Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2022, 06:39 PM   #1501
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just wait until you get grey meat, spoiled vegetables and a bunch of random substitutions because they don’t have what you want.

There are some benefits to picking your own stuff.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 06:43 PM   #1502
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

No issues with that here, but I did consider that for stuff like choosing steaks. This order the only meat was ground beef and chicken breast so I was happy with everything they grabbed, the few substitutions they made were upgrades so worked out well for me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #1503
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Tried online grocery ordering and curbside pickup for the first time today. Wow, why didn't I start doing this earlier? I'm never stepping foot in a grocery store again
We just started a few months ago and I had the same reaction. Saves me an hour, it’s fantastic.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:40 AM   #1504
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've been doing it since the start of the pandemic. It's mostly good, but sometimes it sucks when they don't have the one thing you need for a meal you planned. If I was in the store, I'd find something else, but the substitutions they do are a gamble. Had a few bad produce picks, but you can call and get it refunded.

And they uses so many bags....I'm pretty sure toothpaste can live in the same bag with cereal, it'll be just fine. It doesn't need it's own separate bag.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 07:21 AM   #1505
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We've been doing it since the start of the pandemic. It's mostly good, but sometimes it sucks when they don't have the one thing you need for a meal you planned. If I was in the store, I'd find something else, but the substitutions they do are a gamble. Had a few bad produce picks, but you can call and get it refunded.

And they uses so many bags....I'm pretty sure toothpaste can live in the same bag with cereal, it'll be just fine. It doesn't need it's own separate bag.
The bags are over the top, no doubt.

The only weird substitution issue we had was we bought a small block of $8 smoked cheddar for a recipe and it was substituted with a $22 monster block! It was kind of hilarious, but we’re so cheap at the store that I was almost thankful for the gluttonous size and have been enjoying delicious cheese all month.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #1506
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The bags are over the top, no doubt.

The only weird substitution issue we had was we bought a small block of $8 smoked cheddar for a recipe and it was substituted with a $22 monster block! It was kind of hilarious, but we’re so cheap at the store that I was almost thankful for the gluttonous size and have been enjoying delicious cheese all month.

i think our favourite "substitution" was when we wanted a head of iceberg lettuce and ended up with a huge green cabbage instead. ok - i get it - they are both round and green, but come on, even 14 year old me knew the difference between cabbage and lettuce! ha!

one thing i found here in kelowna is when i got to superstore and called the 'pick up number' they'd go over the substitutions - if kept a couple of the substitutions but declined the bulk of them, they seemed to always refund the cost of all the substitutions (even the stuff we kept). that happened a lot and we'd never realize until checking the receipt at home as we unloaded everything
Old 01-20-2022, 11:23 AM   #1507
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Superstore the green bags, it makes no sense, I agree. Too many bags. The brown ones on the other hand IIRC represent substitutions they often keep in the area so that they can keep pace with online order delivery, so that one won't be going away for good reason.

I like using online ordering for things you basically can't screw up. For mainly produce and certain meats, I like doing that myself.

One thing I did notice, is that for some stores that have some in store deals, you occasionally won't get those same deals if you order online (even if picking up from the same store). TBH, unless you walked into the store, how would you know anyways? Not to mention, on occasion my wife orders produce, they say they have none that isn't gross, I walk inside to grab a few things that were missed, I walk out with it because either the picker was lazy, or a new pallet of stuff came out after the order was picked.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:19 PM   #1508
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Tried online grocery ordering and curbside pickup for the first time today. Wow, why didn't I start doing this earlier? I'm never stepping foot in a grocery store again
Depends what you're buying, I guess. I'm pretty specific for fruits and meats and didn't like the experience of having whatever the picker brought out. I might be the outlier though, as I'm an expensive meat shopper.

I also buy a lot of fruits/vegetables, so who knows.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-23-2022 at 10:24 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:22 PM   #1509
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
We just started a few months ago and I had the same reaction. Saves me an hour, it’s fantastic.
An hour? Buying for anywhere from 1-4 people I can't recall ever spending more than 20 minutes in a grocery store (including 1-6 mins for checkout depending on lines/self checkout availability etc), unless it's Costco and super busy, but I ditched that stupid experience and just do Safeway/Coop now.

This isn't critical of you (as it's grocery shopping so who cares) but do you use a list or do a lot of browsing and wandering? I've always been quick with things like that, but I can't picture going in with a list/general idea of what I need (regardless of how many to buy for, unless it was a massive family like 6+) and going around the isles for an hour, looking and picking.

I'd go crazy if I found myself wandering around that long.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-23-2022 at 10:30 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:30 PM   #1510
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Depends what you're buying, I guess. I'm pretty specific for fruits and meats and didn't like the experience of having whatever the picker brought out. I might be the outlier though, as I'm an expensive meat shopper.

I also buy a lot of fruits/vegetables, so who knows.
Yeah that's a lot of it for sure. My produce selection is very limited. A bushel of bananas and a bag of spinach, I'm good to go. Can't really screw that up.

Downside to online ordering, I find I'm spending more money now. When I go in the store I don't wanna be there, so I grab what I need and I leave. Now I'm browsing and thinking more since it's so easy
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #1511
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find the opposite, when I walk around the grocery store I tend to grab a bunch of stuff that wasn't on my list. When shopping online I just go with the meal plan and find it easier to bargain shop and get deals.

I am bad for loading up my cart in store so that's just a personal issue haha
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #1512
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We had a few Calgary and area teams down south here for a U15 tournament this past weekend. AA & Tier 1. As a ref, I can honestly say that I've never given so many in game fist bumps as I did this past weekend. It felt good to be back with kids who just love hockey. Sure there was one Edmonton team where the coaches/parents could pound sand, but outside of that you could see kids who wanted to play just to play.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 04:18 PM   #1513
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, refs are real people?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:41 AM   #1514
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Wait, refs are real people?
Hockey & soccer, could learn from Rugby.

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 08:33 AM   #1515
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My son has been 14 for four months. Finally took him out in the manual transmission yesterday. I was expecting the usual struggles for a new driver using a clutch. Nope, this dude nailed it riiiiiight away.

My trick for teaching (not that I'm taking credit for him doing so well) is to make my kids put their left hand on their left knee. Make them push down with their hand on the clutch leg. This helps them to control how fast they release the clutch. It seems to really work.

Anyway, I thought we were just going to fata around in a parking lot for his first day in standard, but he ended up driving home in it including stopping at lights, dual turns, rowing through the gears. It was wild!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #1516
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My son has been 14 for four months. Finally took him out in the manual transmission yesterday. I was expecting the usual struggles for a new driver using a clutch. Nope, this dude nailed it riiiiiight away.

My trick for teaching (not that I'm taking credit for him doing so well) is to make my kids put their left hand on their left knee. Make them push down with their hand on the clutch leg. This helps them to control how fast they release the clutch. It seems to really work.

Anyway, I thought we were just going to fata around in a parking lot for his first day in standard, but he ended up driving home in it including stopping at lights, dual turns, rowing through the gears. It was wild!
Good tip

Another is to give them permission to stall the vehicle.

Take them to a parking lot and have them just find the friction point, generally new drivers will take a couple of tries which causes stalling, but this few stalls in a controlled environment avoid many while out on the road.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #1517
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Hockey & soccer, could learn from Rugby.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...t-wayne-barnes

Quote:
European media reported that Barnes was heard on the match telecast telling Stade's Australian skipper Tala Gray that Latu had “looked “looked straight at me and shouted, ‘f...ing hell!”

Gray then reportedly quipped to Barnes: “He spoke French. I don’t think you understood that properly.”

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #1518
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Good job!
He has probably been secretly driving his friends’ cars for the last year
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 11:11 AM   #1519
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm glad to see good dads out there when they're teaching kids how to drive. My dad was a prick and scared me (all 4 of us really) half to death when he was "teaching" us to drive. I didn't learn to drive a manual transmission until my 20s because of him and a family friend took me out and taught me and was so calm and gentle with her instruction - I learned in no time at all. I'm a good deal older than my younger brothers, so after I got married, my husband was taking 2 of my younger brothers out for driving lessons as soon as they got their learners, because our dad was so fricking rude.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #1520
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got back from a run outside. what a great day!