Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #61
Dude Where's Makar?
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
9.5Mx8 for Tkachuk and 10Mx8 for Johnny. They aren't taking any discounts.
Whats the consensus on those deals around here?
I think we've hit a time where players aren't taking deals and looking for max term/dollar. I would be okay with these deals locking up our two best players.
Dude Where's Makar? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #62
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
9.5Mx8 for Tkachuk and 10Mx8 for Johnny. They aren't taking any discounts.
There are 9 forwards(3 wingers) getting paid over 10M: McDavid, Panarin, Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Toews, Kane, Eichel, Kopitar.

There are 10 more forwards getting paid over 9M: Seguin, Stone, Benn, Malkin, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Rantanen, Backstrom, Kaprizov, Skinner.

12 more forwards getting paid over 8M: Crosby, Stamkos, Draisaitl, Aho, Tkachuk, Giroux, Wheeler, Voracek, Johansen, Duchene, Kessel, Couture.

Now in my mind both Gaudreau and Tkachuk fit better in the 3rd group. I think that until they both prove that they can dominate at both ends of the ice they are not $10M players. At that number they would be overpaid, and we would be as happy as leafs fans with Marner.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #63
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
There are 9 forwards(3 wingers) getting paid over 10M: McDavid, Panarin, Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Toews, Kane, Eichel, Kopitar.

There are 10 more forwards getting paid over 9M: Seguin, Stone, Benn, Malkin, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Rantanen, Backstrom, Kaprizov, Skinner.

12 more forwards getting paid over 8M: Crosby, Stamkos, Draisaitl, Aho, Tkachuk, Giroux, Wheeler, Voracek, Johansen, Duchene, Kessel, Couture.

Now in my mind both Gaudreau and Tkachuk fit better in the 3rd group. I think that until they both prove that they can dominate at both ends of the ice they are not $10M players. At that number they would be overpaid, and we would be as happy as leafs fans with Marner.

You are correct of course, but it you don’t overpay them they aren’t likely signing here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #64
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Is anyone else of the same mind in that Tkachuk will probably only be willing to sign another 3 year deal because he wants to finish his career in St. Louis?

No one is of that mind. Why would he stall his UFA leverage ?

Old 11-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #65
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't see how we can get both signed at $8M+ considering we also need to give Mangiapane and Kylington big raises...

-There are no big UFAs coming off the books
-Unloading Monahan will not be easy
-All the replaceable vets on the roster are close to league minimum anyways, so there isn't much money to be saved

I see $3.5 for Zadorov & $1.5 for Brouwer.
I expect that the Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Kylington & Mangiapane raises will cost an additional $12M (2.5M+2.5M+4M+3M)

Will need to see some serious cap gymnastics this summer or we can expect to lose one of Johnny or Tkachuk
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #66
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I don't see how we can get both signed at $8M+ considering we also need to give Mangiapane and Kylington big raises...

-There are no big UFAs coming off the books
-Unloading Monahan will not be easy
-All the replaceable vets on the roster are close to league minimum anyways, so there isn't much money to be saved

I see $3.5 for Zadorov & $1.5 for Brouwer.
I expect that the Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Kylington & Mangiapane raises will cost an additional $12M (2.5M+2.5M+4M+3M)

Will need to see some serious cap gymnastics this summer or we can expect to lose one of Johnny or Tkachuk
Hopefully Lucic hangs them up after his summer bonus is paid out. That would make it easy.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #67
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reality of the situation is that Johnny is probably leaving regardless of whether the Flames make him a fair offer. He's going back south of the border.

Tkachuk has the option of doing that too by accepting his QO and playing out a year at 9M, of course, but a) I am less sure about him wanting to go anywhere and b) I would think that at the very least if that was going to happen he'd get traded first.

It's... not a great situation in terms of maximizing asset value right now.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #68
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If only Johnny was signed for one more year, then in 2023-24, Lucic's $5.25M will come off the books. Monahan is also up that same year with $6.375M
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:19 AM   #69
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still say JG comes in at 8.5M a year. I think that part is probably already agreed to in contract negotiations, it's the term and clause that is probably still being negotiated. It will get done before free agency, I am not worried. I think Tkachuk will want a 6 year deal and I think his ask will be $11M/yr. I think the Flames will want an 8 year 9M/yr deal. In the end I think it gets done for 7 years, 10M/yr. He will be named Captain at the same time.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 07:23 AM   #70
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The reality of the situation is that Johnny is probably leaving regardless of whether the Flames make him a fair offer. He's going back south of the border.
Whose reality? The one you made up in your head? All signs point to him wanting to get a deal done here. Most players who want to go UFA tell their agent they don't want to negotiate during the season, talks will take place once the season is done. That is not the case here. Is it possible he ends up going to free agency? It's possible but not likely and hardly the reality of the situation.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #71
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
Hopefully Lucic hangs them up after his summer bonus is paid out. That would make it easy.

I assume he can’t collect his bonus and then retire. He’d have to pay it back?

Old 11-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #72
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post

You also have to look at when those contracts were signed. $8 million four years ago, is not the same as $8 million now.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #73
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Tkachuk has the option of doing that too by accepting his QO and playing out a year at 9M, of course, but a) I am less sure about him wanting to go anywhere and b) I would think that at the very least if that was going to happen he'd get traded first.

It's... not a great situation in terms of maximizing asset value right now.
So you're more sure about the guy who talks about wanting to be a career Flame and loving the city leaving for the states than you are the guy with rumours of uncertainty and a disconnect from the team around him for the past year. Interesting.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #74
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So you're more sure about the guy who talks about wanting to be a career Flame and loving the city leaving for the states than you are the guy with rumours of uncertainty and a disconnect from the team around him for the past year. Interesting.
What else do you expect when they are asked these questions by the media? Why has the deal not been done yet? Guys are not just going to come out and say that they want to leave. That would be bad PR. Exhibit A.) Adam Fox.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #75
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Its not done yet cause that's a part of the negotiation and both sides trying to squeeze the best deal for them.

That's why every new contract for top players these days comes down to seconds before midnight, or even after it (Landeskog).

That sounds like an assumption based on your fears. Do you think players are always lying about liking the city and team they've been playing for for years and have deep friendships and roots with? Or would it actually, maybe, kind of make sense that they would be just telling people how they feel?

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-08-2021 at 10:57 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #76
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think players are always lying about liking the city and team they've been playing for for years and have deep friendships and roots with?
Since players always say they like their city and teammates, they’re completely meaningless statements.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #77
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Tkachuk and St. Louis connection is exaggerated, but I do think Tkachuk is all business. If you show him the money, I think he will sign with the Flames. If he is unhappy, he can always ask to be traded and the Flames organization has never been one to hold players back or deny trade requests. You have to do it as soon as possible though. If you wait until free agency is looming and he already assumed most of the risk that comes along with waiting, the temptation to wait just a little longer becomes stronger. I am afraid this might already be the case with JG. He is so close now, he can probably taste it.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #78
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its not done yet cause that's a part of the negotiation and both sides trying to squeeze the best deal for them.

That's why every new contract for top players these days comes down to seconds before midnight, or even after it (Landeskog).

That sounds like an assumption based on your fears. Do you think players are always lying about liking the city and team they've been playing for for years and have deep friendships and roots with? Or would it actually, maybe, kind of make sense that they would be just telling people how they feel?
He has so many deep friendships and roots in Calgary that he spends the offseason back home.

I expect that Johnny would consider staying in Calgary if they offer him maximum term and dollars.

But his statement about him wanting to stay are largely meaningless. What else can he say? What else should he say? I think Calgary's hot start has likely increased his chances of staying.

For the record, Fox told everyone who interviewed him at the draft that his intention was to spend 4 years in college and become a FA, and sign with the Rangers. He was completely upfront with teams. It's why he fell to the 3rd round. The Flames picked him as they thought he represented good trade value at that stage, and they were correct. And he might always change his mind.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #79
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Since players always say they like their city and teammates, they’re completely meaningless statements.
I view those and interviews in their home town about how their dream was to play for their childhood favorite team about equally. At the end of the day, in the vast majority of cases, money talks.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #80
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather "overpay" Tkachuk and Gaudreau" by a million or so than Lucic by 4M

No offense big guy I love you

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win