Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #6361
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
$2/litre would hurt a lot of people. On the other hand, we need to be burning less of the stuff - is this enough to change people’s behaviour? Drive less, trade down to a more efficient vehicle, lower your thermostat a few degrees, do some energy renovations…
Probably means those that are saving money just save less. Those who can't afford it take the bus. Etc.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #6362
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

the impact on the price of food will be something else that will be harder to side step.
We eat oil. The last time oil prices surged beyond $100, we saw food riots all over the world.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #6363
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We eat oil. The last time oil prices surged beyond $100, we saw food riots all over the world.
I don’t remember that. Is there a good summary somewhere of that?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #6364
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t remember that. Is there a good summary somewhere of that?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007...d_price_crisis
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 10-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #6365
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Oil going up too high will be super bad for Alberta as it will only accelerate society’s desire to get off it, which, fair enough.

OPEC holds all the cards now.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #6366
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Oil going up too high will be super bad for Alberta as it will only accelerate society’s desire to get off it, which, fair enough.

I’ll take our chances. We are in this position because society’s desire to get off it.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #6367
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe. If we're only going to produce oil for the next 30-50 years I'd rather (as an Alberta taxpayer) we get $150/bbl than $40/bbl
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #6368
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That’s true. Alberta should still introduce a PST and start to save / invest the royalty income though.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #6369
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That’s true. Alberta should still introduce a PST and start to save / invest the royalty income though.
Or they should just tax corporations at appropriately, benchmarking across North American, Alberta undercharges by like 4 points.

And for personal taxes maybe it would be better if we just charged them at time of income, instead of gift wrapping a huge structural advantage to those with the resources to hold savings, and garner returns from passive investments, then wondering why economic mobility is a problem.

And if our concern is not capturing tax income from tourists, maybe we could just charge hospitality taxes on hotels / attractions.

There are a bunch of solutions that exist that aren't temporally regressive, like sales taxes. (Rebate programs are a problem too, because often they way they functionally work out is the government or the business are holding money destined for people who are carrying high interest debt waiting for that money to be returned, adding fuel to the problem as the interest payments while waiting for the rebate outstrip the rebate itself).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #6370
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about just not taxing essentials though? We do this with the GST/HST and that (along with rebates) seems to work quite well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #6371
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most egalitarian countries in the world all have VAT/sales taxes of 20-25 per cent. Necessities are taxed at a lower rate.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #6372
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another benefit of high VAT is that it reduces waste. You are less likely to buy something new, if reusing/repurposing/buying used is that much cheaper.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #6373
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Another benefit of high VAT is that it reduces waste. You are less likely to buy something new, if reusing/repurposing/buying used is that much cheaper.
I don't think that will work well though with our lack of right to repair laws.

If both issues were fixed it would help for sure.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #6374
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't think that will work well though with our lack of right to repair laws.

If both issues were fixed it would help for sure.
I don't think most people use things until they stop working. They get something shiny and new because they want it. Not saying repairabilty isn't an issue, just that it's only one piece of as purchasing decision.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #6375
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with all this bullish talk, am I supposed to be buying Canadian energy stocks now? I usually have all of my money in a passive index fund over the entire US economy, but should I be buying Cenovus now or something?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:47 PM   #6376
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
So with all this bullish talk, am I supposed to be buying Canadian energy stocks now? I usually have all of my money in a passive index fund over the entire US economy, but should I be buying Cenovus now or something?
If you live in Calgary your real estate value is tied to O+G. Depending on your job it is to a varying degree you job is dependant on O+G. So your question is should you become even less diversified?

If you are an index investor it’s generally because you don’t believe you have the ability to pick stocks or don’t have the ability to pick someone who will out perform the market. So if that is the case I don’t see why you would change strategy.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #6377
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
You can always invest in something like NNRG if individual companies are not your thing, but you believe in the Canadian sector. This is what I have a good chunk of money in. The manager, Eric Nuttall, is also a good guy to follow on Twitter to keep tabs on the Canadian sector.
https://www.ninepoint.com/funds/nine...v-toggle=14208

Personally I also have money in some Offshore companies (RIG, VAL, NE), but that is more speculative (I think as more and more countries impose regulations on oil exploration inland, offshore will become more attractive).
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #6378
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Or they should just tax corporations at appropriately, benchmarking across North American, Alberta undercharges by like 4 points.
But what about the AlBeRtA aDvAnTaGe?!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 10-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #6379
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What about just not taxing essentials though? We do this with the GST/HST and that (along with rebates) seems to work quite well.
Making paternalistic judgements about how the working poor should be spending their money doesn't really fit well with the libertarian modern right wing philosophy does it?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #6380
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Making paternalistic judgements about how the working poor should be spending their money doesn't really fit well with the libertarian modern right wing philosophy does it?
It isn’t a paternalistic judgement. It isn’t being proposed to incentivize spending on essentials.