Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #821
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
On the stand. I don't plug mine in.
Very interesting. Ya, mine is really unreliable. It will work 1, maybe 2 nights in a row and then just says "fast charging" on the 3rd night and doesn't change to adaptive. And I have the same phone. Maybe I need to experiment some more.

Would you mind keeping me posted if it keeps working correctly over the next week or so?

I did also notice the "charged before alarm" seems to be working better now as I too noticed even with adaptive charging, it was fully charged well before my alarm went off. Not the case these days.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 10-29-2021 at 03:13 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #822
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

For sure. Ive never had it not say 'adaptive charging', it just always charged long before the alarm. Apparently it only works if you plug it in/put it on the stand and then turn your alarm on. Oh and it only works if you do this after 9pm and the alarm is before 8am (I think 8am anyway).
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #823
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Apparently it only works if you plug it in/put it on the stand and then turn your alarm on. Oh and it only works if you do this after 9pm and the alarm is before 8am (I think 8am anyway).

Odd, I never do that and it works properly when plugged in.

Guess I'll try the stand again, see how it works out.

And ya, I've been doing this all within the time requirements for AC to kick in.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #824
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah give the put it on the stand and then turn on the alarm a shot.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:21 PM   #825
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

First impressions, upgrading from a Pixel 2: Not a fan of lack of a 'back' button, swiping from the left is a bit of a pain. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Also miss the fingerprint scanner on the back, the thumb scanner on this one seems really slow

In that review video posted up thread, the guy mentioned how fast the voice to text is. I find it's exactly the same as my pixel 2. I also use an iPhone X with a different number, and v2t is slow AF, so I wonder if that's where the comparison was made

Otherwise quite happy. I chose the orange color phone and it's a bit duller than I expected. The plan was for it to match my delightfully charming personality (so maybe I'm duller than I thought). The oversized screen is wonderful, I haven't had one of the XL models since the Galaxy Note 3, but this feels way bigger. The camera blows my P2 out of the water. I don't think it's any better or worse than the iPhone x though

I did not import anything from my old phone, cause there's so much s*** on that one I figured I'd just are fresh. But I would like to import just my old texts from P2. Does anyone know how?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 09:50 PM   #826
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
First impressions, upgrading from a Pixel 2: Not a fan of lack of a 'back' button, swiping from the left is a bit of a pain. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Also miss the fingerprint scanner on the back, the thumb scanner on this one seems really slow

In that review video posted up thread, the guy mentioned how fast the voice to text is. I find it's exactly the same as my pixel 2. I also use an iPhone X with a different number, and v2t is slow AF, so I wonder if that's where the comparison was made

Otherwise quite happy. I chose the orange color phone and it's a bit duller than I expected. The plan was for it to match my delightfully charming personality (so maybe I'm duller than I thought). The oversized screen is wonderful, I haven't had one of the XL models since the Galaxy Note 3, but this feels way bigger. The camera blows my P2 out of the water. I don't think it's any better or worse than the iPhone x though

I did not import anything from my old phone, cause there's so much s*** on that one I figured I'd just are fresh. But I would like to import just my old texts from P2. Does anyone know how?

I am not a fan either which is why I put a set of buttons back on. You can do the same by going to Settings/System/Gestures/ and then set System Navigation to 3-button navigation. That will give you a back, home and switch apps button.

I did migrate over everything from my old phone. When you go through the process it asks you what you want to transfer over. So you could go through the setup and just check texts.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #827
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's way better - thanks!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:56 AM   #828
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think once you get used to the swipe navigation you'll never go back. Worth trying for a day or two. I love it and try to swipe everything now.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #829
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I think once you get used to the swipe navigation you'll never go back. Worth trying for a day or two. I love it and try to swipe everything now.
Yeah, I can't believe how much I love the new way to navigate. It's so much better and really easy to get used to.

Also, Magic Eraser is the bomb. I keep editing out my one friend from all our group shots and sending them out in the group chat just to fata with him. It's amazing how well it works.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #830
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I also thought I would go back to having the back button when I switched from Pixel 2 to Pixel 5, but after a couple days I realized the swiping was actually better. The way the interface works with the swiping gives so much screen real estate back to you!

I had to change the swiping area for the Back gesture to be smaller in the settings for it to feel right, but now it's great.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #831
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I just can't do gesture navigation on my phone. I've tried it out but I'm so used to having a back button in the bottom right (Samsung was my first Android phone) that I get really annoyed when it's not there. Trying to swipe from the left one handed is annoying with larger screens, doesn't register half the time for me, and it much slower than just tapping the button
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #832
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I just can't do gesture navigation on my phone. I've tried it out but I'm so used to having a back button in the bottom right (Samsung was my first Android phone) that I get really annoyed when it's not there. Trying to swipe from the left one handed is annoying with larger screens, doesn't register half the time for me, and it much slower than just tapping the button
You can swipe from the right, too. Either way works the same.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #833
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Add me in for the swipe navigation love. I can't imagine going back to having a dedicated back button. So much more real estate, smoother navigation when in landscape mode. So good.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #834
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I also thought I would go back to having the back button when I switched from Pixel 2 to Pixel 5, but after a couple days I realized the swiping was actually better. The way the interface works with the swiping gives so much screen real estate back to you!

I had to change the swiping area for the Back gesture to be smaller in the settings for it to feel right, but now it's great.
Oh cool, didn't realize you could adjust the size of the swipe area. I just shrunk mine down as well and it went from awesome to perfection. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #835
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How do I change the area of the swipe gesture?

Also, the At A Glance widget (date/weather) in the top left corner of the homescreen, seems to be stuck there. Based on my search, I think it's fubarred for most. Anyone haalve that issue?

Last edited by Captain Otto; 11-01-2021 at 09:29 PM. Reason: I'm dumb.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #836
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
How do I change the area of the swipe gesture?

Also, the At A Glance widget (date/weather) in the top left corner of the homescreen, seems to be stuck there. Based on my search, I think it's fubarred for most. Anyone haalve that issue?
To change the area of the swipe gesture:
Settings/System/Gestures/System Navigation/Gesture Navigation Settings.
I put my left edge and right edge sensitivity to low and it was a big improvement for how I interact with my phone.

That at a glance thing is sort of stuck there and it's weird I can't seem to change the info displayed, or add more in depth weather info across the whole top of the screen instead of adding in a third-party weather app. Where the at a glance thing is awesome is if you have a reminder or anything. It places it it right there across the whole top of your screen. Apparently other types of alerts will go there, too (eg a tornado warning). I'm going to give that one a minute...I think it has promise to be something I like.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #837
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
To change the area of the swipe gesture:
Settings/System/Gestures/System Navigation/Gesture Navigation Settings.
I put my left edge and right edge sensitivity to low and it was a big improvement for how I interact with my phone.

That at a glance thing is sort of stuck there and it's weird I can't seem to change the info displayed, or add more in depth weather info across the whole top of the screen instead of adding in a third-party weather app. Where the at a glance thing is awesome is if you have a reminder or anything. It places it it right there across the whole top of your screen. Apparently other types of alerts will go there, too (eg a tornado warning). I'm going to give that one a minute...I think it has promise to be something I like.
Just from my reading on research, people seem to be complaining that AAG widget both can't be moved and only displays the weather even if you click the date. Which is odd because you can actually place a 5x1 horizontal AAG widget on your screen that displays date, time and weather and depending on which information you click, that particular app opens. That is how it has always worked. So I'm not sure what they are doing with this AAG widget that's glued to both the upper left corner of the lock and home screens.

Thanks for the instructions on the gesture sensitivity.

I was waiting for you review since you got yours before me. How do you like it so far?

Edit - Are you have any issues with your WiFi auto-connecting? Mine doesn't seem to want to auto-connect and I have to manually do it. I have auto-detect enabled and wifi scanning enabled. Can't figure it out.

Last edited by Captain Otto; 11-02-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #838
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

my pixel 6 should arrive tomorrow what did you all get for a case. I'm tempted to go no case but likely should put something on.

Was long overdue to replace my oneplus 5t can't wait to have a new phone again.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #839
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
my pixel 6 should arrive tomorrow what did you all get for a case. I'm tempted to go no case but likely should put something on.

Was long overdue to replace my oneplus 5t can't wait to have a new phone again.
I picked up a Spigen Liquid Air from Amazon. It's good but a little too smooth for my liking.

I also order a Latercase which looks pretty cool but won't be here until December.

https://latercase.com/collections/go...xel-thin-cases

Old 11-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #840
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Just from my reading on research, people seem to be complaining that AAG widget both can't be moved and only displays the weather even if you click the date. Which is odd because you can actually place a 5x1 horizontal AAG widget on your screen that displays date, time and weather and depending on which information you click, that particular app opens. That is how it has always worked. So I'm not sure what they are doing with this AAG widget that's glued to both the upper left corner of the lock and home screens.

Thanks for the instructions on the gesture sensitivity.

I was waiting for you review since you got yours before me. How do you like it so far?

Edit - Are you have any issues with your WiFi auto-connecting? Mine doesn't seem to want to auto-connect and I have to manually do it. I have auto-detect enabled and wifi scanning enabled. Can't figure it out.
Not having any Wi-Fi issues at all.

For my review, I'll start with cons (most are as compared to my Galaxy S10):
- heavy
- no face ID (I hope they add that)
- finger print sensor is a tad slow

Pros:
- vibration/haptic is very strong so I can feel it in my pocket way better than my old phone, even when wearing looser jeans
- Magic Eraser is hilariously fun and awesome
- Gestures I fataing love...probably would have got those eventually in my S10, but who knows. For now it's on this phone and not on my old one and it's a huge improvement
- Battery life is awesome. A lot of the reviews suggested the battery life is mediocre, but I'm not finding that. I think it's great. Full day of heavy use and I'm going to bed with just a hair under 50% with no charging through the day.
- The live translate thing is great. I work with a lot of ESL people and we've tried it out. It makes having a conversation in different languages really cool and it translates incredibly fast.
- This next pro is kind of a cheat since I haven't used it for this purpose, but I like filming my kids snowboard - the stabilization of the video camera seems like it's going to be great, so I'm looking forward to using that, but I haven't yet.
- "Now Playing" - that is a killer feature. The phone is just ambiently listening to the music that is playing around you and keeping a list of the songs you are hearing. You can then add them to your mixes or whatever with just a couple of taps. It's like an automatic Shazam with a better memory. Such a great feature.

Neutral:
- was excited about 120hz screen (that was a big reason I went with the Pro), but I don't think I can tell a difference between that and the regular Pixel.
- size of the screen versus every other smaller phone I've had. I'm kind of neither here nor there on that. Thought I'd really like it or find it too big - turns out it's neither. I'm just fine with it.
- Pure Android - you hear a lot of "SaMsUnG SuX 'CaUsE bLoAtWaRe". I don't see much of a difference. I don't think Samsung's "bloatware" ever caused me any problems, although I was running a Google Launcher on my S10 so maybe that's why? But yeah, this software experience barely differs from my Samsung software experience with the exception of the changes to Android 12 that the S10 hadn't got yet.

Overall, I do like it. The Pixel Buds are nice, too, and they interact with the phone very seamlessly. Like, you can listen to texts and respond to them very quickly with just your voice. I wouldn't bother doing that with my Samsung Buds on my old phone because it was kind of cumbersome to do so. With the Pixel Buds and the Pixel phone, the interaction between the two is really really good.

I think the regular Pixel is the better deal, though. The 120hz isn't as cool as I thought it'd be and I doubt I'll use the 4x zoom camera very often. Maybe the extra 4gigs of ram in the Pro will help future proof it somewhat versus the regular 6.

All in all, a solid, worthwhile upgrade with no buyer's remorse.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: