Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #1
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default US police kills twice as many people as reported

Since police violence in the US was a major topic of discussion on this forum too, I think it's worth mentioning that a new study makes the (frankly extremely unsurprising) finding that the real situation is probably twice as bad as reported.

Link to NYT:

Quote:
Police killings in America have been undercounted by more than half over the past four decades, according to a new study that raises pointed questions about racial bias among medical examiners and highlights the lack of reliable national record keeping on what has become a major public health and civil rights issue.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm continuously amazed at how regularly Americans like to criticize other countries and their internal politics and systems while at home their country has much to fix.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'm continuously amazed at how regularly Americans like to criticize other countries and their internal politics and systems while at home their country has much to fix.
Pretty common ploy by leaders and media to bring up foreigners as a distraction from local issues.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It says "over the past four decades" - has this improved to a point where at least current counts are more or less accurate?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #5
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Global Peace Index score for the USA places them 117th out of 161 countries, sandwiched between Saudi Arabia and Armenia.

They have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

Proportion of children living in poverty is 21.2%, third highest among OECD countries.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Global Peace Index score for the USA places them 117th out of 161 countries, sandwiched between Saudi Arabia and Armenia.

They have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

Proportion of children living in poverty is 21.2%, third highest among OECD countries.
... None of which has anything to do with the thread topic.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When your police are this stupid, it's no wonder they kill more.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #8
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Militarized force doing militarized stuff, no surprise.

Sadly

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #9
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
?? It almost directly goes to the topic of this thread. A well educated, well fed society is not a criminalized society. A criminalized society is going to have more conflicts with law enforcement. If we're going to have this conversation getting into root causes is probably a good idea.

(that stuff plus all of the guns).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #10
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Many people saw this coming years ago when it became obvious that militarization of the police was a stark reality.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

well you cant do away with democracy without the necessary brutal internal security force.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #12
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Intentionally ironic?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:35 PM   #13
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
You don't think a police force that routinely kills its citizens has nothing to do with the relative peace of its own country?

Or that the same police that routinely arrests its own population at the highest rate in the world has any relation to it killing its own population?

I guess I should have explained it a bit more...

The USA is a mess and the police are continuing to jail its poorest citizens, their children then go on to be even poorer, and then the police just kill the others.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 10-13-2021 at 11:26 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #14
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/indig...fing-1.4500307

It's not that amazing.......
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #15
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
It says "over the past four decades" - has this improved to a point where at least current counts are more or less accurate?
I don't see the study suggesting that, or any reason why the situation would be improved.

If I was a guessing man, I'd guess the situation is likely worse with these deaths getting more attention.

...and since predators like to go for easy prey, even these new numbers probably don't include the people nobody misses.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #16
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
?? It almost directly goes to the topic of this thread. A well educated, well fed society is not a criminalized society. A criminalized society is going to have more conflicts with law enforcement. If we're going to have this conversation getting into root causes is probably a good idea.
Can you point to data that backs that up? As much as we like to mock it, the American education system is actually not that bad. It’s not up to Western European standards, but it’s middling by OECD standards, and better than a lot of countries that have much lower crime rates. If education is such a big factor, why doesn’t Turkey have crime like the U.S? I’m not clear about the relevance of being well fed either. America’s working class and poor are much more likely to be obese than undernourished.

The causes of crime are incredibly complex. Anyone pointing to simple explanations - especially when they fit an ideological narrative - is likely driven more by political motivation than facts.

The Trouble with crime statistics
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I don't see the study suggesting that, or any reason why the situation would be improved.
Just data collection in general is way, way better now than it used to be 20 years ago due to more things being input and stored electronically and in standardized format. I have the exact opposite intuition to you, I would guess that the vast majority of these "undercounts" happened early in the study period, but I'm just guessing.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #18
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Can you point to data that backs that up? As much as we like to mock it, the American education system is actually not that bad. It’s not up to Western European standards, but it’s middling by OECD standards, and better than a lot of countries that have much lower crime rates.
Wouldn't the U.S. numbers be boosted by the private institutions that are only accessible to the wealthy? I think if we looked strictly at public education, the U.S. would probably be much lower, and if you examined the areas of the U.S. with high crime rates, you would probably also find underfunded public schools.

The question would be whether the high crime rates are a result of said underfunding, or if the high crime rates drove money out of these areas.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #19
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just data collection in general is way, way better now than it used to be 20 years ago due to more things being input and stored electronically and in standardized format. I have the exact opposite intuition to you, I would guess that the vast majority of these "undercounts" happened early in the study period, but I'm just guessing.
That would be if this had anything to do with bad bookkeeping instead of racism and cover ups.

It's still routine in the US that medical examinations of deaths in custody are done by examiners who literally work at the same police station.

Almost as if nobody wanted to find anything.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #20
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The United States of America is a catastrophic #### hole unless you're rich, and then white. This, I think, we can all agree on.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post: