Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #541
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It's kinda common sense not to kick a guy in the balls with 10 cameras on you.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #542
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps are so thin on talent they can’t afford to cut a guy like Rose. I just can’t get over the lack of talent and depth. I never thought I would see the day Huff would put together an expansion quality roster like this.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:03 PM   #543
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Stamps are so thin on talent they can’t afford to cut a guy like Rose. I just can’t get over the lack of talent and depth. I never thought I would see the day Huff would put together an expansion quality roster like this.
Meh. Given the lack of workouts and tryouts that scouts can attend in the past 18 months (and some scouts couldn't travel) a lot of the avenues that Huff found those depth players in the US and Canada, that process just wasn't available.

With the fairly high turnover season to season anyways, then add on players that did play in the league and on the team before shutdown, missed an entire season and then have fallen off or didn't stay sharp (including BLM) or in shape this season, and they are where they are.

All teams have this issue, so it's not Huff specifc, but what he and his scouts did better then any team the last years in finding talent was wiped out by the restrictions and limitations brought on by the pandemic.

And if BLM was even 90% of the QB he was pre pandemic, this team is 3-4 or better.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #544
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I see the love child of Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowell is starting for the Elks tonight.

Bombers should roll them.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #545
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bo Levi can still be a very good QB, if not elite, if he has quality talent around him.

Take that away and he seems very average at best. Not dangerous with his legs or his arm right now, or all season.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #546
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Football is a sport you need to play to get better at.

Bo had a lost season and now a broken fibula. He missed all of training camp.

The lack of talent doesn’t help, but what he needs to do more than anything is play.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:29 PM   #547
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little surprised than a rookie Edmonton QB is wearing #15 - Would have thought Ricky Ray's jersey was destined to be retired.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:57 PM   #548
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glen Suitor gushed over this Cornelius kid all night.

1 td 4 ints.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:14 AM   #549
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I think Bo Levi can still be a very good QB, if not elite, if he has quality talent around him.

Take that away and he seems very average at best. Not dangerous with his legs or his arm right now, or all season.
Can the Stamps release Mitchell? Is that contract guaranteed?
Not saying they will just wondering, Maier made it look pretty easy in that last 9-9 touchdown drive.

Last edited by Yoho; 09-19-2021 at 04:18 AM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #550
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Can the Stamps release Mitchell? Is that contract guaranteed?
Not saying they will just wondering, Maier made it look pretty easy in that last 9-9 touchdown drive.
That Maier drive was against a prevent defense.

In fairness to Bo, he hasn't been getting any help out there. Receivers dropping passes, Oline protection subpar, RB threat underwhelming, sometimes receivers letting the ball bounce off their hands and into the hands of the opposing team. That being said, his accuracy and decision making hasn't been all that great either. When you're the 2nd highest paid player in the league and the face of the franchise, you have to play better than what we've seen from him this year. Time is short - if this season is going to be saved, every player on that offense is going to need to find his A game and fast - that includes Bo.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #551
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, as a lifelong bombers fan, it is fun watching this team. I thought they were going to roll the elks last night, but hey got greedy and went for it.

They still took the elks to the woodshed though.

This teams d-fence reminds me of the powerhouse d-fence they had in the early 90’s
Old 09-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #552
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Man, as a lifelong bombers fan, it is fun watching this team. I thought they were going to roll the elks last night, but hey got greedy and went for it.

They still took the elks to the woodshed though.

This teams d-fence reminds me of the powerhouse d-fence they had in the early 90’s
They're finding ways to win and that's what good teams do.

I also think they have stability at key positions, including QB. I personally thought Collaros was done but he's proving me (and others wrong). Something to keep in mind about when looking at the Stampeders current QB situation.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #553
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya Bombers are the class of the CFL.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #554
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t help but think that a season off likely help zac really heal and rest his brain.

I find it funny how the back up about is the league’s leading scorer
Old 09-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #555
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple of signings by the Stamps including a new receiver...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1439635502592782341
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #556
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To be honest, I haven't been all that happy with the quality of the CFL this year. Its just a lot of sub par football so far.

The Bombers are outright the favorite in this league, they're a level above anywhere else.

In terms of the Stamps and Bo, the lengthy layoff and injuries have derailed him. But I think he has earned at least the right to try to work through this as well. I mean basically this team doesn't feel like its all that together. I don't think we have explosive backs to take the pressure off of the pass game, and the receivers for the most part don't do a great job of bailing out the quarterback, and the right side of the line looks really poor.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #557
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To be honest, I haven't been all that happy with the quality of the CFL this year. Its just a lot of sub par football so far.

The Bombers are outright the favorite in this league, they're a level above anywhere else.

In terms of the Stamps and Bo, the lengthy layoff and injuries have derailed him. But I think he has earned at least the right to try to work through this as well. I mean basically this team doesn't feel like its all that together. I don't think we have explosive backs to take the pressure off of the pass game, and the receivers for the most part don't do a great job of bailing out the quarterback, and the right side of the line looks really poor.
The games haven't been very good especially when you consider how good the NFL has been through two weeks. Maybe it's me but the offensive talent level looks down as teams are having issues scoring TD's. The QB's look pretty mediocre as a whole and there's few offensive players standing out other than maybe Whitehead. I'm sure missing a year has played a role in this as if the football is still bad next season then maybe there's something to worry about.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #558
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like the CFL is always a bit of a sloppy league due to the high year to year turnover, and generally a lack of talent at QB across the league.

But this year with the missed season, and with just the general uncertainty and inability to scout as much due to COVID it's even sloppier.

Not really surprising though, and really it's just nice they even had a season.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:36 PM   #559
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also imagine most CFL players were working other jobs last year, whereas a lot of NFL guys could either continue training, etc. The coaching salary cap in the CFL is factor too, especially this year.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #560
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I also imagine most CFL players were working other jobs last year, whereas a lot of NFL guys could either continue training, etc. The coaching salary cap in the CFL is factor too, especially this year.
The nfl guys weren’t just training, they played a season and the cfl didn’t. That missing year is huge.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: