Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #1161
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
Does anyone know of a good way to get Sportsnet Now on a Roku? I desperately want to ditch our TV, but it seems like they have apps for every device under the sun except for Roku. It seems like my options are:
  • Airplay from an iPhone or iPad, which seems clunky
  • get a new, non-Roku streaming device
  • get the games somewhere other than Sportsnet

It's a little bit frustrating that they don't have a Roku app. I'm no longer thrilled with our Rokus like I was when we first got them, but as far as I know they're still amongst the most popular devices out there. It's odd to me that they're not supported.
One potential workaround you could try is using a web browser on the Roku or TV (if either have one) to go to Sportsnet Now and stream through the browser. Theoretically that should work?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #1162
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
One potential workaround you could try is using a web browser on the Roku or TV (if either have one) to go to Sportsnet Now and stream through the browser. Theoretically that should work?
You lead me to learning that Windows 10 natively supports streaming to wireless displays. I guess I'd heard of Miracast before, but never really looked into using it for anything.

I tested streaming from one of my desktops to a Roku and it worked right away. It's a better solution than murdering my phone battery with Airplay, and maybe I can pick up some different streaming devices on Black Friday or something. People seem to like the new Chromecast with Google TV, right?

Thanks for your suggestion, you got the ol' wheels turning.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #1163
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's perfect. I was going to suggest possibly using Casting from inside Edge (Chromium) but it didn't work with CTV or SportsNet.

But full screen casting works just as well.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #1164
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
You lead me to learning that Windows 10 natively supports streaming to wireless displays. I guess I'd heard of Miracast before, but never really looked into using it for anything.

I tested streaming from one of my desktops to a Roku and it worked right away. It's a better solution than murdering my phone battery with Airplay, and maybe I can pick up some different streaming devices on Black Friday or something. People seem to like the new Chromecast with Google TV, right?

Thanks for your suggestion, you got the ol' wheels turning.
Good ol' Windows + K.

Microsoft also sells a standalone wireless display adapter but if you already have a miracast device, you don't need it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:51 PM   #1165
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I finally cut my cable yesterday. I tried Sportsnet Now on the PS4 App and it would last about 15 minutes during the Flames game before the stream would go blank and the app would stop doing anything. Anyone have any luck fixing that problem? (The game streamed just fine on my PC)

On a related note, if the PS4 app is complete garbage, what's the best platform to watch Sportsnet Now and NHL Live? I'll use my PC connected to my TV for now but would like something less cumbersome like a Chromecast or other streaming box if possible.
I cut the cord in the summer and am watching the exact way you are, and what you mention in the first paragraph happens to me constantly. It's so annoying.

I also stream NFL through DAZN on my PS4, and while not perfect, it's incomparably better than the SN app. Why...I don't know.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #1166
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Had a chance tonight to compare Sportsnet Now and NHL.tv for the Flames game. No VPN, which I'm guessing is because CBC is free OTA. Both apps on Android TV, SN Now had the usual buffering and stuttering, and flipping between 30 and 60 fps. NHL.tv however was completely smooth and rock solid 60 fps. Not sure how they're able to provide a better stream of the Sportsnet feed than Sportsnet themselves, but it's a dramatic difference. So if you're still looking to cut the cord, I'd recommend NHL Gamecenter with a VPN to get around blackouts. Much better experience
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #1167
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

That's pretty interesting to hear. Sportsnet Now Premium comes with NHL Live, so is that the same thing as NHL Gamecenter/NHL.tv? Or is that just what Sportsnet calls the ability to watch all games without blackouts?

I haven't tried the NHL app on the Shield yet, but if I can use my Sportsnet Now account to sign into the NHL app then that would be pretty awesome.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #1168
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Had a chance tonight to compare Sportsnet Now and NHL.tv for the Flames game. No VPN, which I'm guessing is because CBC is free OTA. Both apps on Android TV, SN Now had the usual buffering and stuttering, and flipping between 30 and 60 fps. NHL.tv however was completely smooth and rock solid 60 fps. Not sure how they're able to provide a better stream of the Sportsnet feed than Sportsnet themselves, but it's a dramatic difference. So if you're still looking to cut the cord, I'd recommend NHL Gamecenter with a VPN to get around blackouts. Much better experience
That's an improvement from when I was a subscriber, watching full games on NHL Gamecenter was only for Buddhist monks with infinite patience for the buggy piece of garbage. Nice to hear they improved it dramatically.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #1169
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This isn't at all unexpected.

Sportsnet needs to pay for streaming bandwidth.

- Take "perfect" stream from Saddledome. This is then relayed to a CDN.
- NHL.tv lowers the quality somewhat.
- Sportsnet lowers it a LOT.

This is exactly what I did back when I did streaming events. You take a perfect input and turn it into 22K mono, 30fps @ 640x480. Works fine for talking heads and keeps CDN costs way down.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #1170
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thought I'd put this issue here to see if any of you have a solution to my problem.

I recently switched from Shaw to Lightspeed for my ISP and I have a Sportsnet Now Standard plan to watch Flames games. A number of games, including last night's and tonight's games show as being available under the Standard plan, however, under my login I am unable to access them. The message is that an upgrade in my plan is required which leads me to believe that my IP address is not indicating I am in AB. (this has been confirmed by Lightspeed tech support)

Lightspeed has attempted to fix on their end but have been unsuccessful, so far. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact Sportsnet tech support - not that they'd likely be any help.

Does anyone see any solution that I could implement on my end other than upgrading my Sportsnet Now subscription? I was looking into VPN's but I haven't found any that have servers located in AB so that won't solve my problem if I'm correct about the issue.

I can turn off wifi on my phone and just use cellular, however, then I am unable to stream to my TV (chromecast).

Any suggestions?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #1171
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Thought I'd put this issue here to see if any of you have a solution to my problem.

I recently switched from Shaw to Lightspeed for my ISP and I have a Sportsnet Now Standard plan to watch Flames games. A number of games, including last night's and tonight's games show as being available under the Standard plan, however, under my login I am unable to access them. The message is that an upgrade in my plan is required which leads me to believe that my IP address is not indicating I am in AB. (this has been confirmed by Lightspeed tech support)

Lightspeed has attempted to fix on their end but have been unsuccessful, so far. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact Sportsnet tech support - not that they'd likely be any help.

Does anyone see any solution that I could implement on my end other than upgrading my Sportsnet Now subscription? I was looking into VPN's but I haven't found any that have servers located in AB so that won't solve my problem if I'm correct about the issue.

I can turn off wifi on my phone and just use cellular, however, then I am unable to stream to my TV (chromecast).

Any suggestions?
Further to this, I just learned about IP geolocation services and the results for my IP address are mixed. Some of the geolocators show my real time address as Calgary and others show my real time address as Vancouver, N. Vancouver and Victoria. Not sure why there are differences but I'm guessing Sportsnet Now uses one of the geolocators indicating I'm in BC somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #1172
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How do either of those service's for watching games delayed (either the next day, or starting the game mid-way through it's occurrence)? I am frequently watching the game on a delay and have struggled to find a subscription service that can accommodate this properly - particularly if the delay is only 1 hour or so such that the live event is still streaming.

If I could figure out how to sort this out then I would truly have no need for cable any more, but the ability to PVR flames games and watch delayed is what's kept me with Shaw.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #1173
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm on chat with Rogers again to solve this blackout issue... Very frustrating!
Old 11-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #1174
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePaint View Post
I'm on chat with Rogers again to solve this blackout issue... Very frustrating!
Where's their chat? I haven't been able to find a link even though they say open the chat below.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #1175
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's VERY frustrating! I'm looking at having to use an illegal stream again which has even worse quality that SNNOW does. So bad it's barely worth watching.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #1176
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
It looks like there's a Contact Us button on their support page for Blackouts: https://www.snnow.ca/support/trouble...d-what-do-i-do
Old 11-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #1177
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's VERY frustrating! I'm looking at having to use an illegal stream again which has even worse quality that SNNOW does. So bad it's barely worth watching.
For the 66 time, ir telling you about NHL streams.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:51 PM   #1178
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rogers removed my IP address from blackouts so I guess we'll see what happens next game.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #1179
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
EPSN+ has had all but one Flames game this year. It's great. Streams better than NHL.TV imo

It's part of the Hulu and Disney+ bundle. They all cost about $15 a month together. ESPN+ on its own is only $70 per year.

You could consider that with a VPN.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #1180
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It looks like there's a Contact Us button on their support page for Blackouts: https://www.snnow.ca/support/trouble...d-what-do-i-do
Thanks. I've tried this page on my PC and, for whatever reason, I don't see a contact button (but I do see it on my phone). Turned off ad-blocker and even tried a different browser but for the life of me, I can't understand why I'm unable to start a chat conversation on my PC. As it will be a lengthy chat, I'm trying to avoid engaging with them via my phone.