Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #2161
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've been pretty happy with my build so far, the only complaint I have is an intermittent fan noise issue. With the smaller PC and it sitting on my desk it's closer, so I can hear a fan spin up and whoosh for 15 seconds then stop every 5-10 minutes.

At first I thought it was the AIO but the AIO fans don't seem to go up and down associated with the speed. My CPU temp at idle does seem high (70 degrees) but I've got the AIO set to manage it by itself, and that's what it seems to target. If I set the fan profile manually I can get it to 62-65 with almost no increase in noise. Not sure if that matters for a 5900X.

My case fans are pretty cheap ones but there's 6 so I run them pretty slow only ramping up if the in-case temp goes up. Those don't seem to be it.

I forgot about the PSU fan though. It's an SFX-L power supply and the fan is pretty thin. Most of the time it's not even spinning, but when it kicks on it's quite whooshy, so it's driving me crazy. I've tried running with the panel by the PS off to see if it's an air source issue but doesn't seem to make much difference.

PWM fans on power supplies aren't a thing are they? Or power supplies that give you some ability to play with the fan? I'm sure if it was set to be constantly on at a low speed rather than stopped entirely but then coming on as the temperature increased it'd be quieter. Are there power supply brands that have that kind of thing? It being an SFX or SFX-L does limit my choices I guess though.

I guess the other option is to wait, the Lian Li 011D Mini case I have is coming out with a new version that'll take ATX power supplies. Or there's an air cooling focused normal sized 011D that should be available any time now.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #2162
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've been pretty happy with my build so far, the only complaint I have is an intermittent fan noise issue. With the smaller PC and it sitting on my desk it's closer, so I can hear a fan spin up and whoosh for 15 seconds then stop every 5-10 minutes.

At first I thought it was the AIO but the AIO fans don't seem to go up and down associated with the speed. My CPU temp at idle does seem high (70 degrees) but I've got the AIO set to manage it by itself, and that's what it seems to target. If I set the fan profile manually I can get it to 62-65 with almost no increase in noise. Not sure if that matters for a 5900X.

My case fans are pretty cheap ones but there's 6 so I run them pretty slow only ramping up if the in-case temp goes up. Those don't seem to be it.

I forgot about the PSU fan though. It's an SFX-L power supply and the fan is pretty thin. Most of the time it's not even spinning, but when it kicks on it's quite whooshy, so it's driving me crazy. I've tried running with the panel by the PS off to see if it's an air source issue but doesn't seem to make much difference.

PWM fans on power supplies aren't a thing are they? Or power supplies that give you some ability to play with the fan? I'm sure if it was set to be constantly on at a low speed rather than stopped entirely but then coming on as the temperature increased it'd be quieter. Are there power supply brands that have that kind of thing? It being an SFX or SFX-L does limit my choices I guess though.

I guess the other option is to wait, the Lian Li 011D Mini case I have is coming out with a new version that'll take ATX power supplies. Or there's an air cooling focused normal sized 011D that should be available any time now.
70C at idle seems high. What's the water temp in the AIO? What fans do you use? I swapped out the NZXT fans for Corsair ML Pros and they're much better.

Did you see the completely fanless build they did on LTT recently? It's probably overkill for most people but you sound like the person it's aimed at.

A lot of power supplies have fans that don't spin at all until it needs to cool down under load. I know my Corsair does. I don't know about SFX though.

It sounds dangerous to let the user control the fan on a PSU. It's not like it can throttle down to prevent overheating.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #2163
photon

Exp:

I have a Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Prisma
https://www.fractal-design.com/produ...us-s28-prisma/

Fans are the defaults. They are mounted to pull air through the radiator from outside the case rather than blow air through, and the 3 bottom 120's are set to pull into the case and the top 3 120's are set to push up/out. I have read that I might get a better performance if I set the AIO fans to blow out of the case (and maybe flip the top fans to pull in?).

And it seems to be more like 65, maybe my PC was doing something interesting this morning when I saw the 70.

https://i.imgur.com/lcWZroP.png

How could I find the water temp in the AIO? Or is that what the Aorus app there is telling me?

Lol yeah I JUST watched that build after last night, I would love that, seems pretty expensive though. But yeah I love a PC where the loudest thing is the hard drive, I'm too picky.

But I'd be happy with a just quieter power supply fan. Mine does turn off and on, but it must wait too long and then have to move more air, where if it turned on earlier it could get by with 1000rpm instead of 2000 (just guesses).

I think there's a few more options including a Seasonic (which I've always really liked) now, I might just have to try a few.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #2164
photon

Exp:

Oh and that fan curve is not used currently, it's set to Auto so the AIO decides what it does pump and fan RPM wise.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #2165
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I monitor my water temps through the NZXT CAM app. It's a resource hog but it works well I think.

I found better performance when I had my AIO fans pulling instead of pushing so I would try that. Couldn't hurt.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:51 PM   #2166
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just finished my build by adding my Alienware 38" monitor. First time I've had a higher than 60Hz monitor. And wow. So buttery smooth in Windows 10. Like just moving windows around is a delight in itself. I haven't seen it beneficial anywhere else yet but still super cool!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #2167
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I monitor my water temps through the NZXT CAM app. It's a resource hog but it works well I think.

I found better performance when I had my AIO fans pulling instead of pushing so I would try that. Couldn't hurt.
Random issue I've encountered with NZXT CAM app: it prevents me from running updates on my Valve Index. I've found some posts out there where people have encountered the same thing.

...so, ya know...if you happen to have an Index and are having problems, uninstall the NZXT CAM app.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #2168
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminder to self: throttle the crypto malware on photon's computer.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #2169
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Random issue I've encountered with NZXT CAM app: it prevents me from running updates on my Valve Index. I've found some posts out there where people have encountered the same thing.

...so, ya know...if you happen to have an Index and are having problems, uninstall the NZXT CAM app.
The app sucks, that's for sure. It's a resource hog too.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #2170
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Is there a known issue with Samba 1.0 crashing Windows 10? I know it's disabled by default but I was trying to transfer stuff from my Nvidia shield and that's the only version it supports. I've never had network transfer issues before.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #2171
photon

Exp:

Is there a way to monitor USB ports? Every so often my Sound Blaster X3 just flakes out. Mostly seems to happen in Microsoft Teams, or today in Blue Jeans on some training I'm doing. I have to unplug it and plug it back in and everything's fine again.

I'll also get randomly the USB disconnect/reconnect noise, or sometimes my RGB seems to act like it lost connection for a second.

I guess I could also try plugging it into a different set of USB ports? I wonder if the USB 3 has a different controller than the USB 2 ports...
Old 09-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #2172
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I had an issue with a DAC years ago and one suggestion was to make sure to use USB 2. I don't remember why. It's probably due to compatibility or something but it's worth a try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #2173
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I have a Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Prisma
https://www.fractal-design.com/produ...us-s28-prisma/

Fans are the defaults. They are mounted to pull air through the radiator from outside the case rather than blow air through, and the 3 bottom 120's are set to pull into the case and the top 3 120's are set to push up/out. I have read that I might get a better performance if I set the AIO fans to blow out of the case (and maybe flip the top fans to pull in?).

And it seems to be more like 65, maybe my PC was doing something interesting this morning when I saw the 70.

https://i.imgur.com/lcWZroP.png

How could I find the water temp in the AIO? Or is that what the Aorus app there is telling me?

Lol yeah I JUST watched that build after last night, I would love that, seems pretty expensive though. But yeah I love a PC where the loudest thing is the hard drive, I'm too picky.

But I'd be happy with a just quieter power supply fan. Mine does turn off and on, but it must wait too long and then have to move more air, where if it turned on earlier it could get by with 1000rpm instead of 2000 (just guesses).

I think there's a few more options including a Seasonic (which I've always really liked) now, I might just have to try a few.
Have you looked at EVGA power supplies? I have a 850P2 and it is dead silent. I have it on "eco" mode and I don't think I've ever heard it come on. I don't know if it ever comes on to be honest. It's been an amazing power supply and I've been really happy with the EVGA brand + customer service. I also had a GTX 1080 from EVGA.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #2174
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I need some monitor help! I am going to be building out my home office and trying to streamline my monitor set up.

Current office set up is 2x24" (720p) with a curved 32" up top. 32" is mostly for tracking deal workflow think Trello Boards. All current monitors are 1080 resolution.

I am looking to streamline things for the home office and have always been intrigued by the 49" ultrawides but the cost is staggering. I am not using the monitors for gaming document workflow and some light adobe after effects and a xlights which is a light propgraming software which makes the ultrawides appealing.

So do I go the route of an ultrawide and splurge on the 49" or do I go with a large 4k monitor that will allow me to screen split better.

Here are some examples

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...LC49HG90DMNXZA

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...LS43AM702UNXZA
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #2175
photon

Exp:

I still have a 27" monitor so I can't really comment on usability, but to me $1100 for a 49" isn't all that staggering in terms of cost/benefit IMO. Less than the price of a phone.

I've always been fine with putting more money into the things I use the most to get exactly what works best for me. If I use a monitor 7.5 hours a day 5 days a week (or more) I'm fine with spending more if there's a noticeable benefit.

Get em both, try it out, return the one that doesn't feel as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #2176
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I'll say is that is not a good price on the CHG90. I wouldn't buy it at all but definitely not for more than 800 bucks. If you're buying a 49" ultrawide especially for productivity you need something 1440p.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #2177
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone here run a 34” 1440? I am wondering how splitting screens looks I’m guessing 2 feels fine for work mode but 3 would get small. This MSI gets great reviews https://www.memoryexpress.com/Produc...RoCv8oQAvD_BwE
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #2178
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I use a 34" curved Phillips monitor and I quite like it. I still have one or two 27" monitors flanking it but it's my main monitor. I typically use one wide window and two smaller windows off to the side. Basically chat and email apps are smaller and the rest bigger. Great for spreadsheets etc. Win11 makes setting up windows quite nice now.

But I would go 38 to 49 if I could convince the boss to buy me one. The Phillips was like $500 so pretty good value and I do like it.

Last edited by Galakanokis; 09-28-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #2179
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Is there a known issue with Samba 1.0 crashing Windows 10? I know it's disabled by default but I was trying to transfer stuff from my Nvidia shield and that's the only version it supports. I've never had network transfer issues before.
Nevermind. Just good ol' bad RAM.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:39 PM   #2180
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

1440p 34" split screen is fine for me doing 3D art. I also have a 22" Cintiq that I will sometimes use as a second monitor when I'm not sculpting.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post: