Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #61
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think people don’t understand what unmoderated free speech looks like. It has never actually been a thing.
Well, we have some idea of what it may look like. It's just going to be much mire bizarre and disgusting.

Note Jerry in the corner of the scene just calmly looking down at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 01:13 PM   #62
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Deal is done. I bought 100 shares when it was near all time lows now I feel uber bad for not buying way more. 20/20 hindsight pain.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:13 PM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've seen advertisers in the past leave Youtube becuase they didn't want their ad playing over a video of something they weren't comfortable with. Youtube responded by moderating more. What will the Twitter play be in that circumstance?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:15 PM   #64
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Holy carp DOGE is spiking now I feel better.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:18 PM   #65
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Could be, citation needed. Suppose that is true, how? Musk is not exactly aligned with the corporate left and the left in general why would devoted leftists buy his products?
Its not rocket appliances

Look at EV adoption by state
Look at policies of Left vs. Right leaning political parties
Look at voting habits of people who roll coal and own truck nuts

I am not saying ALL of course but you have to be pretty obtuse not to concede that people that LEAN left are more LIKELY to buy an EV right now

We have conservatives in Canada getting all riled up about a tax on ICE trucks and SUV's that doesn't exist and republicans in the US trying to add extra taxes to owning EVs
Old 04-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #66
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Anecdotally all the anti-EV people I know lean right.. though they do seem to be drying up and becoming more accepting.

But like GGG mentioned, unmoderated speech isn't something most people have seen. You won't build a successful platform on it, you build a place for racists and trolls to drown out everyone else.

One guy I know says Elon will show the world that Twitter has anti-conservative algorithms. Lol sure.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #67
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Anecdotally all the anti-EV people I know lean right.. though they do seem to be drying up and becoming more accepting.

But like GGG mentioned, unmoderated speech isn't something most people have seen. You won't build a successful platform on it, you build a place for racists and trolls to drown out everyone else.

One guy I know says Elon will show the world that Twitter has anti-conservative algorithms. Lol sure.
That would be like installing anti-money making algorithms…
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #68
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
But Twitter doesn't care about money they care about furthering the liberal agenda and silencing conservatives and taking away your freedoms.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #69
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Highly suspect all these companies algorithms are all about promoting engagement and very little out there gets more engagement then 'successful' right wingers with takes. The left can't resist engaging the troll to prove themselves smarter and there's about 1,000,000 people from the right trying to gain fame by responding under the more successful people. People made careers out of being popular Trump reply guys.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:58 PM   #70
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
But Twitter doesn't care about money they care about furthering the liberal agenda and silencing conservatives and taking away your freedoms.
Twitter is bad at making money recently. Jack Dorsey (remember him?) called the Twitter board dysfunctional clearly the company needs a shake up.

On a related note DWAC is tanking today.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #71
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but:

• If immense power by one voice is a concern with Twitter, how do people feel about 4 out of the Top 5 social media communities being controlled by Meta/Zuckerberg?
Is this a serious question? Zuckerberg and Facebook are generally reviled by most people who actually care about these things.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:13 PM   #72
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Is this a serious question? Zuckerberg and Facebook are generally reviled by most people who actually care about these things.
Yet. Here we are in a Facebook world.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #73
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:38 PM   #74
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Yet. Here we are in a Facebook world.
Agreed, but that's more of an anti-trust failure than it is because people want it to be so.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #75
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Ah yes, all those billions of conscientious people, who after taking a short pause to care deeply about the issue, join the rest of us in mindlessly scrolling through Instagram to find the next hit of social dopamine.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #76
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems like a terrible business decision, a declining social media platform that doesnt make much money and like all mass social media platforms so far has a built in generational sell by date
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #77
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its less of a business decision and more of a "for humanity" transaction in his view.

I'm sure he'll find a way to make buckets of money on it, but ultimately, Twitter being reliant on advertisers so much for its valuation and existence meant it became a bit counter to its original vision and what it could be. Which I think anyone can agree regardless of politics.

If there is anyone I 'trust' in the billionaire-sphere to have legit, wholesome intentions, its Elon. Dude could be kicking back doing nothing but travelling and spending money like Bezos, but here he is with his hands in a million jars at once working on big problems.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #78
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
seems like a terrible business decision, a declining social media platform that doesnt make much money and like all mass social media platforms so far has a built in generational sell by date
We'll circle back to this.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #79
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Musk is rapidly becoming a classic depiction of a Bond movie villain. I never liked his public persona for the ridiculously outlandish statements and for how ruthlessly he rules his companies (according to publicly known information and some personal anecdotes of my best friend who used to work for him as one of the lead metal engineers at SpaceX). But you've got to admit, he is not a boring guy. I love how he consistently riles everyone's feathers the wrong way and then enjoys the discomfort that ensues.

The impression I get of him is that he is disconnected from social norms/convention which is in large part just his personality which is enigmatic in itself. And because he made it after risking all his capital early on and some that was lent to him, he's formed an identity around taking risks and thinking on a grandiose level outside the box. He's never been about social integration, but ingenuity and perseverance. That can be both positive and negative. Someone with that kind of power and motivations can advance us in meaningful ways with his projects, but he doesn't seem to be concerned about social receptability or even ethics on some levels, when you consider the implications of Neuralink, so what's going to keep a guy like that in check?

Basically I just don't understand the motivation to do this, aside from making Twitter how he personally would like it to function. Seems like an expensive way to go about controlling a little app.

Seems it would be easier to just start his own platform for people up his alley rather than literally take Twitter to tweak it.

But anything social media that is focused on popularity and trends doesn't seem like his area or forte to begin with.

I'm curious to hear the motivation from him because if it's just a power flex of sorts to expand his influence, its a strange one.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-25-2022 at 03:00 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely think it's a power flex as he's hitting the iron while it's hot as richest man in the world today will be replaced by someone else tomorrow and he's making his mark while he can. This purchase ensures that he's not going anywhere for some time even if/when legacy automakers catch up and surpass Tesla.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: