Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #1621
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think the Switch Pro Controller is the perfect video game controller.
Soooooo the XBOX one controller
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #1622
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Soooooo the XBOX one controller
Basically, but I like how the Switch Pro Controller feels in my hands more and it's a bit lighter. Plus it's rechargeable, no fooling around with batteries or battery packs.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #1623
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The symmetrical sticks is exactly why I prefer the PS controllers. Most games use both sticks for movement/camera, and it feels more natural to me to have my thumbs at the same place for that. The old school position of the dpad is also way better for fighting and side scrolling games. I also like that the DualSense analog sticks have a bit more resistance in them, the Xbox sticks feel spongy in comparison
I just never liked the Xbox controllers. That was a part of the reason why I have never purchased any Xbox.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #1624
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the Switch Pro Controller is the perfect video game controller.
Ya, it's my favourite, except for the stupid lack of analoug triggers. I ended up using my old Gamecube controller for Grid Autosport so I could have them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #1625
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If by some miracle some does end up with an Xbox Series X and its unopened and willing to part, please DM me.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #1626
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
If by some miracle some does end up with an Xbox Series X and its unopened and willing to part, please DM me.
I have an unopened PS5 for trade one of those rare beauties.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #1627
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Basically, but I like how the Switch Pro Controller feels in my hands more and it's a bit lighter. Plus it's rechargeable, no fooling around with batteries or battery packs.
Another reason I prefer the Playstation controllers over Xbox. I did pick one of these up for my XSX though and it works great, controller sits in the dock when not in use (just like the PS) and I never have to worry about low battery. Just a shame you have to rely on 3rd party solutions due to Microsoft being stubborn

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #1628
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still can't believe that in 2021 Xbox controllers require AA batteries. I honestly couldn't believe it when the Xbox One came out 8 years ago, let alone the XSX.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #1629
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The annoying part too is that I bought the first party play and charge kit initially.

Now all these third party charging stands come out and of course still no type of charging stand for the 1st party play and charge kit. Annoying.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #1630
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I think you lot are out to lunch on the whole batteries-in-controllers thing.

I had a launch PS3 as a secondary (and later tertiary) console, and it didn't see a ton of game time, but a little. This lack of use meant the battery in the controller went flat a few times, and eventually it just refused to take a charge, which conveniently happened right around the time I decided to sell it. I tried everything to charge that damn thing. The lack of a removable/replaceable battery meant I got to take the controller to electronics recycling and I ended up selling the console with a PS4 controller I had paired to it (which has the same non-removable battery setup). My Power A PS3 controller, also lacking a replaceable battery, ended up with the exact same problem so it met the same demise as my OE PS3 controller.

My Xbox 360 -- on the other hand -- saw so much use that over time the battery packs have simply run out of charging cycles and can barely hold power; they're paperweights. No matter, I can pop a set of AA batteries into the controller and away we go. The battery pack may be toast, but the controller is just fine. Admittedly, the fatal flaw of the Xbox 360 controller in this regard is that the AA battery tray is needed to properly use AA batteries in the first place. If you bought Xbox 360 controller battery packs and tossed the old AA battery trays, you're hooped. The controller design of the Xbox One fixed this by using a battery door and designing the battery area to accept AAs without a specific tray or door installed and making sure the rechargeable battery packs fit in the same space.

From a convenience perspective, it's a no-brainer. I don't get to game as much as I would like, so I'm not really paying attention to whether the controllers are charged. Sometimes we'll sit down to play some games and one of the controllers is really low on juice. Well, fine, pop in some AAs and play with those, and charge the battery pack in the interim.

From the perspective of reducing e-waste, having easily replaceable batteries in controllers (as in by the average consumer, not something you need to read or watch a tutorial on) is table-stakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I still can't believe that in 2021 Xbox controllers require AA batteries. I honestly couldn't believe it when the Xbox One came out 8 years ago, let alone the XSX.
They don't require AA batteries, you can buy rechargeable battery packs both first and third party.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #1631
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Another reason I prefer the Playstation controllers over Xbox. I did pick one of these up for my XSX though and it works great, controller sits in the dock when not in use (just like the PS) and I never have to worry about low battery. Just a shame you have to rely on 3rd party solutions due to Microsoft being stubborn

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Or you spend the $$$ and buy what is considered the best controller ever made with the Microsoft Xbox Elite Series 2. It has a built-in rechargeable battery that gets close to 40 hours of play time, with an included charge dock.
So many customization options that you can make the controller precise to your liking. Two different D-pad attachments, ability to map any button anywhere, 3 readily available configurations at the push of a button.
Paddles on the back for constant thumbstick contact for games that use both for movement. You think the triggers are too long to pull? 3 different stop points. You feel the thumbsticks are too spongy? both sticks have adjustable tension. Thumbstick is not long enough? multiple lengths of thumbsticks included.

The price is high, but a quality customizable controller should be.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #1632
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

The price is high, but a quality customizable controller should be.
Unfortunately, I don’t believe the quality is there with this product. I’ve gone through six (SIX!) Elite 2’s including the new Halo edition, and have had issues with all of them more or less out of the box. The issues have always been input registration-related, with either the face buttons and/or bumpers registering double inputs/no inputs, etc. Amazingly engineered, poorly manufactured. The person at EB that accepted my latest return on the Halo model (damn did that hurt) said they’ve had zillions of these things returned, and that they’re the reason EB stopped offering warranties on premium controllers.

Regarding batteries in controllers, I actually agree with Torque. I used to make fun of the battery thing but am kind of on board now for all of the reasons he mentioned. I have a AA battery charger plugged in a few feet from where I play, so if I’m in a match or something and get the low battery warning, I just swap in a new set and am off to the races. I’ve actually started to prefer it to the play and charge kits.

MS made that design decision based on feedback from users going in to the last 2 generations, according to them, so obviously there are more troglodytes out there like me who prefer the flexibility.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #1633
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the things that gives me pause about whether to bother upgrading to the Elite Series 2 is the fact that the battery is built-in. The other thing? My OG Elite controller is still going strong. I've already worn out the rubber on two sets of the concave thumb-sticks, but I cannot complain at all about the controller itself.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #1634
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Man this was out of date on Xbox 360, let alone Xbox One.

You'd think it would be tough to defend, but when it comes to TorqueDog and Microsoft there's always some creative posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #1635
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You'd think it would be tough to defend, but when it comes to TorqueDog and Microsoft there's always some creative posts.
It is unconscionably stupid to suggest that defending removable and replaceable batteries in expensive consumer goods is a fanboy position, never mind doing so during a global semiconductor shortage. Yeah, it's so much better that we throw away perfectly functional devices when the batteries become inoperable because they cannot be easily replaced by the consumer.

My philosophy on repairable consumer goods has nothing to do with your brand loyalty fanboy bullsh-t, and everything to do with electronic waste and right-to-repair.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #1636
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Unfortunately, I don’t believe the quality is there with this product. I’ve gone through six (SIX!) Elite 2’s including the new Halo edition, and have had issues with all of them more or less out of the box. The issues have always been input registration-related, with either the face buttons and/or bumpers registering double inputs/no inputs, etc. Amazingly engineered, poorly manufactured. The person at EB that accepted my latest return on the Halo model (damn did that hurt) said they’ve had zillions of these things returned, and that they’re the reason EB stopped offering warranties on premium controllers.

Regarding batteries in controllers, I actually agree with Torque. I used to make fun of the battery thing but am kind of on board now for all of the reasons he mentioned. I have a AA battery charger plugged in a few feet from where I play, so if I’m in a match or something and get the low battery warning, I just swap in a new set and am off to the races. I’ve actually started to prefer it to the play and charge kits.

MS made that design decision based on feedback from users going in to the last 2 generations, according to them, so obviously there are more troglodytes out there like me who prefer the flexibility.
I have had one Elite Series 1 and one Elite Series 2 and the only issue I have had was some stick drift( which I fixed with deadzone settings) and a broken right bumper ( which was 100% my fault..as I dropped the bastard on tile flooring) on the first controller. The series 2 has been flawless and I use it for a couple hours a night 5 days a week, so knowing what you have dealt with I feel very fortunate.

Last edited by Since1984; 11-26-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #1637
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It is unconscionably stupid to suggest that defending removable and replaceable batteries in expensive consumer goods is a fanboy position, never mind doing so during a global semiconductor shortage. Yeah, it's so much better that we throw away perfectly functional devices when the batteries become inoperable because they cannot be easily replaced by the consumer.

My philosophy on repairable consumer goods has nothing to do with your brand loyalty fanboy bullsh-t, and everything to do with electronic waste and right-to-repair.
Come on man everyone knows you work for MS. You’re the only person here who was a literal bias and you’ve never wavered from it, nothing you say can ever be taken seriously. Miss me with this environmental BS, lol. Instead of throwing away a controller you throw away 100 pairs of batteries over the years, not to mention the packaging of the batteries, the shipping of the batteries to the store, you going to the store to buy them. It’s monumentally worse for the environment to have replaceable batteries

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 11-26-2021 at 01:23 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 01:37 PM   #1638
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Come on man everyone knows you work for MS. You’re the only person here who was a literal bias and you’ve never wavered from it, nothing you say can ever be taken seriously. Miss me with this environmental BS, lol.
I make no secret that I work for Microsoft, although I'm in the M365 Core engineering org. which is a different org from Xbox.

It turns out Surface is one of the worst offenders for exactly what I'm talking about. They made some big strides with Surface Laptop 3 (battery is still glued in, annoyingly), but up to that point the entire Surface line were regarded as worse than MBPs for repairability, which is no small feat. I've fixed countless laptops and even a couple MacBooks (one polycarbonate and one aluminum MBP) by swapping in replacement batteries and selling them on, allowing them to be of value to someone instead of ending up in a landfill. This is a topic that I genuinely regard as important.

Quote:
Instead of throwing away a controller you throw away 100 pairs of batteries over the years, not to mention the packaging of the batteries, the shipping of the batteries to the store, you going to the store to buy them. It’s monumentally worse for the environment to have replaceable batteries
Man, they should really invent rechargeable batteries one day.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #1639
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Man, they should really invent rechargeable batteries one day.
Or better yet, a controller that doesn't use any batteries at all! Like maybe one you just plug into the console. You'd be first in line for that right, for the environment?
Old 11-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #1640
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man this was out of date on Xbox 360, let alone Xbox One.

TD and thanked by 84...the two biggest Xbox homers on CP

I have owned every system ever just about even the obscure stuff

Nintendo and Sony first party controllers with built in batteries have never failed on me. I think other parts of the controller like the sticks would wear out first.

Its certainly not a deal breaker but it is a plus for Sony and Nintendo when it comes to controllers. First thing I did with my series X was buy battery packs

Last edited by dino7c; 11-26-2021 at 02:23 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote