Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-24-2021, 04:41 PM   #201
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parsons is a bust simply because he is not on the ice with his team right now and has instead chosen down an anti Vax path (Allegedly or assumedly).

I feel for the guy he's had some pretty serious obstacles to overcome with 8njuries and his mental health, that could be salvaged if he showed up. He hasn't. Will he catch on elsewhere? Maybe but I don't see where or any time soon.

As a fan of what he had shown on the ice when he was playing , it's a bit disappointing he's added another hurdle to jump.

Who knows, maybe there a valid reason he's not vaccinating for covid. But at the end of the day he's just slipping further away and into obscurity.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #202
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
A good litmus test is what an educated non flames fan would think. Doubt there’s one with excitement over Parsons professional future

Or any that are bullish on our D core this season

If there are I’m very willing to look at their logic as to how they arrive there, but “goalies develop different” isn’t enough to sway me when I don’t see any positive development happening whatsoever
Didn't even say anything about Parsons.
I was commenting about statements like this:

"Liking some prospects/trades/picks and disliking some isn’t being negative it’s just being objective"

I mean that doesn't even make sense.

Don't pretend your opinions are worth more because they are generally negative or because of what other fans think.

It's ALL opinion. It's ALL subjective.

But you know what - if you predict that a prospect will bust more often than not you will be right. And if you predict the Flames won't win the cup - you will probably be right.

So be right as much as you want if that's your thing.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #203
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Parsons is a bust simply because he is not on the ice with his team right now and has instead chosen down an anti Vax path (Allegedly or assumedly).

I feel for the guy he's had some pretty serious obstacles to overcome with 8njuries and his mental health, that could be salvaged if he showed up. He hasn't. Will he catch on elsewhere? Maybe but I don't see where or any time soon.

As a fan of what he had shown on the ice when he was playing , it's a bit disappointing he's added another hurdle to jump.

Who knows, maybe there a valid reason he's not vaccinating for covid. But at the end of the day he's just slipping further away and into obscurity.
Valuable words that come to mind:

You have to participate in your own rescue.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #204
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Didn't even say anything about Parsons.
I was commenting about statements like this:

"Liking some prospects/trades/picks and disliking some isn’t being negative it’s just being objective"

I mean that doesn't even make sense.

Don't pretend your opinions are worth more because they are generally negative or because of what other fans think.

It's ALL opinion. It's ALL subjective.

But you know what - if you predict that a prospect will bust more often than not you will be right. And if you predict the Flames won't win the cup - you will probably be right.

So be right as much as you want if that's your thing.
I guess it’s more appropriate to say I TRY to be objective, obviously no one on a fan forum is

But even with my full blown homer glasses on theres just no logical way I can arrive at not calling him a bust. It’s not even a prediction at this point, he’s our ECHL goalie who is missing training camp for anti-vaxx beliefs, his development has turned into a run out the clock scenario for the franchise
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #205
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez, I get trying to be optimistic because goalies are voodoo, but Neo has it right. Parsons is fully into bust territory unless there's a miracle turnaround.

I know that defense and quality of play is different in the lower leagues but here are the numbers for him since turning pro. He's now 24 years old and time to impress is running out:

AHL: 28 games, GAA of roughly 3.92, Sv% of roughly .875

ECHL: 53 games, GAA of roughly 3.09, Sv% of roughly .907.......in the ECHL

Let's cut the bull#### already. He's not going to be an NHLer. He may get a cup of coffee somewhere, but that's about it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #206
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Geez, I get trying to be optimistic because goalies are voodoo, but Neo has it right. Parsons is fully into bust territory unless there's a miracle turnaround.

I know that defense and quality of play is different in the lower leagues but here are the numbers for him since turning pro. He's now 24 years old and time to impress is running out:

AHL: 28 games, GAA of roughly 3.92, Sv% of roughly .875

ECHL: 53 games, GAA of roughly 3.09, Sv% of roughly .907.......in the ECHL

Let's cut the bull#### already. He's not going to be an NHLer. He may get a cup of coffee somewhere, but that's about it.
While you are definitely right about Parsons, I think this conversation got off the rails (weird). The original comment was in regards to someone saying Parsons has been a bust for years… I disagree with that. I think last year is probably the first year I would’ve said his chances at making the NHL were close to zero.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:44 PM   #207
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I guess it’s more appropriate to say I TRY to be objective, obviously no one on a fan forum is

But even with my full blown homer glasses on theres just no logical way I can arrive at not calling him a bust. It’s not even a prediction at this point, he’s our ECHL goalie who is missing training camp for anti-vaxx beliefs, his development has turned into a run out the clock scenario for the franchise
I don't like the term bust for various reasons, but I would agree that the chances of him becoming an NHL goalie have been going down each year, including due to lack of consistent playing time. Which makes him not playing because he doesn't want to get vaccinated even harder to understand.
I don't recall where I voted for him in the prospect ranking, but I wouldn't disagree that he's a long shot at this point. And the organization continues to bring in other goalies, so in the game of musical chairs, he may be the one left standing.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #208
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wasn't Parson also signed to meet the entry draft requirements?
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #209
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was he in the prospect ratings this year?
Old 09-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #210
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 09-24-2021, 10:30 PM   #211
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone defines bust differently but a second round pick who has been a way below average AHLer qualifies for me. Lots of reasons for it and it is no judgment of him. It was a bust of a draft pick.

Hopefully he is able to get a cup of coffee this year in a pro league somewhere. I’d be surprised if it’s the AHL. Odds of him playing in the NHL have turned extremely remote unfortunately.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #212
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Easy way to think about prospects busting is not to think in absolutes. Of course anyone can defy the odds and rise from the ashes. We've seen it enough. Rather a prospect is a bust when he can simply be replaced by any free agent or on waivers guy of a similar age and there's no difference.

That's where Parsons is now. Sign him or some other guy like him. Who cares? Dime a dozen.

That was before he supposedly voluntarily missed camp. Think about that. Take all the emotion out of it. Vaccine, no vaccine, it's not what it's about. A player not showing up to camp voluntarily without an emergency circumstance is quitting. No other way to see that lack of commitment.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:32 AM   #213
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t seen Parsons as a future NHLer for a couple of seasons now. Doesn’t bother me though. as we’ll have a younger backup on the big team, and we have some good prospects in goal coming down the pipeline-like Werner, Wolf,and Chechelev.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:51 AM   #214
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Werner is older than Parsons by 4 months. How is he a prospect and Parsons a bust?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:59 AM   #215
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Werner is older than Parsons by 4 months. How is he a prospect and Parsons a bust?
Mostly growth. Parsons has not shown much development and growth since being drafted. The many holes in his game have not shown improvement and he’s stagnated. He was a an interesting because of his athleticism, but the rest of his game was not that great. His fundamentals were a weakness as was his hyper aggressive style of play. It was highly effective in junior hockey, but not in the pros. His skill level just never translated, which happens. Some players just hit their highest point in junior and never grow beyond that. Parsons was one of those players.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 06:00 AM   #216
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't say that Werner is a great prospect, but he's at least been ok in the AHL. Parsons has either been hurt or bad since he's been in the system.

Parsons could turn it around. But this vaccine stuff isn't going to do him any favours as a borderline prospect.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #217
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Werner is graduating from a prospect to a journeyman
Parsons is graduating from a prospect to a bust

This is their confirmation year

Btw, Few weeks ago I was attacked for saying Parsons is heading to bustville but now because of the vaccine, plenty of people are agreeing. Vaccine is a powerful thing.

PS: I am not antivax.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #218
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

Btw, Few weeks ago I was attacked for saying Parsons is heading to bustville but now because of the vaccine, plenty of people are agreeing. Vaccine is a powerful thing.

I think it’s less about the vaccine and more about forgoing training camp and meaningful time in the AHL (let alone NHL). The vaccine is just the reason why he won’t get those things, but those are what make the difference.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #219
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

You were attacked? If you can’t handle disagreements then you need to work on that as much as Parsons needs to put in work against pros. Which he is now forgoing, willingly.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #220
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Given that Parsons is less likely to develop in to something, are we allowed to talk about Flames goalie development in general?

Or will we point at Rittich who played in Europe then had just over a season in Stockton as proof that there is no concern
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote