Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2021, 05:00 PM   #1061
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's awesome you whine about bags of leaves not being picked up by the City, yet you fail to empathize with people who were blamed for the death of loved ones.

I mean, mocking United is for the taking over the past year. Low hanging fruit everywhere, and you choose the one tabloid, that is banned to this day from many clubs. How do you struggle so hard? hahaha
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #1062
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sun shouldn't be read period
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #1063
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I think it's awesome you whine about bags of leaves not being picked up by the City, yet you fail to empathize with people who were blamed for the death of loved ones.

I mean, mocking United is for the taking over the past year. Low hanging fruit everywhere, and you choose the one tabloid, that is banned to this day from many clubs. How do you struggle so hard? hahaha
Wow, you’re really making a lot of connections now. I can’t laugh at United and their managerial woes because the city didn’t pick up my leaves? How does my gear grinder have anything to do with this?

I have no idea where your going with this, and really no idea what you want from me. I have you an apology and figured that was enough.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #1064
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The sun shouldn't be read period
I mean this should apply to all Murdoch rags. If the Sun or the Times or the NY Post told me the sky was blue and grass was green, I'd be going outside to double check.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #1065
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
There’s a Sun piece out that says Steve Bruce would like the job. I was going to post it here just to watch the inevitable reaction.
Happy?
You decided to post it. You get the reaction you wanted?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #1066
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean this should apply to all Murdoch rags. If the Sun or the Times or the NY Post told me the sky was blue and grass was green, I'd be going outside to double check.
Fox sports?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 07:01 AM   #1067
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Fox sports?
....has nothing to do with NewsCorp? Rags = tabloids.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #1068
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

holy #### they actually get it right for a change. I'm in shock

https://twitter.com/user/status/1463887662096465929
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #1069
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a really good hire and he would be great as a DoF if they let him hire someone, say next summer to go under him.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #1070
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh United, just copying Liverpool by appointing a good German manager.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #1071
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

him agreeing to a 2 year consultant gig afterwards is what sticks out to me. That doesn't happen IMO if there isn't some sort of long-term plan here, and that's a pleasant surprise when it comes to United. To me, that means they plan to install a new manager after the season that has a similar philosophy than Rangnick. Could be Ten Hag, could be somebody like Potter ... no clue, but I'm excited. Going to be quite an adjustment for the lot though, Rangnicks teams usually press relentlessly. Will be interesting to see how he plans to deal with the likes of Ronaldo, Pogba and so on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #1072
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he'll poach a manager from Lokomotiv Moscow?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #1073
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, Conte has an immense challenge in front of him. We need maybe 8-9 new players to reshape this disastrous mindset. Today was not as bad as the implosion in Europa last year, but we still have to deal with Rennes. That’s not going to be a cakewalk, and I’m sure they’ll be salivating at the idea of putting us out.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:11 AM   #1074
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

First things, drop Dele Ali. He's finished.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 06:59 AM   #1075
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on yesterday alone. I'd make Sanchez priority #1. Or at the very least get him a new pair of boots.

But yeah Dele too. And Doherty has to be finished there.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #1076
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
him agreeing to a 2 year consultant gig afterwards is what sticks out to me. That doesn't happen IMO if there isn't some sort of long-term plan here, and that's a pleasant surprise when it comes to United. To me, that means they plan to install a new manager after the season that has a similar philosophy than Rangnick. Could be Ten Hag, could be somebody like Potter ... no clue, but I'm excited. Going to be quite an adjustment for the lot though, Rangnicks teams usually press relentlessly. Will be interesting to see how he plans to deal with the likes of Ronaldo, Pogba and so on.
Ronaldo, I can see his time being more managed. Pogba, I could care less. Use him as an impact sub but start to build a foundation of a team around players that are going to be part of the future.

I'm just curious how he would work with a new manager? Is he going to be sitting from above dictating coaching strategy? So in that sense is he going to be seeking more of a yes man to implement HIS strategy? Don't know, just asking as I don't know what sort of character he is but by all accounts he likes to be in control.

Shaw, from what I have been reading is the one that needs to start looking over his shoulder. Fred, I'm curious how he will do as I think he might benefit but if it's true that he's not a believer of square or backward passes then McTominay is in big trouble.

I'm very much of the wait and see approach. Sure, he sounds great on paper but I've got to wonder if he's the be all end all then how come, at 63 he's never really had an appointment of any real significance before? And what I'm reading is that he's more of a builder which is exactly what they need at the moment.

But for me the problem remains at United regarding the culture. There are zero leaders that I can think of outside of CR and maybe Varane. I refer again to the swarming of Ronaldo by 6-7 Liverpool players and that only Bruno was in any sort of close proximity to intervene. Watching that Keane Neville dogwalk interview on YouTube and Keane alludes more than once that he was lucky in his day in that he walked into the changing room, looked around and it was full of strong characters, leaders. Look at it today and look at who is wearing the armband. He's not a leader.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #1077
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Ronaldo, I can see his time being more managed. Pogba, I could care less.
how much could you care less?

Quote:
I'm just curious how he would work with a new manager? Is he going to be sitting from above dictating coaching strategy? So in that sense is he going to be seeking more of a yes man to implement HIS strategy? Don't know, just asking as I don't know what sort of character he is but by all accounts he likes to be in control.
he likes control, absolutely. But not as in "I want to tell the manager how to coach", but in a "I want to be able to hire a manager who has a similar philosophy" kind of way. At RB, he hired guys like Hasenhüttl, Rose and Nagelsmann - managers who also favoured football with a lot of pressing and intensity. So he wouldn't dictate coaching or hire a yes man, he'd just pick the right guy.

Quote:
I'm very much of the wait and see approach. Sure, he sounds great on paper but I've got to wonder if he's the be all end all then how come, at 63 he's never really had an appointment of any real significance before? And what I'm reading is that he's more of a builder which is exactly what they need at the moment.
context is key here. Rangnick was a hot commodity at Hoffenheim and Schalke, but stepped down due to burnout. He then opted to go the sporting director route instead and did a great job in that regard. When called upon, he twice stepped in for a year and did fine as a manager. The reason it ended at Leipzig was because of a power struggle between him and Oliver Mintzlaff, who didn't want Rangnick to call the shots anymore. Leipzig fans would tell you the wrong guy won that power struggle.

Afterwards, it wasn't for a lack of opportunity, but Rangnick is the kind of guy who only steps in if he feels it's the right situation. Chelsea was interested before hiring Tuchel, but they weren't prepared to give him a consultant role (like United). He was close to going to Milan, but that also collapsed for some reason.

Now, we don't know what the two sides have agreed to regarding his role after this season. Honigstein said he believes Rangnick might very well be at a point in his career where he doesn't need full control, but be fine with a "you just tell me what you need and I'll help you with that" role. His relationship with Murtough is key here, they are said to have a really good one. We can only speculate what the plan is, but if both sides arw comfortable with the arrangement, United will benefit immensly from this.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #1078
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Newcastle's season pretty much comes down to the next two games, with Norwich and Burnley at home. Lose both of those and they are definitely getting relegated because their next five games after that are Leicester, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Everton.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #1079
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Newcastle's season pretty much comes down to the next two games, with Norwich and Burnley at home. Lose both of those and they are definitely getting relegated because their next five games after that are Leicester, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Everton.
Honestly, they could beat Norwich at this point. They're awful. But Burnley isn't going to be easy for them and I think they drop that one. I guess I'm going with that split, which probably still leaves them relegated.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #1080
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Liverpool going to put 10 past Southampton? Only one team showed up for that game. Yikes!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote