have a good time.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #5396
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've found Kimberly/Cranbook to be hit or miss early in the season.

Courses in Invermere/Radium (except Greywolf) seem to winter better for whatever reason.
I wonder how much the elevation factors into it? Invermere is 60-80m lower than Cranbrook and 250m lower than Kimberly so might get a bit of a head start on warmer weather in the spring.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:06 AM   #5397
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Toss in that Kimberley is a crapshoot for weather as it is where there was rain down low at Wildstone last friday but that meant snow for Trickle.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #5398
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody ever played Wolf Creek down in Mesquite? Got any secret tips on the course? I've been wanting to play there for a while now and excited to finally be able to. Plus any little tricks I can withhold from my playing buddies might help in the pocket book
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #5399
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My Garmin finally R10 arrived. Does anybody have a setup in their basement? What mat and net do you use?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #5400
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Anybody ever played Wolf Creek down in Mesquite? Got any secret tips on the course? I've been wanting to play there for a while now and excited to finally be able to. Plus any little tricks I can withhold from my playing buddies might help in the pocket book
Many times. Can't think of any secrets or tips. Hit it straight, it's canyon target golf. Incredible vistas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow