Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default So I forgot my kid in the car last week...

Has this ever happened to anyone here?

I know I watched a true crime episode where a man forgot to drop off his kid to daycare on his way to work and the kid passed away after being in the car all day and he was charged and convicted.

Dropped my wife off at the dentist and had to make a stop at a store. Went in and they were making my order when I remembered and bolted out to grab my son. Thankfully it was only 5 minutes but it's a scary thought knowing I forgot he was with me. What if I wasn't going into a store and going to work? I probably wouldn't have remembered after 5 minutes because my mind would be so occupied.

Anyone else?
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll get a bedroom ready for my new foster kid, the social workers will be round in the morning
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thankfully? my kid was never quiet enough to forget he was there.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post

I know I watched a true crime episode where a man forgot to drop off his kid to daycare on his way to work and the kid passed away after being in the car all day and he was charged and convicted.

Dropped my wife off at the dentist and had to make a stop at a store. Went in and they were making my order when I remembered and bolted out to grab my son. Thankfully it was only 5 minutes but it's a scary thought knowing I forgot he was with me. What if I wasn't going into a store and going to work? I probably wouldn't have remembered after 5 minutes because my mind would be so occupied.

Anyone else?
I did it the very first time we had her in the car. Got to the store realized I forgot her in the car.

Some cars have really annoying beeping if it detects weight in the back seat. It usually happens when a routine changes like if your wife always has the kid and drops off at daycare and then one day you do your brain just autopilots to work. So some system of interrupting your routine would be needed.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m only 8 weeks into this and I almost poured the kettle water into my cereal today… I imagine I’ll only get more brain dead as time goes on. Don’t beat yourself up about it or anything.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve done the opposite before and forgot that I had dropped off my kid. I walked her up to daycare and on my way home, I saw man walking a puppy. I pointed and blurted out, “Aww, look at the cute little puppy!” The guy looked at me like I was insane and crossed the street.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-19-2021 at 03:38 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Anyone else?
ummm. no. not once. don't know how anyone could.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to hear that nothing happened to your son.

I read one that parents sometimes go on autopilot and that is how they forget thier kids. The state of mind is similar to when you are driving and you get home and don’t recall anything about the drive, stopping for red light etc.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing like that, but usually around when school starts up again after summer break, and I am shuttling the kids to their school / bus stop, I'll forget they're there and just auto-pilot towards work and then the kids will be like "dad, you have to drop us off!".
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #10
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Good to hear that nothing happened to your son.

I read one that parents sometimes go on autopilot and that is how they forget thier kids. The state of mind is similar to when you are driving and you get home and don’t recall anything about the drive, stopping for red light etc.
This happened to me once only on a larger scale, I was driving from Toronto to Calgary straight thru in order make a job interview, I gassed up in Brandon Manitoba and got pulled over for speeding thru Moose Jaw, the cop was pissed because he said it took 30 seconds of his siren to get me to pull over, I actually had to turn around to get gas back in Moose Jaw.

Scared the hell out of me
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #11
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Jay Ingram once in Calgary and he gave a talk about that phenomenon of driving and having no recollection of anything. it was pretty interesting. This is the only video I could find.

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:19 AM   #12
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, but I did drop my dog off at the vet, return many hours later to pick him up. I paid then walked out, got in my vehicle and drove 10mins away before realizing I had forgotten the dog
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:35 AM   #13
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I went through the drive thru at Wendy’s paid for my food, then drove off with nothing.... does that count? I got home and was like “ where the $&@? Is my food! “
I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I am Beast For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:50 AM   #14
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Beast View Post
I went through the drive thru at Wendy’s paid for my food, then drove off with nothing.... does that count? I got home and was like “ where the $&@? Is my food! “
I've also forgotten to drink my timmies after picking it up. Once I am done work and back into my vehicle I remember it is still unopened in cup holder. This has happened several times.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:37 AM   #15
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've also forgotten to drink my timmies after picking it up. Once I am done work and back into my vehicle I remember it is still unopened in cup holder. This has happened several times.
Blame the garbage coffee they have now, pick up a McDonalds coffee and it smells thru the cup kind of like Tims use to do.

Tim Hortons dropping Mother Parker's coffee was a big loss and McDonalds gain.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #16
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Blame the garbage coffee they have now, pick up a McDonalds coffee and it smells thru the cup kind of like Tims use to do.

Tim Hortons dropping Mother Parker's coffee was a big loss and McDonalds gain.
I don't drink coffee but I hear McDonald's coffee is much better.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:31 AM   #17
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't missing parenting infants. Between the lack of sleep, crying, and general state of stress/fatigue, it took 10 years off my life, I'm sure.

Godspeed fellas.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #18
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might be a shock to realize you forgot your kid was in the car. Forgetting about a baby in the car when you go to work is a scary thought.

But as long as your vehicle isn’t very hot or very cold, leaving a child in a car seat for 5 minutes when you run into a store isn’t doing them any harm.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 07:56 AM   #19
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel so bad when I read those stories, because I can totally see it happening. My kids are 13 and 15 now, so I think we're good, but man, I remember every day sitting down at my desk and going through my head that I really did drop them off. I remember a couple time going back to my car to make sure I really did drop them off. The closest I ever came was missing the turn a couple times and realizing a few blocks late. Also, living in a place where they'd die pretty quickly on a summer day makes it even more terrifying.

I remember some of those early weeks where one or the other was up literally every hour of the night for weeks in a row, and add in something like a boss calling and saying he needs to talk to you when you get in, and I could totally see being on autopilot especially with a sleeping baby in a rear facing child seat.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #20
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't drink coffee but I hear McDonald's coffee is much better.
Their everything is better
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: