Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2022, 06:52 AM   #941
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

That was quite the servers game. Both had tremendous serves and for the most part it came down to who could break the other to win a set.

Felix lost hs composure in the last set and was making some return errors that ultimately cost him the match. Shots he made earlier were either hitting the net or going long.

Overall it was a fun match and probably one that will be remembered as one the greats of all time.

Great time to have insomnia.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:38 AM   #942
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as ranking all time matches at the Aussie Open is concerned, the 2012 final will likely never be topped and the 2017 final was epic as well. As far as quarter-final matches are concerned, Stan the Man beat Novak 9-7 in the 5th set in 2014. This match we just saw is likely very close to that one.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:57 AM   #943
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

What. A. Point.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1486269392619032576
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #944
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
As far as ranking all time matches at the Aussie Open is concerned, the 2012 final will likely never be topped and the 2017 final was epic as well. As far as quarter-final matches are concerned, Stan the Man beat Novak 9-7 in the 5th set in 2014. This match we just saw is likely very close to that one.
Unfortunate I could not muster the power to stay up into the early hours of the morning again last night to watch what looks like one heck of a match, but very pleased that both Canadians have finally shown the ability to hang with 2 of the best players in the world, at a major, for 4+ hours.

Felix is very close to some serious accomplishments if he continues to build on what he has already achieved in the last 12 months.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:17 AM   #945
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Total points, 182 for Medvedev, 182 for Felix. Unreal.

I did not foresee Felix getting match point against Medvedev. That was probably the match of his life, I'm guessing? Looking at the highlights it appeared he played utterly ridiculous tennis. And yet utterly ridiculous tennis is still somehow not good enough?

When it's that close you can make yourself feel a bit better by blaming the roof closure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 08:23 AM   #946
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What. A. Point.
Felix with the balanced, textbook footwork and groundstrokes, Meddy with the constant octopus flail. if I only watched this point and didn't know who they were, there's no way I'd correctly guess who is the world #2 and USO champion. it's great that there's more than one way to tennis...these guys are going to have more classics against each other in the next few years.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:33 AM   #947
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really unfortunate to have that roof delay in the 3rd set tiebreaker as it seemed to be an advantage for Medvedev. Still a very impressive tournament for Canada's to male stars. Shapo and Felix both showed that they are getting very, very close to joining that top level.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #948
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lest we forget, he recently lost 6-4 6-0 to Medvedev (dropped eight straight games).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1486348808661389323

Last edited by dash_pinched; 01-26-2022 at 09:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #949
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With no more Canadians left, who's ready to jump aboard the Rafa train to 21? Two more wins , not going to be easy for sure but if he can do it, it would be his sweetest title ever.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #950
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
With no more Canadians left, who's ready to jump aboard the Rafa train to 21? Two more wins , not going to be easy for sure but if he can do it, it would be his sweetest title ever.
I think I would like to see it just to witness the Novak fan meltdowns - I saw plenty of posts from people refusing to watch the Aussie Open after Novak was deported, all I can say is you've missed some fantastic tennis.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #951
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, for all those Novak fans claiming that this year's Aussie Open champion should have an asterisk beside it, does that also apply to the 2016 French Open that Novak won? No Roger at that tourney and Rafa withdrew midway due to injury.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #952
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, for all those Novak fans claiming that this year's Aussie Open champion should have an asterisk beside it, does that also apply to the 2016 French Open that Novak won? No Roger at that tourney and Rafa withdrew midway due to injury.
Exactly! Can't thank this post enough. Rafa has missed so many Slams due to injury compared to Novak or Roger.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #953
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are no asterisks next to any grand slam… except for the French, of course, in which every year has an asterisk next to it because it’s not played on a real surface.

Anyway of the players left, it would be kind of nice to see Berretini get one, but I’m fine with anyone but Tsitsipas. It would be really funny if Medvedev won everything this year and held all four slams at the same time after denying Novak the same, so I’ll root for that chaos for the moment.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #954
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Held on for this long to check the score and confirm what I expected

Good to see he didn’t fold and battled til the end.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:51 PM   #955
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh $#!+ I went to bed last night with Felix up 2 sets & crusing, figured he had it in the bag and didn't come back and check on the score until now. Ouch this one hurts for him. Could have had the inside track on a major title if he could have closed it out. Good news is he's got a bright future ahead of him and, it would seem, the potential to win majors at some point.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #956
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Nope.

FedEx all day, every day.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:00 AM   #957
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1486670357415268358
Old 01-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #958
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, which is great and all, but... did you watch what Collins did to Swiatek? Even just watch the highlights. What the hell happened there? Swiatek couldn't even make her own service games competitive. I'm not sure when Collins turned into Djokovic but she's made some sort of Faustian bargain. You hope that level stays up for the final to make it an unstoppable force / immovable object situation.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:09 AM   #959
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Swiatek ran out of gas. She had to play a grueling 3 set match the day before in the heat and didn't get any rest time.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:14 AM   #960
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Ash Barty is one of the most likeable players on tour. What an opportunity for her to win on home court.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post: