Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #241
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the talk of Giordano being replaced by Zadorov, misses the point entirely, IMO. It is growth from within.

Hanifin 24
Andersson 24
Zadorov 26
Valimaki 23
Kylington 24

It's all about the growth of these players, with a few vets around to help out. How much they grow, time will tell.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #242
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, the talk of Giordano being replaced by Zadorov, misses the point entirely, IMO. It is growth from within.

Hanifin 24
Andersson 24
Zadorov 26
Valimaki 23
Kylington 24

It's all about the growth of these players, with a few vets around to help out. How much they grow, time will tell.
“Play the kids!!!”

“Wait, not like that!”
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #243
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hanifin 24
Andersson 24
Zadorov 26
Valimaki 23
Kylington 24

And as much as I like Gio, he was not a good player half of last year and could well hit a wall this year. It’s not 2018-19 Gio being replaced. It’s 21-22 Gio, who is 38 years old.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:36 AM   #244
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I really don’t understand the D hate.

Rasmus was supposed to take #1 power play spot last year, and be a solid top 4 guy. Goes double for this year and I don’t doubt that he can do it.

Hanifin took a step last year and I don’t see any reason why he won’t take another this year. They have Tanev as the glue to hold them together.

They didn’t ‘replace Gio’ with the bottom pairing guys… they developed and promoted from within (Hanifin and Andersson), which is exactly what most Flames fans want. Or at least it’s posted about constantly. It’s what is supposed to happen.

“Can’t believe they replaced Gio with Gudbranson and Zadorov” is just more mindlessly negative bitching.
Here is our D's career highs in points:

Tanev - 20 points
Andersson - 22 points
Hanifin - 33 points
Zadorov - 20 points
Valimaki - 11 points
Gudbranson - 13 points
Kylington - 8 points

That's my concern. Not a single Dman that's shown the ability to produce offense at a high level in the NHL.

I think if you go back and look at true contenders and strong playoff teams, they always have at least one Dman that can produce offense from the back end, like 0.5 to 1.0 point per game type numbers.

Hopefully the 24 and unders find another level this season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #245
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Tanev - 20 points
Andersson - 22 points
Hanifin - 33 points
Zadorov - 20 points
Valimaki - 11 points
Gudbranson - 13 points
Kylington - 8 points

That's my concern. Not a single Dman that's shown the ability to produce offense at a high level in the NHL.

I think if you go back and look at true contenders and strong playoff teams, they always have at least one Dman that can produce offense from the back end, like 0.5 to 1.0 point per game type numbers.

Personally, I think it is likely that Hanifin hits that 0.5ppg mark. Andersson might rebound this year and I believe we should see some progression from Vali and Kylington. We will see though, I understand your point though- we definitely could struggle to produce offense from the backend if the above does not happen.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #246
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Tanev - 20 points
Andersson - 22 points
Hanifin - 33 points
Zadorov - 20 points
Valimaki - 11 points
Gudbranson - 13 points
Kylington - 8 points

Yup that’s all fine and I don’t disagree with any of it. Not my point.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #247
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year, the D combined for 97 points, which is a 142 point pace.

The stats posted above, would mean 127 points, if each player matched their career high.

What do you think they total this year?

I think it will be 130 -140
Old 10-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #248
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decent long discussion with Treliving on yesterday’s Bob McCown podcast for anyone that cares.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #249
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the things, I'm worried about, losing Gio specifically isn't one of them. They moved on from him at the right time. It would have been nice had they gotten something for him at the deadline but doesn't sound like they tried.

Now it's about whether the young D improve, Tanev plays close to last year and the new guys are competent. I would say TBD on all three fronts, just need more hits than misses.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #250
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Of all the things, I'm worried about, losing Gio specifically isn't one of them. They moved on from him at the right time. It would have been nice had they gotten something for him at the deadline but doesn't sound like they tried.

Now it's about whether the young D improve, Tanev plays close to last year and the new guys are competent. I would say TBD on all three fronts, just need more hits than misses.
The other concern to me is they didn't replace Giordano's "type" either.

That's hardly Calgary-centric as a few teams seemed to complete their rosters with lumbering players suggesting there just weren't many options.

But a very good Noah Hanifin, or a very good Rasmus Andersson may not have the offensive cache of Giordano even if they pop a bit.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #251
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The other concern to me is they didn't replace Giordano's "type" either.

That's hardly Calgary-centric as a few teams seemed to complete their rosters with lumbering players suggesting there just weren't many options.

But a very good Noah Hanifin, or a very good Rasmus Andersson may not have the offensive cache of Giordano even if they pop a bit.
Yeah fair enough. At his best, Gio was a catalyst for offense. That was true even early in his career.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #252
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano had a whopping 5 more points than Andersson last year (they had almost identical TOI, both even strength and PP)
Old 10-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #253
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tanev - 20 points
Andersson - 22 points
Hanifin - 33 points
Zadorov - 20 points
Valimaki - 11 points
Gudbranson - 13 points
Kylington - 8 points

Gio is probably a 30 point player these days too though
Old 10-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #254
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Exactly. People acting like we somehow didn't replace "prime Gio." Well, we didn't lose "prime Gio." We lost "in his 40s and now just an averagely-decent Gio," which will be replaced by Hanifin or Andersson.

Does it suck that we no longer have a "prime Gio?" For sure, but we've been without one of those for a couple years already.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #255
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 thing to consider is that I think without fans last year it really affected Tkachuk and Andersson. Even if they are booed it motivates them more.

Well it better because both were hot garbage last year!
Old 10-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #256
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last year, the D combined for 97 points, which is a 142 point pace.

The stats posted above, would mean 127 points, if each player matched their career high.

What do you think they total this year?

I think it will be 130 -140
Probably pretty accurate. Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki and Kylington have upward mobility production-wise. I guess the real question is what production does Sutter hockey require out of D?

ETA: Andersson’s career high is 22 but had 21 in 56 games last year. Only 5 off of Gio’s total.

Last edited by GioforPM; 10-13-2021 at 11:11 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #257
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Exactly. People acting like we somehow didn't replace "prime Gio." Well, we didn't lose "prime Gio." We lost "in his 40s and now just an averagely-decent Gio," which will be replaced by Hanifin or Andersson.

Does it suck that we no longer have a "prime Gio?" For sure, but we've been without one of those for a couple years already.
Well I guess the Crack didn't watch any Flames games from the past 2 years as they had Gio on the point on the 4 on 3 PP last night. Just bad.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #258
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Giordano had a whopping 5 more points than Andersson last year (they had almost identical TOI, both even strength and PP)
Totally agree.

I don't see this year's Gio as being the Gio from two or three years ago.

But they didn't have '19/'20 Gio last year and it hurt them. Now they've lost even that ('20/'21) Gio and haven't replaced that.

Over the past two covid seasons Giordano was 0.89 Pts/60, Hanifin is 0.73, Andersson is 0.69.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #259
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Seen it all summer. With or without the draft we already lost Norris Gio, and yes that is incredibly hard to replace but it was happening regardless.

I don't think anyone thinks we are going to have Norris contender on defense this year. But at the same time we have enough skill to make up for it. Andersson on the powerplay is probably the biggest question.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #260
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Seen it all summer. With or without the draft we already lost Norris Gio, and yes that is incredibly hard to replace but it was happening regardless.

I don't think anyone thinks we are going to have Norris contender on defense this year. But at the same time we have enough skill to make up for it. Andersson on the powerplay is probably the biggest question.
Yup Andersson and Hanifin are the keys. One has to step up and lead the offense. Opportunities are there.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote