Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #21
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh had it in the cart right away but won't let me check out. Keeps giving an error on the credit cart page.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:23 AM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Anyone able to order one? Can't get my payment deposit to go through.
Yeah, I reserved one (the $820 model) because for 5 bucks, whatever... if it turns out I'm later convinced this is a good thing and it turns into a PS5 situation where you can't get them I'll be fine. Otherwise I guess I'll either get a $5 refund or flip it to someone here who couldn't get a reservation to go through.

Hopefully they can get these things into the hands of the youtube reviewers like Hardware Unboxed relatively soon so they can tear it down and opine on the virtues and drawbacks, use cases, etc.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #23
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
How do you mean? I use a shield as a device plugged into my TV that is a hub for media and also upscales source video to 4k. It's pretty portable if I ever wanted to unplug it, which I don't.

Do you mean for games? I guess, but do you think the hardware on board this thing will be able to effectively play anything demanding at a decent frame rate on a big HD screen?
I think you could see people using it as a media and emulator hub, with the added ability of being able to play PC games on their TVs if they're not super-concerned with high-end graphics. Add on the ability to take it on flights, vacations, etc., and I can, definitely see the appeal.

I can't see myself getting one because I have my PC hooked up directly to my TV, but if I didn't already have a travel laptop, I'd probably consider it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #24
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

reddit is hyping the crap out of this, and what's interesting is in the emulator reddits they're suggesting the Steam Deck should be able to run Cemu (Wii U) quite well and it even meets the specs for Yuzu (Switch emulator). It would be hilarious if a specific Deck fork for Yuzu gets made that provides better performance than the Switch itself
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #25
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got through now and got a reservation in so that's good.

If you are getting the payment error the key is to chat with the support team. Once I messaged them it cleared up and went through right away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #26
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Store is now showing Q1 and Q2 2022.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #27
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Managed to get the one in the cart to go through. With the option install windows this machine might do everything. Steam, xbox game pass, emulators including newer systems, streaming with GFN and PSnow. Definitely looking forward to seeing the early reviews and whenthe dev community starts playing with it.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Store is now showing Q1 and Q2 2022.
It appears that the higher cost one ships later, which is kind of annoying. You'd think they'd try to get the fanciest one out first for a variety of reasons.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #29
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Got through now and got a reservation in so that's good.

If you are getting the payment error the key is to chat with the support team. Once I messaged them it cleared up and went through right away.

I got an order right away, but it wouldn't move off "pending" and I got an email that there was an error.

I'm trying to repurchase but now I'm getting the payment error. I've sent in a ticket - so thanks for the advice!
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:00 PM   #30
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It appears that the higher cost one ships later, which is kind of annoying. You'd think they'd try to get the fanciest one out first for a variety of reasons.
I think it's more a higher demand for the higher end models. They initially all started at December 2021, then as reservations filled, new reservations are getting further out shipping dates.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #31
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

At one point there was a way to look at what your place in line was and total orders.

I actually ordered the 512GB by accident due to the cart issues I was having and in the end I was ~44000 out of ~56000 on that model.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #32
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

this looks crazy good...

I am not a big mobile game fan, even though I still pick up my Vita occasionally still, but this is something that I will definitely consider.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #33
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

This both looks really good and would also be completely wasted on me. I enjoy its Game Gear-esque appearance though, pretty sure my old Sega Game Gear is still somewhere in my parents' house.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:17 PM   #34
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think it's more a higher demand for the higher end models. They initially all started at December 2021, then as reservations filled, new reservations are getting further out shipping dates.
Ah, I interpreted it as starting shipping dates rather than average expected date to receive the thing. I would assume that they want to send the best example of the product to reviewers (or at least send it concurrently with the cheapo version).
Old 07-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #35
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Q3 for the good model now.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #36
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Q3 for the good model now.
Can we take a moment to appreciate how Valve is handling these pre-orders?

They take an order and give you an estimated shipping date based on projected availability. This is what Sony and Microsoft should be doing through their official stores as well.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #37
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Can we take a moment to appreciate how Valve is handling these pre-orders?

They take an order and give you an estimated shipping date based on projected availability. This is what Sony and Microsoft should be doing through their official stores as well.
Not sure you can compare them too much though. We're talking selling tens of (maybe a few hundred) thousands items from a single source store to a restricted number of countries versus tens of millions of consoles being sold worldwide across hundreds of varied retail chains.

I guess in a decade or two when physical retail chains and stores are all crippled and dead, we would have single source stores for individual purchase that can be controlled in that manner across the world.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #38
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure you can compare them too much though. We're talking selling tens of (maybe a few hundred) thousands items from a single source store
I'm curious about this. I read something that said Valve expects to sell millions of them. I wonder how many reservations have been sold.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #39
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm curious about this. I read something that said Valve expects to sell millions of them. I wonder how many reservations have been sold.
I think Supermatt mentioned some numbers above and I saw this going around:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1416102630699454464

If true, we're talking about a fraction of console sales which would make sense given the chip shortage and likely not a huge production ramp up yet.

Millions in total down the road would be awesome though. I would love to get my hands on future iterations of these; hopefully a consistent new series (I worry about comparing against the deaths of the steam controller and steam machines)
Old 07-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #40
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was posted literally a month ago.