Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2022, 04:17 PM   #421
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You’d be out of your mind to risk the consequences of travelling to China right now. Mmm, can’t wait to test positive and require quarantine in an authoritarian regimes homeland renown for their human rights violations and clear hostage diplomacy. I’ll be curious how many nations wind up with athletes who are just too high risk to let out of quarantine until certain concessions are made.

Peng Shuai is still, for all intents and purposes, missing. Hasn’t been any update since ‘her’ video contradicting and denying her accusations two weeks ago.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #422
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
There is a basic flaw that most sports have where they think "if we just get people watching our sport they will love it and become fans".
In reality I struggle to think of any actual examples of that.
Really? Sorry I'd have to disagree with you.

I can say that this exact thing happened to me with Rugby.

Japan and Cuba with Baseball to name but a few.

Canada and USA with Soccer. Look where thats gone since 1994.

There is merit to the idea. Its obviously not just as simple as 'monkey see/monkey do' there are more constraints with hockey than other sports like weather, facilities, equipment, etc. But exposure is still important.

Hell...look at the World Juniors even...that was a nothingburger tournament until TSN got their claws into it and pimped it like a Saigon Hooker during a ceasefire.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:46 PM   #423
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hell...look at the World Juniors even...that was a nothingburger tournament until TSN got their claws into it and pimped it like a Saigon Hooker during a ceasefire.
In other words, by doing everything humanly possible to promote the hell out of the World Juniors, they managed to get people to watch it… in the one country where people are already crazy about hockey.

It's not like they sold Canadians on this wonderful new sport that none of them had ever heard of.

Your case would be stronger without bringing in that as an example.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:55 PM   #424
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
In other words, by doing everything humanly possible to promote the hell out of the World Juniors, they managed to get people to watch it… in the one country where people are already crazy about hockey.

It's not like they sold Canadians on this wonderful new sport that none of them had ever heard of.

Your case would be stronger without bringing in that as an example.
Okay, I'd concede that.

But my point was that exposure is still important. There is a long track record of its value. Its not the 'be all and end all' but its still important.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #425
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Sorry I'd have to disagree with you.

I can say that this exact thing happened to me with Rugby.

Japan and Cuba with Baseball to name but a few.

Canada and USA with Soccer. Look where thats gone since 1994.

There is merit to the idea. Its obviously not just as simple as 'monkey see/monkey do' there are more constraints with hockey than other sports like weather, facilities, equipment, etc. But exposure is still important.

F1 caught a perfect storm this year with their Netflix show and having a very competitive season...tons of new interest in North America.

Can you elaborate on Japan and Cuba with baseball? I thought both countries have a long tradition with the sport...what catalyzed it?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:56 PM   #426
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
F1 caught a perfect storm this year with their Netflix show and having a very competitive season...tons of new interest in North America.

Can you elaborate on Japan and Cuba with baseball? I thought both countries have a long tradition with the sport...what catalyzed it?
Alright, its at this point that I'll explain and acknowledge that I'm far from an expert and, no, I dont 'have any links.'

I also dont really follow baseball so I'm far from a baseball historian. If I'm wrong I'm free and open to being corrected.

My understanding is that Japan learned to love baseball due to being occupied post WWII by American GIs who introduced the sport to them and, as the Japanese tend to do, they went 'all in.'

I dont even like baseball but I love that element of Japanese culture. To take something foreign and add their own flavour and culture to it.

Cuba as per my understanding was because prior to the revolution many Americans loved baseball, introduced it to the populace along with other elements of American pastimes...like gambling. Many American enterprises in Cuba prior to the Communist revolution were centered around gambling.

That being said though, baseball is simple. All you need is some space, a stick and something to hit that is 'round-ish.' The glove is a luxury.

But I understand that was how it was introduced (I am likely wrong). Americans in Cuba who showed people how to play and for some reason they loved it and the rest is history.

I'm certain there is more to it because Baseball is a huge sport in South America in general, but that fever was introduced via exposure and then the local populace adored it, adopted it and its popularity clearly soared from there.

Look at how many South American and Japanese players are in the MLB. Its not a coincidence.

That being said, hockey is a whole different animal. It is far from simple. There is a lot of things that you need in order to play hockey in comparison to sports like Baseball/Football/Rugby and Soccer.

So will these trends translate to hockey? I'm skeptical, but to say that widespread exposure never worked for other sports before is erroneous.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #427
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Speaking of international exposure, there's now a Hockey anime in Japan. It's not exactly what I would call good, but it exists so that's something.

Pellanor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pellanor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #428
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Alright, its at this point that I'll explain and acknowledge that I'm far from an expert and, no, I dont 'have any links.'

I also dont really follow baseball so I'm far from a baseball historian. If I'm wrong I'm free and open to being corrected.

My understanding is that Japan learned to love baseball due to being occupied post WWII by American GIs who introduced the sport to them and, as the Japanese tend to do, they went 'all in.'

I dont even like baseball but I love that element of Japanese culture. To take something foreign and add their own flavour and culture to it.

Cuba as per my understanding was because prior to the revolution many Americans loved baseball, introduced it to the populace along with other elements of American pastimes...like gambling. Many American enterprises in Cuba prior to the Communist revolution were centered around gambling.

That being said though, baseball is simple. All you need is some space, a stick and something to hit that is 'round-ish.' The glove is a luxury.

But I understand that was how it was introduced (I am likely wrong). Americans in Cuba who showed people how to play and for some reason they loved it and the rest is history.

I'm certain there is more to it because Baseball is a huge sport in South America in general, but that fever was introduced via exposure and then the local populace adored it, adopted it and its popularity clearly soared from there.

Look at how many South American and Japanese players are in the MLB. Its not a coincidence.

That being said, hockey is a whole different animal. It is far from simple. There is a lot of things that you need in order to play hockey in comparison to sports like Baseball/Football/Rugby and Soccer.

So will these trends translate to hockey? I'm skeptical, but to say that widespread exposure never worked for other sports before is erroneous.

That is the difference though, baseball was taken there and played there. Americans and Japanese side by side and then the Japanese loved it and took over. It's the same with cricket in the India.

But a) it was a simpler time back then and b) the sport was played and demonstrated there. Are Canadians going over to China or elsewhere to demonstrate the game? IIHF is trying, they have 80 members but what's the NHL doing? Think playing a game there once every few years or having pros in the olympics once in a lifetime will bring new fans? The KHL is probably doing more for hockey in China than the NHL with Kunlun Red Stars.

Another curling example, curling is growing worldwide. Why? Canadians are going all over the world playing and coaching. Especially with the simplified mixed doubles game.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:40 PM   #429
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellanor View Post
Speaking of international exposure, there's now a Hockey anime in Japan. It's not exactly what I would call good, but it exists so that's something.

I dont know WTF that was but it was still better than watching the Oilers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 03:29 PM   #430
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Anime? Korea has a full movie of a hockey playing gangster

Quote:
Due to his ex-wife’s debt, Joon-Man (Lee Kwang-Soo) had no choice but to work for a gang boss. Even though he has a warm personality, he works as a loan shark. To get debt from an ice hockey coach, Joon-Man joins the ice hockey team.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #431
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Anime? Korea has a full movie of a hockey playing gangster

Why does it look like it was recorded on someone's camcorder in their spare time?

Old 01-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #432
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I will just stick this here, but his was team Canada as selected by dhatschek (sp)

Forwards

Brad Marchand-Sidney Crosby-Patrice Bergeron

Jonathan Huberdeau-Connor McDavid-Mark Stone

Steven Stamkos-Nathan MacKinnon-Brayden Point

John Tavares-Mathew Barzal-Mitch Marner

Ryan O’Reilly-Tom Wilson

Defence

Shea Theodore-Alex Pietrangelo

Devon Toews-Cale Makar

Thomas Chabot-Drew Doughty

Darnell Nurse-Aaron Ekblad

Goal

Marc-Andre Fleury

Darcy Kuemper

Jordan Binnington

What happen that Tom a Wilson is now team Canada worthy? Or is there another Tom Wilson in the NHL
Old 01-08-2022, 10:12 PM   #433
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ At least ED has the lines in the right order. Wilson is the only preposterous thing there.

Killorn, Stephenson, Rodrigues, or Perron would all make more sense as the final depth forward as they all have linemates. Or vets like Duchene, Couture, Giroux, Scheifele...or youth like Kyrou or Thomas...or Nazem Kadri (given the year he is having) if you're dead set on having a moron on the team.

When did he make those picks?
Old 01-08-2022, 11:40 PM   #434
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

The South America part isn't true at all.

With the exception of Venezuela and a small smattering of players from Colombia, the remaining 90% of the continent has almost no interest in baseball. I doubt if there are even a combined handful of MLB players from Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Paraguay or Uruguay, and that's a pretty vast chunk of the continent.

It's a real stretch to make a statement that baseball is a "huge sport in South America in general".
bobbylouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:01 AM   #435
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would Nurse be on there? an Old Gio would be a better option.

Just because you are a D-man that will be making >$9Mil/season doesn't mean you're any good.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #436
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
^ At least ED has the lines in the right order. Wilson is the only preposterous thing there.

Killorn, Stephenson, Rodrigues, or Perron would all make more sense as the final depth forward as they all have linemates. Or vets like Duchene, Couture, Giroux, Scheifele...or youth like Kyrou or Thomas...or Nazem Kadri (given the year he is having) if you're dead set on having a moron on the team.

When did he make those picks?
This was from an article published on the athletic last week
Old 01-09-2022, 10:41 AM   #437
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Wilson? I didn’t realize the plan was to cheap shot the other team into losing.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:58 AM   #438
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Tom Wilson? I didn’t realize the plan was to cheap shot the other team into losing.
Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEUa0RuFd6A

Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #439
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Why would Nurse be on there? an Old Gio would be a better option.

Just because you are a D-man that will be making >$9Mil/season doesn't mean you're any good.
It's largely the dearth of LHS these days for Canada...unless Chychrun would be on TC, there isn't a ton to distinguish between:

Nurse
Pelech
Morrissey
Gio
Rielly
Muzzin
Ferraro
Weegar (RHS but plays w/ Ekblad)

If this were actually happening I'd role with one of Nurse/Pelech/Morrissey since they are most likely to be helpful 4 years down the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 04:09 PM   #440
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

US roster for Beijing has been released. Matty Beniers and Jake Sanderson highlight the list, which includes seven players with NHL experience (Shore, Kampfer, Agostino, Warsofsky, Ness, O'Neill, Miele). 15 college players, 8 are playing in Europe, 2 in the AHL.

Quote:
14 Forwards
Nick Abruzzese, Kenny Agostino, Matty Beniers, Brendan Brisson, Noah Cates, Sean Farrell, Sam Hentges, Matthew Knies, Marc McLaughlin, Ben Meyers, Andy Miele, Brian O’Neill, Nick Shore, Nathan Smith

8 Defensemen
Brian Cooper, Brock Faber, Drew Helleson, Steven Kampfer, Aaron Ness, Nick Perbix, Jake Sanderson, David Warsofsky

3 Goaltenders
Drew Commesso, Strauss Mann, Pat Nagle
https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1203160
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote