Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #5141
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Or you hold.

You let some value come back from rock bottom.

I think it very likely that Tkachuk and Gaudreau bounce back on a line with Lindholm.

And if Monahan's surgery went well maybe he'll take a step back towards a healthier stat line this season.

Then you readdress it next summer.

I still think that the time to overhaul this roster is next summer, so if the team cannot make a good move then they are choosing ride it out.

With all the contracts expiring after this season if they fall on their face this year then you have a fire sale at the trade deadline. If they are a strong team then you hold steady and see how they do [risking that the players walk in the summer and as a result have a rebuild forced upon them].

It seems to me that a retool or rebuild is on the horizon next year just due to contract obligations.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #5142
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
At least we finally have a real coach and a real goal tender. No more what if’s or what could be. This season is going to be great one way or another. Either they succeed or it’s time for a rebuild. I can realistically see us finishing first or second in our division, or 5th/6th just as easy.
This is how I feel as well. The coach and goalie situation really clouded the potential of the team for the last several years. Now we have a great coach and a great goalie - time to put up or shut up. Either they become a legit playoff team, or they should launch the rebuild.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #5143
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This is how I feel as well. The coach and goalie situation really clouded the potential of the team for the last several years. Now we have a great coach and a great goalie - time to put up or shut up. Either they become a legit playoff team, or they should launch the rebuild.
Yeah Treliving has never really been able to figure the timing out.

Built a fairly complete roster, but had bottom of the barrel goaltending or bottom of the barrel coaching (or both). Now that he has goaltending and coaching sorted, he no longer has a #1 defenceman and his marquee centre has stumbled due to injuries/development issues thanks to his poor coaching hires prior to Darryl.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #5144
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Apparently Mike Futa was hired by the Hurricanes so there goes that option

https://twitter.com/user/status/1438231609061355520
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #5145
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the kind of job Darryl had with Anaheim. I'd imagine he could leave for a real GM job were it to become available.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #5146
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah Treliving has never really been able to figure the timing out.

Built a fairly complete roster, but had bottom of the barrel goaltending or bottom of the barrel coaching (or both). Now that he has goaltending and coaching sorted, he no longer has a #1 defenceman and his marquee centre has stumbled due to injuries/development issues thanks to his poor coaching hires prior to Darryl.
This is why you hire experience from the beginning. Bet Tre has a whole different mindset now that he has been hanging around Darryl. Wish we had hired a quality coach from the beginning.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:30 AM   #5147
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remember how last spring the argument was that the Flames are surely going to move one of their Big 3 this off-season and since new GM would take time to evaluate his roster, keeping Treliving is the only way to ensure a much-needed core-shaking move is made. That didn't age well
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 07:01 AM   #5148
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
I still think that the time to overhaul this roster is next summer, so if the team cannot make a good move then they are choosing ride it out.

With all the contracts expiring after this season if they fall on their face this year then you have a fire sale at the trade deadline. If they are a strong team then you hold steady and see how they do [risking that the players walk in the summer and as a result have a rebuild forced upon them].

It seems to me that a retool or rebuild is on the horizon next year just due to contract obligations.
You have to figure out the Gaudreau and Tkachuk contracts and you should have an idea as to what Monahan is at that point. I think next offseason will be a pretty tricky one.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 07:03 AM   #5149
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Sounds like the kind of job Darryl had with Anaheim. I'd imagine he could leave for a real GM job were it to become available.
My gut feeling is that this is Sutter’s last kick at the can.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #5150
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post

That was his brother who beat up the garbage can

You think Darryl is here to finish the job?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #5151
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Or you hold.

You let some value come back from rock bottom.

I think it very likely that Tkachuk and Gaudreau bounce back on a line with Lindholm.

And if Monahan's surgery went well maybe he'll take a step back towards a healthier stat line this season.

Then you readdress it next summer.
Not all players rebound, and value declines in stages. Some of the shrewdest deals GMs make is when they get some value for a declining player before his value declines even further.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #5152
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Not all players rebound, and value declines in stages. Some of the shrewdest deals GMs make is when they get some value for a declining player before his value declines even further.
For sure. And I would say that this organization has been guilty of hanging on to some players too long. But I think in the case of Tkachuk and Monahan I think Tkachuk you can be confident will be rebound. The contract situation looms though. Monahan is the wild card, but one hopes the hip issue was a big factor in his performance last year. I don't think he gets back to his peak, but if he can get back to being a 30 goal man, that has value.

Johnny I would have traded a couple years ago to maximize the return, but that's not a view shared by many.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #5153
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Only because he’s getting older and may not want to go any further away from Viking than Calgary.

Darryl is the master of his own destiny.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:30 AM   #5154
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
That was his brother who beat up the garbage can

You think Darryl is here to finish the job?
This team could use that. So yes.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #5155
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
I mean Treliving has delivered absolutely nothing. If you have a different view of the sky not being blue, it doesn't make sense. Same as still defending Treliving, to me it makes no sense, it's not logical. You can add all sorts of caveats how he's had misfortunes with signings or been unlucky but every GM is in the same boat with that.

And by the way astroturfing is absolutely a thing. You can think it's silly to think it exists but it happens everywhere.

and here I thought Astroturfing was on a football field.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #5156
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is right.

You need to look at each club's situation. If the major forwards on the Flames rebound are they likely to be traded? Highly unlikely IMO for a few reasons.

Treliving has yet to make a major in season trade, doesn't seem to be his thing.
If they are having good seasons, history has shown this organization not interested in taking a step back.
There's always next off season but contract situation for Gaudreau and Tkachuk will have been decided by then. Monahan with a year left I suppose could be dealt.

If the club is having a dreadful season there is a chance of trading mid season or at deadline, but then you're really looking at pennies on the dollar. But the club will be out of other choices by then.

The ideal time to trade from this core group of forwards has really come and gone unfortunately.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #5157
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Just noticed that as time goes on, the poll has slipped below 50% who think Treliving should be fired, only 48.82%. Pretty sure it used to be over 50%

I wish I paid closer attention to how these super late mail in votes broke down. Mainly because it’d be kind of funny to see if it is really late votes going in to the undecided bucket
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:05 AM   #5158
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Totally agree.

GMs have to make a call both ways. Trade before they decline, trade for a player before he pops, and the same in contracts ... go one year if you think he'll decline, lock him down if you think he's going to pop.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #5159
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all, you're telling a professional trader how to trade.

But specific to this case, it is important to remember that, over the last couple years, these players were 25 or 26 years old, not 30-32. Yes, at 26, some go downhill and never recover. But betting on recovery at this age is far from outlandish.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #5160
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Apparently Mike Futa was hired by the Hurricanes so there goes that option

https://twitter.com/user/status/1438231609061355520
Consultant role probably has out clauses in the event he's offered a GM job.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote