Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 10-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #341
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That sucks for SJ that they will be dragging that cap hit around with no way of getting out of it.
Boy that's a real shame...
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #342
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
on TSN they said the COVID violation is not grounds for terminating the contract. the suspension is the punishment.

They speculated the Sharks might waive and send Kane to the AHL or just put him on paid leave.
Not that SJ shouldn’t eat that contract, but to me forging a vaccine passport is worse than what Richards was accused (and later had the charges dropped) of.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #343
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Not that SJ shouldn’t eat that contract, but to me forging a vaccine passport is worse than what Richards was accused (and later had the charges dropped) of.
That Kings situation was an outlier. Either there's more to it than we know of or the league did them a solid there. I doubt we will see something like that again when a team can get out of a bad contract for something as minor as that arrest.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #344
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That Kings situation was an outlier. Either there's more to it than we know of or the league did them a solid there. I doubt we will see something like that again when a team can get out of a bad contract for something as minor as that arrest.
I’m no Richards fan but the Kings sure got a break.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #345
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That sucks for SJ that they will be dragging that cap hit around with no way of getting out of it.
My heart bleeds for them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #346
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
SJ should just file for bankruptcy, take off on vacation and tell Kane he’s SOL and can he leave the keys to the locker room under the mat after he’s done cleaning out the dressing room.
Maybe that just works on ex wives and daughters.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #347
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Both Kane and the Sharks want out of the contract.

The Sharks for the cap hit and Kane so he can declare bankruptcy and wipe out the tens of millions that he owes. Not going to happen though due to the lawyers for all his creditors.
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #348
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Quote:
I’m no Richards fan but the Kings sure got a break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
My heart bleeds for them.
Ehhh, the Kings had to reach a settlement with Richards—in cooperation with the League and PA—to pay him out, and it wasn't/isn't some magic bullet that solved all their problems.

They're still dragging around a few hundred grand a year in dead cap space for the next decade.

EDIT: By contrast, if the Sharks just conventionally buy Kane out, they'll save $14.667M over this season and the next three, and get dinged with a $1.833M cap hit from 2025-26 to 2028-29. Overall it'll save them $7.33M in cap space over the next eight years. Richards', if conventionally bought out, would have saved the Kings that same $7.33M in cap space spread over 10 years instead. The settlement saves them $11.65M over 17 years.

Last edited by timun; 10-20-2021 at 05:21 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #349
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey he made the Late show monoluge last night. Was shamed nationally then Colbert said this was the only thing he knew about hockey lol. Also made the point that the NHL dosen't have a vaccine mandate which is why they are a joke compared to the other 3 big sports. Which is fair.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-20-2021 at 10:46 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #350
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Hey he made the Late show monoluge last night. Was shamed nationally then Colbert said this was the only thing he knew about hockey lol. Also made the point that the NHL dosen't have a vaccine mandate which is why they are a joke compared to the other 3 big sports. Which is fair.

I generally appreciate a lot of Colbert’s material but in this case thought it was selling their position a bit short of the reality.

They do have different protocols for vaccinated and non vaccinated players. Much as Alberta doesn’t have a vaccine mandate but has imposed restrictions which do materially impact the unvaccinated. Clearly they were disincentive enough for that idiot to use a forged document

Couldn’t laugh at his punchline

Also Jon Batiste is awesome
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:29 AM   #351
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I generally appreciate a lot of Colbert’s material but in this case thought it was selling their position a bit short of the reality.

They do have different protocols for vaccinated and non vaccinated players. Much as Alberta doesn’t have a vaccine mandate but has imposed restrictions which do materially impact the unvaccinated. Clearly they were disincentive enough for that idiot to use a forged document

Couldn’t laugh at his punchline

Also Jon Batiste is awesome
Not a good sign comparing NHL to Alberta's poorly designed vaccine passport. There's not even an app for businesses to scan the qr code. Alberta's really relying on paper forms .

Bc for example I go out they SCAN the code and they ask me so your *name omitted* I say yes . They say can I see your ID just to confirm. I show they go thank you. So yes I guess comparing a 3rd rate program vs a 4th leugue team is comparing apples to apples.

Also no NHL does have some different rules but they can't afford tip names not to play so they are weak as ####. Duncan Keith is still playing because Oilers. While teams like Vancouver are waiving harmonic. The NHL as left it up to teams . While other leagues seem to be like you wanna play for us you get a shot. Maybe because the NHL is a international leugue more so than others outside MLB which only has toronto.

Kane probably forged something because Many Cali cities have mandates but not the nhl themselves. Hence Again harmonic and Keith. Bc has much stricter rules hence moving on from Hamonic and Alberta has #### to none in enforcement hence Keith playing. Many American cities have tough mandates vs states rules. Geographic location obviously playing huge roles .

The nhl also has super relaxed restrictions on what a player can or cannot do. They unvaccinated also get paid if they test positive and can return to play with 2 negative tests within 24 hours even if they test positive a couple days before where NFL players regardless of how many tests are negative can't return for a minimum of ten days after exposure.

The nhl is a 4th rate league and can't afford a top 2nd line player of a team to sit out to long. Other leugues know they can afford to let players sit a week or two. Bigger fan base overall ,betterarketing etc etc,etc. . The nhl is Canada's game but it's still fighting for top spot in ratings here in a population that 3 cities combined in the USA make up. The nhl has weak rules because they are a weak rating sport.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-21-2021 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:55 AM   #352
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ whatever you are saying, my point was simply that Colbert implied that there were no consequences of being unvaccinated, but there actually are
Old 10-21-2021, 01:02 AM   #353
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ whatever you are saying, my point was simply that Colbert implied that there were no consequences of being unvaccinated, but there actually are

Weak consequences regardless of vaccine status.

Let's not pretend that Kanes getting only hit with covid violations here. This was just a way to get him similar how they get gangsters under the tax code vs murder,intimation etc...
They got him faking a covid card because sj has a municipal mandate not a leugue mandate. Kinda how they nailed al capote. The leugue was gunning for him due to the summer cluster #### but there rules were pretty lack.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-21-2021 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:37 AM   #354
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ I don’t disagree

I myself have brought up the Al Capone analogy here

Simply that it’s not like the NHL has no consequences. Yeah a guy can play, but he’s pretty much on house arrest on road trips, no? Social pressure to be able to join team events or even leave your hotel room on the road are not nothing

Remember when people were sympathetic about the mental strain on the poor players playing in the bubble?

That’s it. Simply that Colbert saying there is no vaccine mandate is short selling it. There are consequences. As you rightly note (I interpret), sure there could be worse consequences. But there aren’t none.

Which Colbert didn’t even say, but did imply

I’m a tough audience for lazy comedy
Old 10-21-2021, 02:49 AM   #355
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Screw SJ. I hope they are forced to keep that contract on their books and have to drag it around until the bitter end. Also hope it's a massive distraction going forward each and everyday.

They knew about Kane's character before they signed him, more so then any of us ever will. Undoubtedly some kind of risk/reward chart was made by the GM outlining the pros and cons of the deal, and they went for the "pro" side of things. Things backfired and they should absolutely not be let out of it.

Sick of seeing teams weasel their way out of these albatross contracts like this and for once in my life I'd like to see it played through and screw a team over . Especially a division rival.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #356
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Not a good sign comparing NHL to Alberta's poorly designed vaccine passport. There's not even an app for businesses to scan the qr code.
There is an app to scan the QR code available and works today. It’s up to the business to start using it now. November 15th is the day only QR code’s will be excepted
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #357
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
There is an app to scan the QR code available and works today. It’s up to the business to start using it now. November 15th is the day only QR code’s will be excepted
Anyone can download it for free and it’s super easy. A music organization I assist with has already begun using it for its events. I have the scanner app on my phone and it works fine (at least for my family’s codes).
Old 10-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #358
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was scanned for the first time entering the rec center in Cochrane yesterday. Works good.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #359
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I was scanned for the first time entering the rec center in Cochrane yesterday. Works good.
Really? Was that the big front door? I didn't even notice at the rink doors, then again they have added a sticker to our membership cards so I just flashed it and walked in.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #360
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the other hand, as I said elsewhere, at the movie theatre the kids at the door just checked to see if I had a QR code. Not what it said - just that I had one. It could have been an image from any QR code.