Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #21
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hmm...

Okay, so there are some fans on here apparently.

Spoil away I suppose, I'm not going to be too upset at that, but in the meantime along with your discussions about how the show doesnt really track perfectly along with the books, could we also elaborate a little?

I gotta say, as someone who hasnt read the books, nor has any plans to, I'm somewhat intrigued by the show...but I do find at times that I trouble following whats going on in the over-arching scheme of things and getting a little lost.

Would you say that the show is expecting a little background knowledge or is it still just trying to find its feet?
I will do my best to flesh out my comments, it has been some time since I read the first few books so I might be a tiny bit off.

My remark on the sword has to do with the heron stamped on the blade. It comes up a lot in the books and Rand being given the sword by his father, who earned it, comes up frequently and is a driving force behind Rand working with Lan to improve is swordsmanship.

As Harry Lime mentioned, there is a lot made of Tam giving the sword to Rand in the books.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #22
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hmm...

Okay, so there are some fans on here apparently.

Spoil away I suppose, I'm not going to be too upset at that, but in the meantime along with your discussions about how the show doesnt really track perfectly along with the books, could we also elaborate a little?

I gotta say, as someone who hasnt read the books, nor has any plans to, I'm somewhat intrigued by the show...but I do find at times that I trouble following whats going on in the over-arching scheme of things and getting a little lost.

Would you say that the show is expecting a little background knowledge or is it still just trying to find its feet?

I think like any TV series based on a book series (e.g. Game of Thrones, the Expanse) there will be some depth to the world and background that doesn't come across and the first couple of episodes I could see it being difficult to keep up with everything going on. But so far it looks like the show is making an attempt to provide some of that background, even if it means inserting a bit of exposition. So I think people could enjoy it and figure out what's going on without having read the books, even if there is a bit "extra" that book readers would understand.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #23
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really enjoying it so far, the first half of the first episode I was really picking it apart. They made it clear the characters were a bit more mature and we're getting an abbreviated story, I thought Egwene and Rand having sex was gross and really betrayed the original story, but it establishes their relationship and maturity without much camera time, so I get it. Then the Trolloc attack started and I put on my fanboy hat and left it there. The only thing I didn't like from the first 3 episodes that stayed with me was Thom's complete lack of a magnificent mustache.

I spent half a day reminiscing over the books with my brother and I'm still surprised by how much I forgot about: Ogier, White Cloaks and even Padan Fain. I even blurted out "Go #### yourself, Padan Fain" after he was introduced, cuz I'm a loser fanboy who's revelling in possibly my last chance to really be a loser fanboy over something.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I think like any TV series based on a book series (e.g. Game of Thrones, the Expanse) there will be some depth to the world and background that doesn't come across and the first couple of episodes I could see it being difficult to keep up with everything going on. But so far it looks like the show is making an attempt to provide some of that background, even if it means inserting a bit of exposition. So I think people could enjoy it and figure out what's going on without having read the books, even if there is a bit "extra" that book readers would understand.
See...I have no issue with that. I actually think thats a much better way of framing a series, much like The Mandalorian.

You dont need to have read every book and seen every show or whatever, it stands on its own, but people more immersed in the world will get a little extra out of it.

No problem.

But the content of the show should stand on its own.

As long as we dont get into the Game of Thrones 'bookreaders vs show-watchers' BS again.

I'm not a huge 'Fantasy Genre' kind of person, but GoT turned out really well (mostly) so I'm willing to give something like this a good shot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #25
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 2 : Thoughts

I can see what they are doing with the first few episodes now. They are really getting into some of the nitty gritty of the world building, which makes sense to introduce the series to a new audience. That mean a lot of the character development is feeling a little rushed, but now that they have separated some of the characters smaller groups, I'm hoping that they slow down a bit an let the characters breathe.

Two episodes in, and a viewer should know that there are Aes Sedai, Whitecloaks, a mention of Borderlands, trollocs and Fades, even some of the wider world such as the White Tower and Logain's War. That's a big exposition dump. I hope that they leave it at that for a bit, and let the characters wander into some situations, letting the world explain itself.

So far, a pretty good start and really setting the stage moving forward. Even got a mention of Manetheren in there. All that a new watcher would need to know about that is that Manetheren (the Two Rivers) is a backwater that had very little distillation of the 'old blood', meaning that people with more unusual abilities are likely to be born there. They are also basically hicks.

Time to have an episode where Perrin can grieve his wife, for God's sakes.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #26
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

“even blurted out "Go #### yourself, Padan Fain" after he was introduced, “

It has been long since I read the books.
Forgot about him, and as I remembered I had the same reaction.

Loved the song and then the AES Sendai telling them the history of the Two Rivers /Manetheren.

Enjoyed.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #27
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think the biggest change that I'm not sure how they'll resolve is.. and I'll put this one in spoilers because it's pretty key to the overall plot...

Spoiler!
Old 11-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #28
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I think the biggest change that I'm not sure how they'll resolve is.. and I'll put this one in spoilers because it's pretty key to the overall plot...

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:22 PM   #29
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

Spoiler!

I don't think it's that big of an issue to resolve.

Spoiler!
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #30
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Old 11-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #31
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 3 - Thoughts

I think that this is where they start to find their rhythm, and why three episodes were released at once to start off. I felt like the first two episodes didn't leave a lot of time to take a breath, and this one allowed all of the groups to stay put for a little while and actually talk to each other.

There are already departures from the books, which makes it easier for everyone new to follow along, and gives those that have read the books an ability to be surprised.

Thom Merrilin is a welcome jolt of personality. I like the emphasis on Darkfriends as a major potential villain, and it will be nice if we spend enough time with some of them to actually know them as characters.

I forgot how deep this world actually was. Totally blanked on the Tu'athan, and happy to already see reference to Aiel. Although in my mind I pronounce them 'ALE'.

I see some real progression from episode to episode. Condensing the books gives them a lot of leeway in storytelling. Aside from Thom, most of the best characters haven't even been introduced yet!
Old 11-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #32
photon

Exp:

Also agree that they totally missed on an awesome Thom moustache.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #33
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
“even blurted out "Go #### yourself, Padan Fain" after he was introduced, “

It has been long since I read the books.
Forgot about him, and as I remembered I had the same reaction.

Loved the song and then the AES Sendai telling them the history of the Two Rivers /Manetheren.

Enjoyed.

I'm also proud of: "Perrin ain't got no wife, bitch, you gonna die."
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #34
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'll be honest, when I was reading the books and they described Tom I just pictured Lanny McDonald and that stuck with me through out.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:36 PM   #35
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyed how they portrayed Logain in episode 4, and so much foreshadowing this episode!
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #36
photon

Exp:

Lol Nynaeve went Super Saijin
Old 11-27-2021, 11:49 PM   #37
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 4 - Settling things down

I actually liked the way that they dealt with Rand and Mat's travels, which was a bit of a drag in the books. They could have explained Mat's state of mind a little better. There was a throwaway line in the books, that a pebble from Shadar Logath stuck in your shoe will eventually corrupt and kill you. It also shadows what happens when a man channels for too long. I'm not sure if a viewer coming from scratch would get the significance of the dagger.

Later, Thom. It's been grand.

Enjoying Logain. Also that they are starting to get into the politics of the world a bit, talking about Ajahs at the White Tower. I'm expecting that they will expound on the 'link' and gentling of Logain in the next episode. It's time there is some friction beyond simply Light and Dark.

After the breakneck speed of the first two episodes, character development is finally taking a bigger role. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the showrunners that things will be explained in due course.

I'm also trying to be careful to not talk about future events, but some of the small things that are in the show that have some significance, it's worth pointing out.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #38
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Episode 4 - Settling things down

I actually liked the way that they dealt with Rand and Mat's travels, which was a bit of a drag in the books. They could have explained Mat's state of mind a little better. There was a throwaway line in the books, that a pebble from Shadar Logath stuck in your shoe will eventually corrupt and kill you. It also shadows what happens when a man channels for too long. I'm not sure if a viewer coming from scratch would get the significance of the dagger.

Later, Thom. It's been grand.

Enjoying Logain. Also that they are starting to get into the politics of the world a bit, talking about Ajahs at the White Tower. I'm expecting that they will expound on the 'link' and gentling of Logain in the next episode. It's time there is some friction beyond simply Light and Dark.

After the breakneck speed of the first two episodes, character development is finally taking a bigger role. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the showrunners that things will be explained in due course.

I'm also trying to be careful to not talk about future events, but some of the small things that are in the show that have some significance, it's worth pointing out.

Not to mention some of the changes they have made will have big implications later on and will necessitate more changes down the road.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #39
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

This episode was so far off from the books, but somehow felt most wheel of time of the 4 episodes so far. Gives me hope that when they do inevitably veer far from the source material it’ll still work.
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #40
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth View Post
This episode was so far off from the books, but somehow felt most wheel of time of the 4 episodes so far. Gives me hope that when they do inevitably veer far from the source material it’ll still work.

Totally agree. It is completely unreasonable for them to try to track the books. You just can't translate a 13 book series into a tv show. But they have done a pretty good job of keeping the major points (even if they jump around a little).

Nynaeve's AoE Cure-All is a great example. Healing doesn't even work like that in the books (you have to touch the person you are healing), but it sent shivers down my spine. good stuff.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote