Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2022, 08:41 PM   #4201
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Eternals. I almost made it to the 15:00 mark.
Lol some of you have such low tolerance for what is ultimately fictional entertainment, it's pretty funny.

Are you also picky eaters?

(I'm just teasing/giving flak)
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:43 PM   #4202
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
The Green Knight was lame and boring. Not my kind of film I guess.
This one seems Very divisive.

Going to have to check it out to see which side of the fence I fall on. Is it streaming on a service now?
Old 01-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #4203
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lol some of you have such low tolerance for what is ultimately fictional entertainment, it's pretty funny.

Are you also picky eaters?

(I'm just teasing/giving flak)
Does it get better? I was getting a seriously unhealthy dose of cheese.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:41 PM   #4204
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I watched the last duel the other night and I think it was a solid film. The actual duel at the end was an excellent fight scene

Spoiler!

I watched lamb as well. An a24 film some might have seen the preview for. I thought it was really good having zero expectations on what kind of movie it was going to be. I would recommend for people who like slow burns and low-dialogue films
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:25 PM   #4205
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Does it get better? I was getting a seriously unhealthy dose of cheese.
It gets.... places.

But Nanjiani's camera man's comic relief is can't miss.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:09 AM   #4206
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched The Odessa Files, a 70s British political thriller. It's about a journalist that stumbles upon a secret SS organization called Odessa that after the war was hiding former SS members in plain sight by changing their identities, with the goal of infiltrating many West German institutions (police, judges, politicians, ext) to regain power.

Has a very young John Voight and was shot on location in West Germany. Highly recommend it, great tension through out, never gets boring constantly engaging and very well written.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #4207
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Green Knight was lame and boring. Not my kind of film I guess.
That's fair. It's one of those movies that won't be universally loved as the pacing is slow and some people will get bored. I think as I have aged my preferences have shifted as I enjoy the artsy movies that favor story, atmosphere, visuals and weirdness over straight up action so this was right in my wheelhouse. I enjoyed the story, main character, visuals, and I feel the ending delivered.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #4208
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Managed to make it all the way through Eternals, it was the exact movie I suspected it was. Boring story, boring writing, boring actors, nothing about it stands out in any way. I don't even know why Marvel paid the money to get Angelina Jolie in this, you could have replaced her with any unknown actress (or a robot) and it wouldn't have affected things in the slightest. I was kind of relieved that there was no direct ties or teasers into the rest of the MCU, I'm kinda hoping that Marvel sees how badly they bungled this one and lets all of these boring characters disappear
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #4209
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Managed to make it all the way through Eternals, it was the exact movie I suspected it was. Boring story, boring writing, boring actors, nothing about it stands out in any way. I don't even know why Marvel paid the money to get Angelina Jolie in this, you could have replaced her with any unknown actress (or a robot) and it wouldn't have affected things in the slightest. I was kind of relieved that there was no direct ties or teasers into the rest of the MCU, I'm kinda hoping that Marvel sees how badly they bungled this one and lets all of these boring characters disappear
It was watchable but its quite possible that Kit and his 10 minutes at the beginning and end (particularly his chemistry & relationship with Cersei) were the best parts.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:40 AM   #4210
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Army of Thieves. Decent movie when they are planning and pulling off the heists. Too much filler though at some points. Don't think I'll watch the sequel .
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:14 AM   #4211
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Watched Army of Thieves. Decent movie when they are planning and pulling off the heists. Too much filler though at some points. Don't think I'll watch the sequel .
I loved the movie the whole way through.
I enjoyed the filler as Diester was such a good character.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #4212
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
This one seems Very divisive.

Going to have to check it out to see which side of the fence I fall on. Is it streaming on a service now?
There’s one moment in the Green Knight that’s wholly unnecessary and ends up undermining the entire rest of the film.

Spoilers for spoilers and content

Spoiler!
Old 01-17-2022, 01:31 PM   #4213
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I wanted to like Ghostbusters: Afterlife, but to me it's more like a 12-year old's Ghostbuster fanfiction than a true sequel to the first 2. The teenagers were alright, but the kids were not, especially the Asian podcast kid. Everytime he spoke my eyes wanted to roll back in their head. It was also missing most of the goofy charm of the original, the director was taking the source material way too seriously

Why is it so hard to make another regular Ghostbusters movie? Why does it have to be a kids movie, or a female empowerment piece?
Opposite for me. I'm just such a cynic now that I was basically expecting to be disappointed

For the most part the humour was more the dry, subtle type like in the original. The Shandor lore was a great way to pick things up (I mean the original actors are quite old, so how else do you do a sequel?) and it balanced fun and serious pretty well. The tone was different from Ghostbusters, but I don’t think that’ll ever be replicated again.

The focus on the kids worked well enough for me: although I don’t think I connected or related to them as well as I could have. For instance in Stranger Things, we were those kids, and it was just brilliant.

Not here, though. In Ghostbusters Afterlife, there was no such connection to the younger cast, it was more like hanging out with my nieces and I was pretending to be interested in their interests but under the surface have no idea what or who these aliens are.

Was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the movie.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:12 PM   #4214
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

“The Rescue” documentary on Disney Plus (National Geographic) that covers the rescue of the boys in the cave in Thailand is a remarkable story. Found it to be a pretty incredible watch.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:40 AM   #4215
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Last Duel was a fantastic but I must say no amount of early exposition is going to convince me Adam Driver is a handsome man.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #4216
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
The Last Duel was a fantastic but I must say no amount of early exposition is going to convince me Adam Driver is a handsome man.
I had this discussion with my GF and it appears to come down to two things

(1) his height (duh)

(2) while not conventionally handsome many women find him to be attractive. Maybe its energy? maybe its height? it's probably just height
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:59 AM   #4217
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The French Dispatch.

I so wanted to like this movie.

The 3rd story was well done, but the other two fell a but flat.

Shame I like Wes Anderson movies generally.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:58 PM   #4218
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The French Dispatch.

I so wanted to like this movie.

The 3rd story was well done, but the other two fell a but flat.

Shame I like Wes Anderson movies generally.
I thought the 1st was the best, personally, the 2nd not so engaging, but had some moments, and the 3rd was okay but had good energy.

Yeah, an inconsistent collection of short films rather than a cohesive full film, but still better than many, many other films I can think of.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:45 AM   #4219
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Yeah, Damon & his character is 'manlier' in every regard, and a dominant leader and fighter. But his bleached goat scruff is doing him no favours in this one lol.

I have trouble believing Driver would be swooned over either, given how his character was portrayed. You still get such angsty undertones carrying through various roles of his.

But frankly both characters had their repulsive moments, including Damon's prideful venting/stubbornness and Driver's, well uh, creepy rapist tendencies. Sorry I forget the character names..

Also have to second that earlier comment. The duel itself is fantastic. Without knowing the outcome, you can't help but be on edge. Couple fun twists and turns.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 06:27 PM   #4220
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sleeper Movie,
Riders of Justice on Crave with Mads Mikkelson who is always great IMO.
Think Big Bang Theory type nerds meet a Nobody type character and go on revenge quest.
Revenge , humour, morality, and it’s a Christmas show .

It’s a Danish film and I could only understand with CC however I caught the humour but wish I understood the language as it seemed the banter was greater verses what CC in English could convey.

Fun little bit entertainment. Not highbrow , mostly popcorn and skittles.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post: