Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #61
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
You just said you think Russia is going to intervene in Kazakhstan? And they did. There is no trying.

Kazakhstan has some pretty decent oil reserves in addition to being a producer of 35% of the world's uranium. It is actually very strategic to Russia - just as much as Ukraine.
China has also been increasing their foreign policy efforts aggressively in Kazakhstan recently. Not that China and Russia are enemies, but Russia can't really afford to let another country become more influential than they are in that region.

Not that I care much for Russia as an international actor or agree with what they see as their natural right to control the region, but it is no different than what other global powers do to protect their interests.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #62
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not really on topic, but I saw this news story and it made me think of this thread.

British warship involved in collision with Russian submarine during search operation, MoD confirms
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #63
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sure Putin will find this triggering. Canada is making plans to build an ammunitions factory in Ukraine.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...ns-with-russia
Old 01-13-2022, 02:18 PM   #64
JoseCuervo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

US intel is stating that they believe the Russian invasion of Ukraine is imminent. They believe Russia is planning some sort of “false flag” to justify it.

I sure hope they are wrong, as if they are right and this happens, this is going to be tragic.
JoseCuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:32 PM   #65
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseCuervo View Post
US intel is stating that they believe the Russian invasion of Ukraine is imminent. They believe Russia is planning some sort of “false flag” to justify it.

I sure hope they are wrong, as if they are right and this happens, this is going to be tragic.
Is Russia planning to invade all of the Ukraine? Just annex another portion?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:05 PM   #66
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Russia wants NATO out of Ukrainian hands and assurances that Ukraine will never join the Alliance. Ukraine wants defense against an untrustworthy, encroaching bully who makes claims to Ukrainian land based on historical and ethnic grounds and has already taken key territory (e.g. Crimea).

Effectively, Russia thinks NATO is getting "too close" and feels threatened.

Talks between Russian and NATO broke down today, but I personally don't feel like an invasion is likely at this given moment. I think there will be a few more rounds of discussion before that happens as no one wants to "blink" but they both know someone has to blink (or they both blink at the same time). But I could be wrong.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #67
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseCuervo View Post

Do you have a link to back that up? Not saying it couldn't be true, but I'm not going to take the word of a rando on the Internet about it, either.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #68
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Do you have a link to back that up? Not saying it couldn't be true, but I'm not going to take the word of a rando on the Internet about it, either.
Not a link to that story directly, but NATO leaders seem to think things are heading down that path.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nat...berg-1.6312533

And just to give everyone sweet dreams, Bosnia continues to heat up again with nasty Russian "biker gangs" showing up. Keep in mind that the last time around in the former Yugoslavia and again in Ukraine, Russian "biker gangs" acted like provacateurs and organized rogue militia groups.

https://www.rferl.org/a/republika-sr.../31646317.html

And straight up Putin supported paramilitaries:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...kin-mp-3521326

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-13-2022 at 09:11 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:39 PM   #69
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #70
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Not a link to that story directly, but NATO leaders seem to think things are heading down that path.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nat...berg-1.6312533

And just to give everyone sweet dreams, Bosnia continues to heat up again with nasty Russian "biker gangs" showing up. Keep in mind that the last time around in the former Yugoslavia and again in Ukraine, Russian "biker gangs" acted like provacateurs and organized rogue militia groups.
I believe that quote comes from US Senator, Chris Murphy, via NBC reporter Andrea Mitchell. circa 5 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/...C-mfDkgJApAAAA

Quote:
On Ukraine trip,
@ChrisMurphyCT
: "We have significant intel that tells us this invasion is perhaps imminent. That has not always been shared, our view of the seriousness of this invasion, by some of our partners in/around Europe. So we want to bring that intel to Pres. Zelensky"
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #71
JoseCuervo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I believe that quote comes from US Senator, Chris Murphy, via NBC reporter Andrea Mitchell. circa 5 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/...C-mfDkgJApAAAA
That is where I originally read it as well. Since then most of the major news agencies have reported it as well.

This Twitter is where I go for real time current event news pertaining to world events. The account is really accurate and dependable. http://https://mobile.twitter.com/ELINTNews
The Following User Says Thank You to JoseCuervo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 09:38 PM   #72
JoseCuervo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I could see them going all the way to the Dnieper river.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #73
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia...ment-1.6313930

Russia hints at staging a military presence in Cuba and Venezuela if the West doesn't back down.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:40 AM   #74
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bunch of Ukrainian government sites just got hit with a cyber attack. Can only guess as to who might be the culprit.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ps-2022-01-14/

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-14-2022 at 02:54 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #75
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Backing up the earlier talk about pretext to war, and Russian prep.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-off...source=twitter

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The Biden administration has determined a Russian effort is underway to create a pretext for its troops to potentially further invade Ukraine, and Moscow has already prepositioned operatives to conduct "a false-flag operation" in eastern Ukraine, a U.S. official said Friday.
The administration believes Russia is also laying the groundwork through a social media disinformation campaign by framing Ukraine as an aggressor that has been preparing an imminent attack against Russian forces in eastern Ukraine, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official wasn't authorized to discuss sensitive intelligence on the record,
U.S. intelligence officials have determined Russia has already dispatched operatives trained in urban warfare who could use explosives to carry out acts of sabotage against Russia's own proxy forces -- blaming the acts on Ukraine -- if Russian President Vladimir Putin decides he wants to move forward with an invasion, the official added.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #76
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia...ment-1.6313930

Russia hints at staging a military presence in Cuba and Venezuela if the West doesn't back down.

I don't think that's earth shattering or really destabilizing on its own. Russia has a right to port agreement with Cuba. They've made big shows with their Navy doing port visits. I also think there's a Russian Military Intelligence and Electronic gathering base on Cuba.

Something more along the lines of building a submarine base on Cuba in the open might be a cause for concern, especially if it services Missile Boats. The American's have always been paranoid about Russian missile boats that close to the American coast because a decapitation strike in minutes becomes a reality.

Putting conventional troops in Venezuela in itself would be more about dragging the flag then anything else. Again the same thing applies, the Russian's could access their ports. Both Cuba and Venezuela could also give Naval Aviation bases which could threaten the US South Pacific.

I doubt that the Russian's would push it too far and risk Nuclear brinkmanship that close to the States ever again.

I don't think that the Russians have the sheer number of long range Bombers that they used to and they still rely a lot on the Backfire Bomber though it can carry up to 10 of their KH-15 anti ship hyper sonic long range missiles. The more advanced Blackjack can carry about a dozen missiles.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #77
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
A bunch of Ukrainian government sites just got hit with a cyber attack. Can only guess as to who might be the culprit.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ps-2022-01-14/
Langley?
Old 01-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #78
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, pretty sure the writing was on the wall for this one months ago when a few tank battalions and over 150,000 personnel got stationed on the border.

Honestly figured Russia would use the 2022 Donbas elections as pre-text / support for helping their "true" independence from Kiev. Still could, but almost seems theyre going the false-flag route instead. Gonna be a shltstorm - Crimea over again
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:44 PM   #79
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default 2022: The year the world returns to war?

I would think Russia had already achieved its desired result, by legitimizing the Donetsk People’s Republic and Lugansk Republic, both regions which are in Ukraine, but under de-facto autonomous status, with continued financial and military support by Russia.

I can’t see NATO ever allowing Ukraine to join the organization, while those regions were in the uncertain state they’re currently in.

With that said, and unfortunately, based on the rhetoric being displayed by Russia, I fully expect the situation to get a whole lot uglier very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Language; 01-15-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #80
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nce-on-gotland

Quote:
Sweden’s armed forces are boosting preparedness in regions including the Baltic island of Gotland, citing Russia’s increased military activity in the area.

Military resources will be “reallocated to strengthen operations in several different places” in Sweden, with a “visible” change on Gotland, Michael Claesson, chief of operations at the Swedish military, said in a statement late on Thursday. Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet on Friday published video of armored combat vehicles patrolling the harbor of Visby, the largest town on the island.
Now, obviously I don’t think anything occurs from this, it’s just.. the presence of more militarized areas, the more of a chance for something to go wrong..
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote