In the comics
Spoiler!
Old 11-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #802
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I enjoyed the first episode of Hawkeye. Was skeptical how I'm supposed to root for some spoiled brat rich kid but being a dog lover with an evil step dad helps.
Also Hailee Steinfeld is pretty cool.

She made that bumblebee spinoff movie watchable.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #803
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Firefly reboot coming to Disney+?

The ways it could be terrible really outnumber the ways it could be great.

https://movieweb.com/heres-what-to-e...m-disney-plus/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #804
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They're making the right choice of not having Whedon involved. He has too much baggage and the world is already built for the most part that as long as it's in capable hands we'll get something decent.

It will be tough to match the chemistry of the actors/characters though.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #805
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a time when I would have been overjoyed at the news of Firefly coming back on the air. But yeah, at this point, and with the examples of shows like Discovery, I don’t like the odds of a reboot capturing the spirit of the original.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #806
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

fata
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:59 AM   #807
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, I think I'd prefer a Firefly prequel series with a whole new cast telling the story of the war that Mal fought in when he was younger, rather than a 20 years later reboot.

The only problem is that I don't know if that could work without Whedon, who is obviously not an option at this point.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #808
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's 20 years later this better have become the greatest legend in the 'verse.

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #809
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jungle Cruise was horrible. Starts off okay looking like a Mummy rip off in the jungle with Blunt and Johnson filling the Weisz and Fraser roles but quickly turns into a convoluted mess. I'd hoped for a straight forward hero's journey where they go into the jungle to find a MacGuffin and have some adventures along the way. Instead it's all over the place story wise trying to tie in WWI and the supernatural with multiple bad guys and flashback scenes. The leads try but have little chemistry and are let down by writing that makes every line of dialog jokey or flirtatious. It is also painfully obvious this was filmed in a green screen studio with next to nothing for real sets or action stunts. The big action scenes are frustratingly hard to keep track of, being dimly lit with an overuse of CGI. There is a big twist that could have been interesting but just changes the movie from a Mummy rip off to a Pirates rip off. I should have seen it coming given this is also based on a theme park boat ride. Not recommended even if you already have Disney+: 4/10
Old 12-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #810
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jungle Cruise was horrible. Starts off okay looking like a Mummy rip off in the jungle with Blunt and Johnson filling the Weisz and Fraser roles but quickly turns into a convoluted mess. I'd hoped for a straight forward hero's journey where they go into the jungle to find a MacGuffin and have some adventures along the way. Instead it's all over the place story wise trying to tie in WWI and the supernatural with multiple bad guys and flashback scenes. The leads try but have little chemistry and are let down by writing that makes every line of dialog jokey or flirtatious. It is also painfully obvious this was filmed in a green screen studio with next to nothing for real sets or action stunts. The big action scenes are frustratingly hard to keep track of, being dimly lit with an overuse of CGI. There is a big twist that could have been interesting but just changes the movie from a Mummy rip off to a Pirates rip off. I should have seen it coming given this is also based on a theme park boat ride. Not recommended even if you already have Disney+: 4/10
One of the least subtle cash-grab films in recent memory.

"These people are desperate to go to the movies...show them anything!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:29 PM   #811
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I felt slightly more generous, would have given it a 5/10 just watchable, not worth caring about. A weak version of the Weisz / Fraser mummy is a good comparison. Probably because I wasn't paying attention, but I actually didn't see the character twist coming. I think people have spoken kindly about worse movies, my recommendation would be don't go seeking it out because you want to watch, but also don't sweat that you'll suffer through it if your wife/kids want to see it, it's watchable.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #812
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I felt slightly more generous, would have given it a 5/10 just watchable, not worth caring about. A weak version of the Weisz / Fraser mummy is a good comparison. Probably because I wasn't paying attention, but I actually didn't see the character twist coming. I think people have spoken kindly about worse movies, my recommendation would be don't go seeking it out because you want to watch, but also don't sweat that you'll suffer through it if your wife/kids want to see it, it's watchable.
That film sucked out loud. They even remade it, only more expensive and inexplicably worse.

We have a monument to the suckage of that film immortalized on Macleod and Glenmore.

Another weak adaptation and terrible version is really not what that story needed.

Its like beating a dead horse. After its already been cremated.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #813
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That film sucked out loud. They even remade it, only more expensive and inexplicably worse.

We have a monument to the suckage of that film immortalized on Macleod and Glenmore.

Another weak adaptation and terrible version is really not what that story needed.

Its like beating a dead horse. After its already been cremated.
Wait? Are you saying The Mummy with Brendan Fraser sucked?

That’s insane. It’s a fantastically fun movie. One of the most rewatchable movies. The sequel was not as good but still enjoyable. The third was not good. Cruise’s is better than the 3rd but that’s not saying much.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #814
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
They're making the right choice of not having Whedon involved. He has too much baggage and the world is already built for the most part that as long as it's in capable hands we'll get something decent.

It will be tough to match the chemistry of the actors/characters though.
Firefly's strength was in the cast and characters, which is true for every good thing Whedon has created. He's one of the all-time greats at creating ensemble casts.

The world of Firefly on the other hand is (also in typical Whedon-style), a pretty generic mishmash of really widely used tropes. I don't really see that much of value there outside of brand recognition, other than it's a pretty open canvas. (Personally I never understood why some people are so obsessed with that series.)

No reason it couldn't be gold with great writers, but that goes for anything.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:22 AM   #815
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Wait? Are you saying The Mummy with Brendan Fraser sucked?

That’s insane. It’s a fantastically fun movie. One of the most rewatchable movies. The sequel was not as good but still enjoyable. The third was not good. Cruise’s is better than the 3rd but that’s not saying much.
My daughter’s name is Evelyn because of how much my wife loves that movie and the Rachel Weisz character.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #816
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
My daughter’s name is Evelyn because of how much my wife loves that movie and the Rachel Weisz character.
Oh boy, Rachel Weisz in that movie...
Old 12-14-2021, 10:34 PM   #817
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finished up the Beatles doc and really enjoyed it. Obviously at 8+ hours, it meanders a bit, but I just enjoyed seeing those guys create. The movie gives some insight into the individual personalities and the reasons for the inevitable implosion. Amazing they had that audio and video footage…
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:51 AM   #818
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Home Alone still holds up. One of the best Xmas movies ever.

Jingle all the Way not so much. The American consumer satire is still on point but the bad father redemption with the creepy neighbor is super awkward.

Also, too funny Disney+ thinks Iron Man 3 is a Xmas movie.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #819
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watched Shang-Chi today, really enjoyed it.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #820
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Finished up the Beatles doc and really enjoyed it. Obviously at 8+ hours, it meanders a bit, but I just enjoyed seeing those guys create. The movie gives some insight into the individual personalities and the reasons for the inevitable implosion. Amazing they had that audio and video footage…
It was definitely long, but man some of that footage was amazing. I still can't believe that the entirety of Beatles lore was only like 8 years. An album, plus multiple singles every year, on top of touring and other celebrity type commitments.

Was really to cool to experience the chemistry between the band members, specifically Paul and John. Just pure magic.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post: