Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #641
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
#### it I’ll take that any day over bending over for billionaires.
The old mayor was less left leaning than the new mayor?

Hell who knew some crap solar panels that get 5% utilization in December would stave off disaster?
Old 12-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #642
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

City probably shouldn’t have given an out to the flames who were probably desperately seeking it.

I suspect both sides are quite happy behind closed doors.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #643
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I know you like to put down Calgary as much as you can to reaffirm your personal decision to leave, but the Flames are not central to civic pride. They're just a sports team.
Maybe i just haven't been back for so long?

What am I missing? What's changed? The library?? Unless you ski or snowboard what else is going on in Calgary the majority of the year that make it feel like a world class city? Has the city cooled off THAT much from the 2004-2009 Sea of Red heyday? Genuinely asking..

I'm not even saying Phoenix is world class either, there's just a ton of other sports to enjoy so losing a sports team out of many isn't that big of a deal. This isn't a Calgary VERSUS Phoenix viewpoint.

What's changed? It's crazy seeing so many Flames "fans" willing to let the team walk away over something that truly will have next to no effect on their personal bottom line year to year over the course of 30-50 years of the team being in Calgary if they build this new arena.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #644
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
City probably shouldn’t have given an out to the flames who were probably desperately seeking it.

I suspect both sides are quite happy behind closed doors.
Let's see if the City of Calgary understands "sunk cost".
Old 12-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #645
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Let's see if the City of Calgary understands "sunk cost".
Are the sunk costs that significant? Especially when it’s likely a lot of the leg work will Be revived in a year or 2?
Old 12-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #646
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Are the sunk costs that significant? Especially when it’s likely a lot of the leg work will Be revived in a year or 2?
https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/th...-cost-fallacy/
Old 12-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #647
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is a mistake to downplay the possibility of the Flames leaving town in the foreseeable future. Lack of modern arenas is one of the main reasons why franchises relocate. I am not saying it is imminent and it's past the point of no return, but I think it is a real possibility.

The NHL will give Calgary the same courtesy it gave other franchises that relocated, that being favoring sales to local ownership that don't want to move the team. But let's be realistic here, how many potential local owners are going to be found when they know that they aren't just buying the team, but also the burden of having to pay for an arena in the near future? I would wager that no one would step up for that, especially after seeing how this has unfolded so far. Offers from potential owners wanting to relocate will come in though, you can bet on it. The Flames are probably worth more to the league overall in another market like Houston, so Bettman (or whoever is in charge at that point) won't stall a deal indefinitely to wait for a local ownership group.

The caveat to all this over course is whether or not Edwards would put the team up for sale. I really do have to wonder about his long term commitment at this point and teams going up for sale are not not always public information.

The fact of the matter is, if Calgary wants an NHL team, there will have to be a new arena at some point. That's not even arguable. Most arenas have a life span of about 50 years max (a few longer, but many shorter given how quick advances have been in amenity expectations). The Dome is 38 years old an the Flames will be playing out a 40 year old arena even if ground breaks tomorrow. That is putting the franchise in a pretty precarious spot if things keep going the way they are.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #648
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

wont anyone think of the poor billionaires and how much profit they are missing out on from not having more luxury boxes? Surely we can do better than 300 million dollars of tax payer money and free land in downtown calgary, and not having to deal with what to do with the building in 20 years when they need a new one

Oh also liberals spend too much money and are ruining this fine conservative town with taxes for things like libraries
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #649
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cynic in me is waiting for Kenney to swoop in now to save the arena and potentially his sagging electoral fortunes in this city.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #650
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1473453723040972801
The city needs to realign what it's trying to do, especially if the goal as a city is to build an event center in the next half centennial. It's not getting any cheaper and our mayor is grandstanding, and CESC is posturing back. They need to go back to the table as adults (and that's both sides)
Not sure about both sides.

If we did not have a hockey team the city would happily spend $B to try and attract something similar.

We have it and the mayor is too shortsighted to take advantage.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #651
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reminds me of that lunch with Gary Bettman here in town years ago when during the Q&A this guy gets up and says, "Mr. Bettman, I'm from Winnipeg originally and I would like to know when the NHL will be moving back to Winnipeg?"

Without missing a beat Bettman replies "Oh ya? When are YOU moving back?!"

Brought the house down.

Welcome to the future Calgary.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #652
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Maybe i just haven't been back for so long?

What am I missing? What's changed? The library?? Unless you ski or snowboard what else is going on in Calgary the majority of the year that make it feel like a world class city? Has the city cooled off THAT much from the 2004-2009 Sea of Red heyday? Genuinely asking..

I'm not even saying Phoenix is world class either, there's just a ton of other sports to enjoy so losing a sports team out of many isn't that big of a deal. This isn't a Calgary VERSUS Phoenix viewpoint.

What's changed? It's crazy seeing so many Flames "fans" willing to let the team walk away over something that truly will have next to no effect on their personal bottom line year to year over the course of 30-50 years of the team being in Calgary if they build this new arena.

I dunno, cause people are reminded every year that between April and September we don’t need the Flames to feel some sense of self-worth.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #653
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Not just suites, but personalized/augmented fan experiences, which is where the majority of future revenue is anticipated to come from. I could easily see an arena with such capabilities adding $1B to the value of a franchise, since this is expected to add more revenue than current ticket sales and concessions provide.
If that's the future, is there any reason those things couldn't be added to the Saddledome? If the future is smaller capacity buildings with the people paying more for the privilege to be there, building a new "old" building would be a bad idea.

That's what happened with the Chicago White Sox, they built "New Comiskey" in the style of the big mega-stadiums of the time. Then, a year later, Baltimore opened their new stadium and suddenly everyone wanted a retro style ball park. New Comiskey was a year old and already out-of-date.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #654
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
This is what you get for electing leftists.
This isn't he biting comment you think it is
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #655
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Endy Mattress Arena?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1473774628183199755

Well.... it IS shaped like a mattress... it's a natural fit.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 12-22-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #656
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
From everything that I'm reading is that this is a "scope addition" that was tacked on after the agreement and as a condition of the permitting process.

So yeah, I'd be pissed if I was building my house that this requirement was never identified by the city and all of the sudden said I had to pay an additional $25,000 (for example) to put solar on my house "because climate", and it was a condition for whether or not I get to build the house at all now.
Bet you wouldn’t be upset though if the rest of the taxpayers paid for half your house for you?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #657
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The Endy Mattress Arena?

Is this guy legitimate or just trying to score some cheap Twitter likes?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #658
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Is this guy legitimate or just trying to score some cheap Twitter likes?
I imagine he's legit - he's been commenting on this stuff for years and has himself quite a nice resume.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #659
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I imagine he's legit - he's been commenting on this stuff for years and has himself quite a nice resume.
I don’t think he has the net worth to be serious (with the initial purchase offer). Sponsoring the name? Maybe but would he do it to buy a year or 2?
Old 12-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #660
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The Endy Mattress Arena?

Our fans can be called the Flaming Bed Bugs!

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good