Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2022, 08:24 AM   #2281
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't buy into the idea that something so new and ever changing is destined to follow a cyclical pattern. There are no shortage of stocks out there with a few repeated peaks, then a long tail downwards.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #2282
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I can't buy into the idea that something so new and ever changing is destined to follow a cyclical pattern. There are no shortage of stocks out there with a few repeated peaks, then a long tail downwards.
Sure but this has three booms after creation in 2009 in 2013, 2017, and 2021.

If you don't want to invest that is fine, it is risky, very risky. Probably a better bet than those stocks with long tail downwards but that isn't saying much.

Should anyone mortgage their house and buy BTC for the boom? No... But having some risky assets isn't terrible.

I invested in Eth from 2018-2020 in my TSFA and it was well worth it. I started selling off too soon though so I only made 4x vs the 10-15x I could have, opps.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #2283
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I could be wrong (and often am) but isn't Bitcoin designed this way, with a cyclical cycle due to its halving every 4 years. Simple supply and demand?

This current drop was even somewhat predictable due to the overall characteristics of the halving cycle.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #2284
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Presumably if you still see it going to a million in 9 years, you'd be shovelling every dollar you have into it, no? Or do you recognize risks that make that a poor choice?
Nah, I have never argued against diversification...I have said multiple times I haven't bought any Bitcoin since early 2017. (when this thread mocked peak bubble $1500 bitcoin) When you amass a certain amount it doesn't make sense to buy more. I have about 50 investments I think will go up exponentially in the next 10 years or so. If only 30 of them hit I will be laughing.

I can't lose on crypto, I have already taken out more than my initial investment and spread it out among other things.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-12-2022 at 01:00 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 02:48 PM   #2285
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not a fancy crypto expert but losing 98% in 24 hours seems bad. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/05/12/...below-peg.html
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:19 PM   #2286
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I’m not a fancy crypto expert but losing 98% in 24 hours seems bad. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/05/12/...below-peg.html
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #2287
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It hit 80k Canadian in 2021...again a decent call at the time
still have 9 years left on the other one

I haven't bought a Bitcoin since early 2017 and I have been pretty clear about that
No, calling for it to be $100k at year end, and it ends the year lower than when you made the call, is not 'a decent call at the time'.

Also, if you haven't bought since 2017, you really shouldn't be promoting it to others.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #2288
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 05-12-2022, 07:15 PM   #2289
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

As you might expect Blackberry's stock collapsed in 2010 from its high of 137 to 6 or 7 dollars a stock but Blackberry still beats out the Dow Average even though it is little more than a research company with patent fees now, as an investment it always had intrinsic value, the problem with individual cryptos rather than cryptos in general is they dont have any intrinsic value, when they fall they can fall to nothing
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #2290
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I love this guy
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 07:45 PM   #2291
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My god…crypto is so ####ing stupid.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #2292
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Nah, I have never argued against diversification...I have said multiple times I haven't bought any Bitcoin since early 2017. (when this thread mocked peak bubble $1500 bitcoin) When you amass a certain amount it doesn't make sense to buy more. I have about 50 investments I think will go up exponentially in the next 10 years or so. If only 30 of them hit I will be laughing.

I can't lose on crypto, I have already taken out more than my initial investment and spread it out among other things.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #2293
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 05-12-2022, 08:17 PM   #2294
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The good old Musk strategy, the thing is Musk tends to yell loudly about things that aren't related to his products (just to get attention and remind people he is there) and fix the products when stuff is reported.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #2295
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure the stereotypical crypto bro's will take these crashes well and not blame this all on the media and the deep state.

(and yes - not all crypto investors fall under the crypto bro monkier)
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 03:14 PM   #2296
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No, calling for it to be $100k at year end, and it ends the year lower than when you made the call, is not 'a decent call at the time'.

Also, if you haven't bought since 2017, you really shouldn't be promoting it to others.
Sorry it only doubled after that call it didn't triple...boy is my face red.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #2297
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Yes investments, small portion is crypto but it has given me the biggest returns so naturally it's percentage of my portfolio has increased.

Stock market isn't exactly hot ATM either

BTC having a decent day...up over 2%

Last edited by dino7c; 05-13-2022 at 03:26 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #2298
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm far from an expert on cryptocurrency, but it seems to have lost it's way. The whole intent of cryptocurrency was to replace a flawed fiat currency system. This latest collapse started when UST became "depegged" from the US dollar as I've read. This seems very ironic to me.

There's ~7800 cryptocurrencies out there. It appears to me, the main goal of a lot of people is to get in early on the latest crypto currency, hope it goes on a run, then get out back into the safe haven of a fiat currency....."I just made $xxxxx on yyyy crytpo!"..... Again, very ironic to me.

The crypto market is similar to penny gold mining stocks. Instead of pumping the next great lease, white papers are pumped instead. Beware of Bre-x

Until crypto's move from being a valueless commodity to what it was actually intended to be - a form of currency, these wild swings are inevitable.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:50 PM   #2299
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow. Looks like the end for Terra. The blockchain was halted and Binance halted trading. UST’s at $0.15 and Luna’s at $0.0000922. Luna was at $78 a week ago and over $100 just over a month ago.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #2300
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I'm far from an expert on cryptocurrency, but it seems to have lost it's way. The whole intent of cryptocurrency was to replace a flawed fiat currency system. This latest collapse started when UST became "depegged" from the US dollar as I've read. This seems very ironic to me.

There's ~7800 cryptocurrencies out there. It appears to me, the main goal of a lot of people is to get in early on the latest crypto currency, hope it goes on a run, then get out back into the safe haven of a fiat currency....."I just made $xxxxx on yyyy crytpo!"..... Again, very ironic to me.

The crypto market is similar to penny gold mining stocks. Instead of pumping the next great lease, white papers are pumped instead. Beware of Bre-x

Until crypto's move from being a valueless commodity to what it was actually intended to be - a form of currency, these wild swings are inevitable.
Sort of the catch-22 here. How will anyone think crypto is a viable currency with such wild fluctuations?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum