Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #461
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would rather the city just buy the team, build their own arena and keep all the profits. Sure it would cost 1.2B or more , but at least its better than getting virtually nothing for 1/4 of the price. Then we can.......ELECT a GM . (only mostly joking)
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #462
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
The city should come back with agreeing to pay the $19mil extra and instating CMCL as the lead again.

And then watch the billionaires be pissed once again lol
I don't get why this is considered such a big prize for the city. Under the deal CSEC is responsible for cost overages. Given that it makes 100% sense that they should have a project manager of their choosing. Nenshi in July entirely endorsed this position as fair.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #463
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I'm not sure this is true. CSEC has agreed to cost overruns but not add-ons.
From everything that I'm reading is that this is a "scope addition" that was tacked on after the agreement and as a condition of the permitting process.

So yeah, I'd be pissed if I was building my house that this requirement was never identified by the city and all of the sudden said I had to pay an additional $25,000 (for example) to put solar on my house "because climate", and it was a condition for whether or not I get to build the house at all now.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #464
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Wow a lot of people sure buy into what CSEC is selling hook line and sinker. Seems pretty obvious why the mayor wanted to try and get ahead of this. She knew the drones would be out for blood once the Flames started pointing fingers.

This explains why ownership negotiates this way. They know the general populace of sports fans, even conservatives, don’t actually care about fiscal responsibility as long as the money is being wasted on pretty things they like and not stupid libraries or art projects that only liberal elites can enjoy.

And all just so that the owner can take more of your money and double ticket prices for the same product!

This is like the ultimate grift.
4M climate mitigation
Old 12-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #465
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
From everything that I'm reading is that this is a "scope addition" that was tacked on after the agreement and as a condition of the permitting process.

So yeah, I'd be pissed if I was building my house that this requirement was never identified by the city and all of the sudden said I had to pay an additional $25,000 (for example) to put solar on my house "because climate"...
Not only that a lot of this scope addition has the smell of Jyoti and the new city council priorities baked into the DP process. What I'm hearing is that the new environmental policies and changes in city administration is making this harder by imposing new priorities on development.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #466
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post

So yeah, I'd be pissed if I was building my house that this requirement was never identified by the city and all of the sudden said I had to pay an additional $25,000 (for example) to put solar on my house "because climate", and it was a condition for whether or not I get to build the house at all now.
1) The city is already paying for large portion of your house
2) You're a billionaire, pay the extra few % and gfto
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #467
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We can debate all we want on who's to blame for this fiasco (I personally blame both sides for being inept), but now that it's dead, what's next? They say they'll stay in the Saddledome but for how long? You can't do anything more to it and they're never going to build a new one with their own money so I guess in a few years they say that's it, we're moving to Houston? There doesn't appear to be any positive outcome right now.
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #468
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So because the majority owner of CSEC is a billionaire, he needs to be shaken down at every turn and pay for whatever garbage the planning commission at the direction of the mayor and city council insists?
Old 12-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #469
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because you are well off you should pay more? Good luck getting investment into the city with that logic
Old 12-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #470
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I personally would be stoked if the city paid for half my house. Even if they said "you have to put solar panels on it." Solar panels? To save me a couple hundred grand+? Where can I get that deal? Anyone here want to turn it down?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #471
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Because you are well off you should pay more? Good luck getting investment into the city with that logic
Yes that's exactly it. And don't forget these people will be raking in the cash with ticket prices going up when the new arena is built.

There's absolutely no reason to grovel to these billionaires.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #472
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I don't get why this is considered such a big prize for the city. Under the deal CSEC is responsible for cost overages. Given that it makes 100% sense that they should have a project manager of their choosing. Nenshi in July entirely endorsed this position as fair.
I think because most people can see the Flames ownership and leadership are at best mediocre, and honestly more likely bottom quartile for pro-sports.

I saw Calgary Next (an absolute embarrassment). I see how terrible our concessions are vs. almost anywhere else. I deal with crowds because somebody wants to fill the concourse with trucks. I notice the lack of entertainment at the dome vs. other arenas. I see the years of sucking as we make bizarre hires and don't hold them accountable.

In contrast, CMLC has a visible track record of really high quality projects throughout Calgary which make the city a better place.

If we want a great arena, we don't want the Flames involved at all.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #473
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Eloranta View Post
We can debate all we want on who's to blame for this fiasco (I personally blame both sides for being inept), but now that it's dead, what's next? They say they'll stay in the Saddledome but for how long? You can't do anything more to it and they're never going to build a new one with their own money so I guess in a few years they say that's it, we're moving to Houston? There doesn't appear to be any positive outcome right now.
What's next is the pretty much the exact same thing that happened the last time the Flames said they were walking away. They come back to the bargaining table when the city makes concessions so that they get a better deal.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #474
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Maybe if the Flames stopped buying so much Zadorov toast they could afford a new house. That's what I keep being told to do.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #475
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
If we want a great arena, we don't want the Flames involved at all.
Then we should be paying for 100% of the cost overages. It's perfectly reasonable for the Flames to insist on a project manager of their choice if they are paying 100% for cost overages.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #476
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I personally would be stoked if the city paid for half my house. Even if they said "you have to put solar panels on it." Solar panels? To save me a couple hundred grand+? Where can I get that deal? Anyone here want to turn it down?
I'm pretty sure it's not a function of who is paying for what here at this point. The city is imposing new conditions as part of permitting that didn't exist in July when the deal was struck.

Sure, ultimately they'll have to figure out who pays for this as partners, but this is a net-new cost that wasn't even remotely considered at the time because it was never identified as a requirement by the city. All of the sudden now it is.

I think that's the issue at the heart of it. I'd imagine CSEC is thinking "what's next?"
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #477
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Seems pretty obvious why the mayor wanted to try and get ahead of this. She knew the drones would be out for blood once the Flames started pointing fingers.
Yes that's it for sure. It's not like in her short term she's put her name out there and used her platform to say anything controversial. That's never happened as she's totally laid low.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #478
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it at all possible that their project manager failed to take any of this into account, which is why the City had to make an amendment?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #479
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

There are some weird analogies in here. Forget how rich anyone is or how much the money is or what the money is for.

The fact is simple. The deal was agreed on in July. Cost overruns would still be split 50./50 even if it's a billion. But add-ons, that's a breach and that's the line drawn by CSEC. What if the city keeps adding more? Like underground C-Train station, or pedestrian bridge or bike lanes right to the door o whatever?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #480
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dear GOD what a Fn' letdown , after all these years ...
I will still blame those idiots in Edmonton the deal they gave Katz was obscene

For me this reeks of how costs have changed in the last 2 years and CSEC looking for an out on a deal that keeps getting more and more pricey for them.
And the City going F U your lucky we gave you the deal we did.

well Merry Christmas all
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good