Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #14481
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
There isn’t a single RFA this summer worth the 4 1sts. There is also almost no way the Flamea carve out the cap space where they could offer a player a 10.3M cap hit so it is a moot point.

My argument to your analogy was comparing 22 year old RFA’s to a trade in another league where a team mortgaged the future for a bunch of 35 year old players. This is very different in my opinion as the Flames would be adding a potential decade+ piece to their lineup.

It is all fantasy talk anyway as the cap really limits their ability to pull it off
Agreed on fantasy talk. I only say it'd head towards that territory ($10.2+) because short of that, hard to imagine these teams not doing everything in their power to match.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #14482
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any teams that have a defenceman slot available to protect and would be interested in a Mark Giordano with 50% retained?

I’m surprised we don’t see more movement before the expansion draft.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #14483
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Any teams that have a defenceman slot available to protect and would be interested in a Mark Giordano with 50% retained?

And the Flames can afford to do that?

Unless they are going into full tear down mode, it’s not happening.

But many teams would be interested in Gio at 50%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #14484
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts on one of Andersson or Hanifin to the Devils for a redo on the Bennett pick at 4OA? No doubts it’s a gamble but it would allow us to protect Gio as well and there are UFA options at D this year to help lessen the blow of trading a top 4 D. Also with Valimaki, Kylington and Kinnvall in the mix we still have decent depth for the 5 through 7 spots on the the depth chart.

I’d be kicking tires on Arvidsson as well the dude is a gamer and is in need of a change of scenery but truly does have that 60 point ability he exhibited in back to backs a few years ago. RH shot right winger too and a Swede so he checks a ton of boxes for Calgary.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #14485
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts? It would be a dumb move. Trade away a defenseman who could be with your team for another five to ten years, just so you can protect a 38 year old who is grossly overpaid? But hey, you get a magic bean, so what could possibly go wrong?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #14486
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Thoughts on one of Andersson or Hanifin to the Devils for a redo on the Bennett pick at 4OA?.
You make it sound like the trade value of Anderson and Hanifin is, more or less, the same.

It’s not.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #14487
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the dream of signing Makar but I think the avs would move anything else short of Mackinnon to keep him. Signing him to an offer sheet would always result in a match.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #14488
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I love the dream of signing Makar but I think the avs would move anything else short of Mackinnon to keep him. Signing him to an offer sheet would always result in a match.
Yeah, and if it’s more than they wanted to pay, also good. They’ll have to shed salary and their middle six players are good.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #14489
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why on earth would anyone trade two extremely young top 4 d men just to keep a soon to retire because he's on hole 18 and not just on the back 9 D man with the cap hit he has? It's insanity. Makes zero sense. Like pack it in, send a post card to your loved ones from the looney bin they put you in.

Absurdity!!
Old 06-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #14490
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
And the Flames can afford to do that?

Unless they are going into full tear down mode, it’s not happening.

But many teams would be interested in Gio at 50%

So lose him for free instead? Or am I missing an option number 3 I don’t know about.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #14491
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Flames media team can make up a lovely Jumbotron Mark Giordano retrospective for when the Kraken come to town.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #14492
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thoughts on one of Andersson or Hanifin to the Devils for a redo on the Bennett pick at 4OA?
Why would the Devils do that? They would want out 1st plus one of those guys.

No thanks.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:50 PM   #14493
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Why on earth would anyone trade two extremely young top 4 d men just to keep a soon to retire because he's on hole 18 and not just on the back 9 D man with the cap hit he has? It's insanity. Makes zero sense. Like pack it in, send a post card to your loved ones from the looney bin they put you in.

Absurdity!!
Looked like the offer was ONE of those 2 Dmen for the 4th overall pick. I don’t agree with it but no where near as insane as you are implying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #14494
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So lose him for free instead? Or am I missing an option number 3 I don’t know about.
I'd rather lose him for free then pay 50% of his salary anyways. But we don't just lose him for free, it means some other player is not selected even if it is someone like Kylington.

But the teams looking at acquiring Giordano would need only 2 defensemen to protect but also be in a position to be good since they are acquiring a 38 year old to-be-UFA. That's not quite mutually exclusive, but it's getting there.

So even if the Flames find their unicorn, they enter the UFA period without Giordano and Kylington but with 50% of Giordano's cap-hit the team has limited ability to replace them with UFA defensemen? Doesn't seem great.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #14495
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
As long as the AAV is below 10.276M it's only 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third. So obviously you keep the offers below that. Sad to think that compensation is barely more than Treliving paid for Hamonic...
Probably as good a time as any to remind those that may have forgot, but AAV is calculated at a max of 5 years for compensation purposes. So if a team offers a 7-year offer sheet, the total value of the offer sheet is divided over 5 years to determine compensation. 10x7 becomes an AAV of 14 for compensation, so 4 firsts. 7.3x7 is the longest and highest you can go before it becomes 4 first round picks as compensation.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #14496
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Absurdity!!
I’ve been posting here a long time and quite frankly don’t appreciate absurd posts like this. Absurdity?? Give me a break, go ahead and disagree if you’d like but keep the cheap crap like the meat of that garbage reply to yourself.

Read the post as well… it’s one or the other not both.

Hanifin + our 1st for the 4th overall is a big stretch? Give me a break.

Kinda done for a bit cp. I’ll read but why bother posting anymore when the few reply’s I seem to get equate to the bull#### in the quote.

Peace
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #14497
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're going to lose someone for free no matter what, that's just how the expansion draft works. If you trade Gio, you're going to lose someone else... possibly even the person you got in return for Gio.

One of the reasons we don't really see a lot of those types of deals is because you need to not only get good value on the return for the trade, but also something to overcome the loss of whichever other player you'll lose in the expansion draft. That sort of deal doesn't really make sense for the other team because it's the definition of an overpayment.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #14498
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think many teams have a free D slot. Best Candidates are probably:

ARI
DET
LAK?
NJD
NYR?
OTT?
WAS

A lot of teams have 4+ guys they want to protect (or have to with NMC, like Yandle). CAR, NAS, COL, FLA, MIN, MTL, STL, TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Why would the Devils do that? They would want out 1st plus one of those guys.

No thanks.
Someone (Friedman?) mentioned the 4OA was available for a young d-man.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #14499
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve been posting here a long time and quite frankly don’t appreciate absurd posts like this. Absurdity?? Give me a break, go ahead and disagree if you’d like but keep the cheap crap like the meat of that garbage reply to yourself.

Kinda done for a bit cp. I’ll read but why bother posting anymore when the few reply’s I seem to get equate to the bull#### in the quote.

Peace
I don’t even think we’d have to add to Hanifin to get 4th OA.

I wouldn’t mind getting one of Power/Clarke/Benier/Guenther/Eklund/Hughes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #14500
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Peace

We appreciate your posts Heavy Jack, don't stop posting.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread