Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #741
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You all prefer picking up/selling at a public place for small items?

I passed on something this weekend because they wanted to meet at a mall. I'm not standing in a parking lot looking for someone, half the time they screw up the description of the meeting spot or are late.

Address, knock on door, done.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #742
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I recall a few years back hearing of some weird fetish where people would purposely be visible as some reflection on something in the for-sale item photo... either being nekid or something bizarre. For example reflections in silverware, or mirrors, or ?? Gotta figure that takes some planning, execution, uploading, and then I dunno is the thrill the waiting for acknowledgement when somebody spots it and calls it out??
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #743
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
You all prefer picking up/selling at a public place for small items?

I passed on something this weekend because they wanted to meet at a mall. I'm not standing in a parking lot looking for someone, half the time they screw up the description of the meeting spot or are late.

Address, knock on door, done.
I've done it before, depends on how sketchy it seems. If it's via facebook if it's a normal looking profile, I'll be ok with giving my address. If the profile is empty or otherwise weird I'll maybe ask to meet somewhere. Harder to determine that on Kijiji.

If it's a high value item I'll meet in a bank parking lot. I've also been told the police will let you use a room to do such transactions (never tried this, was told by someone who buys/sells expensive watches).
Old 09-20-2021, 09:29 PM   #744
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will avoid at any cost to meet people on Kijiji / Facebook Marketplace at my home. Why do you want random weirdos know about where you live?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 09:46 PM   #745
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I will avoid at any cost to meet people on Kijiji / Facebook Marketplace at my home. Why do you want random weirdos know about where you live?
I think this is pretty overblown. 99% of my kijiji transactions these days are at my place or picking up at theirs. I've done probably over a hundred interactions and all have been normal people just looking to pick up or buy the item.

Like they know where you live? Okay, so they saw your entrance or you saw theirs, what does that mean compared to every place around you or them even if they were a thief or weirdo? You still lock your door like every other neighbour, and they know nothing about you besides that you had a thing for sale.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-20-2021 at 11:02 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #746
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a PS5 off Kijiji, met at the mall and all was fine. Sold my PS4 after and went to the guy's house so he could see it working. I didn't die either time.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #747
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, without stats in front of me I feel like saying house meetings on kijiji are dangerous is similar to people being scared to walk down public streets because a mugger could confront them. Sure, it could happen.

But the chances that a nefarious person is buying or selling with you to...I don't know, find out where you live and then care more about you and your house than any other one in the city is unfounded relative to any other random crime you could be a victim of.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #748
jayswin

Exp:

I guess that could change if you were selling a $1000-$5000k item out of your house. I've never sold anything super expensive personally.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:25 PM   #749
jayswin

Exp:

I mean I actually checked out a 65" $2000 OLED TV at a guy's house that concluded with him saying he couldn't sell it to me Friday (when I got paid) because him and his family were leaving the next morning for a two week vacation, but could meet as soon as he was back.

It was me, so he was fine, but personally I wouldn't have said I was going on vacation in that kijiji scenario.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #750
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think this is pretty overblown. 99% of my kijiji transactions these days are at my place or picking up at theirs. I've done probably over a hundred interactions and all have been normal people just looking to pick up or buy the item.

Like they know where you live? Okay, so they saw your entrance or you saw there's, what does that mean compared to every place around you or them even if they were a thief or weirdo? You still lock your door like every other neighbour, and they know nothing about you besides that you had a thing for sale.
I always assume the person is trying to rip me off if they want to meet in public. Like they have a reason to not want the buyer to know where they live
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #751
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Even if they did know where you live how is that in any way beneficial to them? If anything, if they wanted to do something would make it much harder to get away with.

Why wouldn't they just pick a random house?
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #752
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is it that you're selling? Because personally I don't think the people who bought my kids outgrown snowsuit were much of a risk. I mean, I guess maybe they could come back and try and steal the next size up or something?

If you are running a business selling gold bullion or high end watches out of your home, sure, you may not want people to have your address. But for the average <$200 item that seems very not risky to me.

I usually just leave stuff on the step and say to etransfer me or put the cash in my mailbox.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #753
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Even if they did know where you live how is that in any way beneficial to them? If anything, if they wanted to do something would make it much harder to get away with.

Why wouldn't they just pick a random house?
They can look around and see what you've got, what your security is, if you have dogs, etc. I can see why people would be reluctant. I have done it both ways.

I've also bought stuff from women from time to time and I didn't blame them for wanting a public meet.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #754
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They can look around and see what you've got, what your security is, if you have dogs, etc. I can see why people would be reluctant. I have done it both ways.

I've also bought stuff from women from time to time and I didn't blame them for wanting a public meet.
Leaving the item on your porch with an envelope for the cash (or taking e-transfer) solves every one of these issues.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #755
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

A “Rottweiler Lovers” door mat does the trick.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #756
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Leaving the item on your porch with an envelope for the cash (or taking e-transfer) solves every one of these issues.

I've bought/sold a lot of small items using this method, no one has been dishonest and it's really convenient.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #757
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
We pretty much exclusively do this now, even when we are home. Its very convenient. No need to wait around and rely on people to show up when they say they will.

If you want it, take it and leave $.
If you don't want it, just leave it there.

Its kind of a thrill looking out the window, seeing the item gone then checking under the doormat or mailbox for the cash. Never been ripped off and we have done dozens of transactions (<$100) this way.

Last edited by dubc80; 09-24-2021 at 10:39 AM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #758
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trying to sell a few things and noticed a few people listed as "kjjjjj user" instead of "Kijiji user". Is something shady going on here?

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #759
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I always assume the person is trying to rip me off if they want to meet in public. Like they have a reason to not want the buyer to know where they live
For some of the women I know (my wife included) it's not that they're worried so much of someone knowing where they live but trying to avoid sexual assault. Unwanted situations have happened in their lives often enough that they try and reduce the risk as much as possible.

you may be a good person, but they don't know that.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #760
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Holy hell? Are you kidding me? That's wild and crazy.

####, even Kijiji itself and the Calgary Police tell you outright NOT to meet at your home but rather a public place.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...violent-thefts

https://help.kijiji.ca/helpdesk/basi...at-the-meet-up
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote