Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #2661
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A little behind the curve here, but I received my 13 Pro Max yesterday and wanted to share my thoughts. Coming from an XS.

The ProMotion display is incredible. I was playing with both phones side by side and the new 120hz display makes the entire phone feel snappier, and the smoothness between app transitions is awesome. I really hope the iPhone 14 includes a high refresh rate screen outside of the Pro models.

The battery life is outrageous. Phone came out of the box with ~70% charge, and I had over 6 hours of screen on time and the battery was still over 20%. The battery life on my XS was so poor that my first purchase for the phone was the Apple battery case, which almost seemed necessary for my use case.

It’s gigantic and heavy. Honestly, the Max version might be a little much. I have huge hands, but didn’t notice the smaller XS being overly difficult to use or type on. The Pro Max is so heavy that one handed use is downright uncomfortable at times. I don’t watch Netflix or anything on my phone, so I’m thinking maybe next time I’ll get the smaller phone.

The notch is smaller apparently, but I don’t find it particularly noticeable. The extra space doesn’t appear very useful, so I can’t say the smaller notch is anything I’d rave about.

Overall really like the device. If some of the 14 rumours are true (fingerprint scanner, no notch) I might be back to get another next year, but this is a huge upgrade over my old phone.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #2662
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Oh I didn't notice new AirPods. I really don't like earbuds that go into the ear canal, so my choices for earbuds has been decreasing rapidly. I used to use these:

But they were discontinued. The old AirPods I tried but the shape hurts my ears, even with the silicone covers you can get, but these look shaped different, might give them a try.

Though really I'd still like a good pair of wired earbuds that I can wear around the house or to go to sleep with listening to audiobooks.
They are older now and may be a one-off, but the Galaxy Buds Live (bean shape) from Samsung don't seal the ear canal - they just sort of sit there. I hate the ear canal ear pods as well and used the Bose ones as well until I tried the beans.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #2663
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

My new 14" M1 Max laptop has been sitting in China on a runway for a week. Anyone get one of these beasts and play with it?
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #2664
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hatter, I have a 13 Pro and I have to say I am disappointed first time in my life in Apple product. The screen while amazing is so overly sensitive on touch, holding it one hand causes it seizures, with right palm register a touch even ever so light. Typing is a pain it sometimes doesn’t register any click and the screen freezes

I also can’t use my 2016 car bluetooth properly. There is a poor connection to the phone and its all garbled or skips (like a discman) on songs. Maybe the car bluetooth but never had that before.

Also its too heavy.

Maybe I got a lemon but it seems like design flaws. Guess I am due after 10 years
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #2665
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Hatter, I have a 13 Pro and I have to say I am disappointed first time in my life in Apple product. The screen while amazing is so overly sensitive on touch, holding it one hand causes it seizures, with right palm register a touch even ever so light. Typing is a pain it sometimes doesn’t register any click and the screen freezes

I also can’t use my 2016 car bluetooth properly. There is a poor connection to the phone and its all garbled or skips (like a discman) on songs. Maybe the car bluetooth but never had that before.

Also its too heavy.

Maybe I got a lemon but it seems like design flaws. Guess I am due after 10 years
Take it in under applecare for certain. But now that you mention it i've found the screen touchy.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #2666
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've also found it touchy but that description sounds like there may be more at play. Can't say I've seen the keyboard not work.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #2667
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I don't find it any different touch sensitivity or typing wise from my X. It is quite a bit heavier though.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #2668
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
My new 14" M1 Max laptop has been sitting in China on a runway for a week. Anyone get one of these beasts and play with it?
I ordered two 16" Macbook Pro Max last week and should see them next week I hope. At $7K a pop these god damn things better tie my shoes and not just be #### like everything else they've done lately. I have been thoroughly unimpressed with anything Big Sur/Monterey and M related.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #2669
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I ordered two 16" Macbook Pro Max last week and should see them next week I hope. At $7K a pop these god damn things better tie my shoes and not just be #### like everything else they've done lately. I have been thoroughly unimpressed with anything Big Sur/Monterey and M related.
Have you used an M1 processor yet? My top of the line 4000 dollar loaded I7 can't handle just about anything because of the heat and the size.

I'm curious.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #2670
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have 6 M1 Mac Mini’s and a couple of the 13” MacBook pros. Everything is ok but not great or at least doesn’t live up to the billing. For the cost the mini’s are absolutely worth it but the laptops are not. I don’t have a lot of hands on with the laptops but they work just fine just hard to justify the price. We mainly use the minis for conforming and editing HD to 8K video.

I have a couple i7 minis as well and I don’t really see any performance differences to the M1. On my desk I bounce between a M1 mini, i7 mini and a win 11 i7 laptop and the laptop more than holds its own.

Boss has a fully decked out i9 16” MacBook Pro but at $6 or $7K it’s crazy. I am hoping to inherit that when he takes one of the new Max ones. We plan on running some comparisons when it arrives.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #2671
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I busted my old iPhone, which is fine in it self as I planned to get a new one this month anyway. But I would like to get all my photos and what not off of it. Half the screen doesn't work so I can't unlock it with the passcode.

Is the only way to repair the screen? Anyone have any other suggestions? I need to unlock it for my computer to recognize it.

Thanks.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:35 PM   #2672
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So I busted my old iPhone, which is fine in it self as I planned to get a new one this month anyway. But I would like to get all my photos and what not off of it. Half the screen doesn't work so I can't unlock it with the passcode.

Is the only way to repair the screen? Anyone have any other suggestions? I need to unlock it for my computer to recognize it.

Thanks.
Do you frequently backup to the cloud?

I just switched from the IPhoneX to the IPhone 13 and also just switched providers. I was able to sign in on my new phone and it was like nothing had changed.

If you have a regular backup to the cloud you should hopefully be all good once you get a new device
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #2673
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default General Apple Megathread

nm
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #2674
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Do you frequently backup to the cloud?

I just switched from the IPhoneX to the IPhone 13 and also just switched providers. I was able to sign in on my new phone and it was like nothing had changed.

If you have a regular backup to the cloud you should hopefully be all good once you get a new device
I guess my cloud was full so the last back up was quite a long time ago and I never really noticed.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #2675
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought if you had previously trusted the computer you plugged the phone into that it didn’t require your passcode every time to be able to view the phone’s storage?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #2676
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is it that Touch ID on my iPhone 8 is basically flawless for any sort of app authorization and Apple Pay but only works around 25% of the time to unlock my phone??
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #2677
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Why is it that Touch ID on my iPhone 8 is basically flawless for any sort of app authorization and Apple Pay but only works around 25% of the time to unlock my phone??
For serious?

Touch ID on my iPhone 8 was flawless, I still somewhat miss that device.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:33 PM   #2678
photon

Exp:

New stuff today.. expensive monitor, expensive desktop, new iPhone SE..

But what really interested me was the new M1 Ultra CPU, which is basically two M1 Max chips glued together.

And what really interested me there is how they combine the two distinct GPUs together to work on a single task. This isn't SLI or the weird GPUs that had two processors. If it's true multi GPU working on one thing that could be an industry first.

The desktop PC with an M1 Ultra is like $5000 though. Too much. I mean the GPU is supposed to be on par with a 3090 which costs what, half that right now? But still.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:41 PM   #2679
photon

Exp:

Also $500 to get a height adjustment on your monitor stand.

Lol.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:26 PM   #2680
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have queued up a Studio Ultra for testing. Priced out at $6500 I think. Cheaper than the windows systems I was looking at so I am really interested in the performance. The M1 Max MacBook Pro runs damn well so I expect these to be similar.

Monitor is ridiculous. Just buy LG which makes the panel anyways.