Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #101
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I don’t understand the focus on Gudbranson when by all reports Zadorov was lacklustre in the preseason, cost us a 3rd, and clearly wants term and an AAV well above what his contributions would dictate.

At least Gudbranson was a FA add and shoots right, which also is important to consider given how many good young LHD we have.
Well, he hasn't received those things, and will have to earn them, so no worries.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #102
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I don’t understand the focus on Gudbranson when by all reports Zadorov was lacklustre in the preseason, cost us a 3rd, and clearly wants term and an AAV well above what his contributions would dictate.
Zadorov at least has a history of competent top six play, especially in 2019 when he was paired with Ian Cole, which is about as close to Tanev as it gets.

Maybe he's overpaid, maybe he's even our fourth-best LD, but he's an NHL player.

Historically Gudbranson has... not been at least that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Well, he hasn't received those things, and will have to earn them, so no worries.
Well, yes and no. His current aav sets his qualifying offer pretty high, so the Flames will probably have to not qualify him, in which case we threw another 3rd away if he can't at least show one team he is worth his QO.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-15-2021 at 11:16 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #103
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Zadorov at least has a history of competent top six play, especially in 2019 when he was paired with Ian Cole, which is about as close to Tanev as it gets.

Maybe he's overpaid, maybe he's even our fourth-best LD, but he's an NHL player.

Historically Gudbranson has... not been at least that.

Well, yes and no. His current aav sets his qualifying offer pretty high, so the Flames will probably have to not qualify him, in which case we threw another 3rd away if he can't at least show one team he is worth his QO.
How is it throwing away a 3rd round pick if the guy plays a year in the top four when the team (Sutter/Treliving) felt they needed him?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #104
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would have loved if the had brought Jake Bean in for a 2nd rnd pick. Oh well.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #105
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Seattle scooping up a bunch of D this season, it was more slim pickings in the trade and FA market than usual.

That being said Gudbranson is still a head scratcher.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #106
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have seen a lot of 'Gudbranson sucks, why is he here' posts. Yes, I wasn't a fan of this signing, but it is hardly a stretch to figure out why he really is here.

What did this team set out to do in the off-season? I would say two things - become better defensively, and become much more difficult to play against and intimidating. Heck, Gudbranson is the 2nd 'scariest' player on the Flames right now, and he prevented Mackey from probably getting beat-up for being 'hard to play against' himself. Some people were upset with that, but I know I would much rather have Gudbranson taking care of that stuff that Mackey or whomever else.

We also know that Sutter reached out to him in the off-season. Obviously Sutter sees a role for him. I also assume that Sutter feels he can work with him, no? I am keeping my mind open on this one. I bet he will improve and provide Calgary with a lot of unnoticeable minutes. Why? That's what he did in Anaheim, Pittsburgh and Nashville, according to their fans. I bothered to go and look up their reactions, and they seemed to universally like him and wish that he was on their team still. I think the problem with Gudbranson is that he played too far up the lineup in Vancouver and Ottawa.

With that being said, Regehr was not the Regehr we remember until Sutter got his hands on him. Maybe he can really work with Gudbranson too? I am not saying he is going to quickly turn Gudbranson into Regehr 2.0, but what I am saying is that players often improve - especially defensively - when they buy-in and are given good coaching. Maybe - just maybe - Gudbranson is one of these under Sutter?

I think Zadorov was much worse during the preseason. I am terrified when the puck is on his stick, as his propensity for giving the puck away seemed pretty high. However, once again, I expect Zadorov to also improve. One thing about Zadorov is that I don't think he has ever been looked at as a 'steady defensive defencemen', and this is why he moves around. If there was a single defencemen in the NHL that I felt could turn into a Regehr 2.0, it would actually be him, given his mobility for a big man.

I am excited at what Sutter can turn both Zadorov and Gudbranson into. I worry a lot less actually about Gudbranson since I know he will be playing more limited minutes and against lesser quality of opposition. Maybe I would have been more livid like some posters are if Ward or Gulutzan were the coaches here. I just think that Sutter has a fairly decent track record of making defencemen like these useful, and sometimes even great. These are two big men with agility (yes, even Gudbranson - not a burner, but pretty good skating for a big man, that's for sure).

Instead of worrying about it or being all upset over it, I look at Kylington, Valimaki, Stone and Mackey, and know that if Zadorov continues to just throw pucks away, or if Gudbranson starts getting walked every game, that they will find themselves 'in the rotation' at least. Sutter isn't shy about sitting stars, why would he be shy about sitting non-stars? I think that there is perhaps no better coach in the NHL at the moment to squeeze the most out of those two defencemen. For those reasons, I am going to continue keeping an open mind about the both of them, and expect them to eventually be 'unnoticeable minute munchers' for the most part (except for the occasional big hits by both of them, or the occasional fight by Gudbranson sticking up for a teammate). If they don't become that, then I get to see what the team with Valimaki, Kylington and one of Mackey or Stone permanently in the lineup looks like too.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 12:22 PM   #107
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll preface this that I do not like the signing overall, but Gudbranson has an excellent reputation in the room. I realize that's the type of intangible that can drive folks nuts, but if you believe this group needed a bit of a culture change, and needed to replace some of the leadership that Gio provided - that could have been a factor
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:22 PM   #108
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Would have loved if the had brought Jake Bean in for a 2nd rnd pick. Oh well.
Yeah, would have done preferred that over Zadorov for a third with the Gubrandson singing
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #109
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I'll preface this that I do not like the signing overall, but Gudbranson has an excellent reputation in the room. I realize that's the type of intangible that can drive folks nuts, but if you believe this group needed a bit of a culture change, and needed to replace some of the leadership that Gio provided - that could have been a factor

For sure it is. Outside of Tanev we have a super young d core with not a ton of experience around the league.

I feel like I’m in the significant minority but I have no problem with the Gudbranson signing, aside from what feels like a short term overpay but not fussed.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #110
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

What was that Scotty Bowman quote? "If he's good in the room, leave him there"

No idea if Scotty actually said that but I get the gist of it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote