Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #481
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
There is no deserves to win in sports. There are winners and losers. The winners are the better team. That’s what happens when you win, you are proven to be the better team based on the rules of the competition.

Also, the goalie is part of the team. Vegas has better offence, Montreal has better goaltending. It all counts the same in my books.

The better team so far is up 2-1.
If you actually think Montreal is the better team you should put money on them because the odds are good.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #482
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
There is no deserves to win in sports. There are winners and losers. The winners are the better team. That’s what happens when you win, you are proven to be the better team based on the rules of the competition.

Also, the goalie is part of the team. Vegas has better offence, Montreal has better goaltending. It all counts the same in my books.

The better team so far is up 2-1.
Goalies are part of the team, but luck is not. Winning is about how good you are plus how lucky you are. You could be worse than the opposition but more lucky. There's a lot of randomness in hockey, as well, as in life in general.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #483
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This issue with runs like this, as well as Vancouver's last year, is that the "get in and anything can happen" school of thought will gain more traction.

It seems like there's a Cinderella team every other year if not even more often.

So it becomes a legitimate question.. with how frequent these runs are becoming, do teams in positions like the current Flames tear down and put all resources into building a contender or do you spend assets just to try to keep yourself above the playoff line as often as possible, even if you're in 8th seed/bubble territory?

Because with normal division alignment Montreal realistically might not even be in the playoffs with how poor they were in the second half. They put together an assortment of free agents with middling and still developing forwards and the group pulled this magic out of their rears. It makes you question a lot about what goes into being successful in today's league.

Goal prevention (look also at the wild), luck and opportunistic play is paying off more and more.

And I feel like if these rag tag Habs make the SCF, a lot of teams are going to put more emphasis on attaining or developing a top end goalie. More so than before.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #484
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its funny how things change...earlier in the year some Habs fans wanted to leave price unprotected to gain 10M cap space...had they lost one more game to Calgary they would probably be still thinking that way. Their GM might be fired too not up for awards...that one game where Calgary hit four posts, fine line.

Then factor in covid, they likely don't make the playoffs either year without it. Certainly not last season.

Last edited by dino7c; 06-19-2021 at 06:40 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #485
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t the Hans start the season with a 10 game winning streak.

Anyways, I guess their best player Is being their best player
Old 06-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #486
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Lol

Man gets away with murder after eyewitness turns out to be NHL referee

Quote:
MONTREAL – A homicide has gone unsolved after the eyewitness who was right there turned out to be an NHL referee, and therefore somehow missed the entire thing.

“He was standing right next to the victim when he got shot in the face,” said Constable Maurice Duhamel. “There was blood everywhere and people screaming. But he says he didn’t see a thing.”

“He also told me he didn’t want to ‘decide who wins at trial, especially during the playoffs’.
https://thebeaverton.com/2021/06/man...e-nhl-referee/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #487
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
This issue with runs like this, as well as Vancouver's last year, is that the "get in and anything can happen" school of thought will gain more traction.

It seems like there's a Cinderella team every other year if not even more often.

So it becomes a legitimate question.. with how frequent these runs are becoming, do teams in positions like the current Flames tear down and put all resources into building a contender or do you spend assets just to try to keep yourself above the playoff line as often as possible, even if you're in 8th seed/bubble territory?

Because with normal division alignment Montreal realistically might not even be in the playoffs with how poor they were in the second half. They put together an assortment of free agents with middling and still developing forwards and the group pulled this magic out of their rears. It makes you question a lot about what goes into being successful in today's league.

Goal prevention (look also at the wild), luck and opportunistic play is paying off more and more.

And I feel like if these rag tag Habs make the SCF, a lot of teams are going to put more emphasis on attaining or developing a top end goalie. More so than before.
Or a Top tier goalie coach like Burke or Korn. Probably the 2 best in the game.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #488
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Goalies are part of the team, but luck is not. Winning is about how good you are plus how lucky you are. You could be worse than the opposition but more lucky. There's a lot of randomness in hockey, as well, as in life in general.
And is MAF ever unlucky. He’s won his share due to his skill and being on great teams, but he is a lifetime gaffe machine.

Probably why he’s so underrated, in my opinion at least, for how good he’s been his entire career. He gaffed in front of the hockey world before his NHL career even began.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:12 AM   #489
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suzuki could have easily been called for diving in OT

might have something to do with the refs not wanting to call a penalty
Old 06-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #490
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
And is MAF ever unlucky. He’s won his share due to his skill and being on great teams, but he is a lifetime gaffe machine.

Probably why he’s so underrated, in my opinion at least, for how good he’s been his entire career. He gaffed in front of the hockey world before his NHL career even began.
I held a pretty big grudge against MAF for a long time because of that play.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #491
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1406637123713654789
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #492
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
Fleury will always be the kid who blew it at the juniors to me.
I'm sure Fleury isn't too worried about that one. What with his 3 stanley cup rings and Olympic gold medal. Plus he's likely off to the hall of fame at some time.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #493
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if Lehner can pull a Murray out of his mask and win the Knights a cup after usurping the starting job from Fleury after he left soiled undergarments on the ice...again.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #494
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I'm sure Fleury isn't too worried about that one. What with his 3 stanley cup rings and Olympic gold medal. Plus he's likely off to the hall of fame at some time.
I'm pretty sure his gaffe Friday brought up some old memories.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #495
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For a supposed hall of Fame goalie, Fleury sure does lose the starting job a lot.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #496
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
For a supposed hall of Fame goalie, Fleury sure does lose the starting job a lot.
He didn’t lose it in the Avs series. They just wanted to rest him game one.

He wasn’t even supposed to be the starter in the regular season. This was supposed to be him winding down this year. Lehner is the one who lost his job.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #497
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just such a dumb mistake...why is he skating backwards and trying to pass it back? If you insist on coming out just stop the puck and get back in the net. Montreal had NOTHING going.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #498
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

All good points, which makes me think the Penguins are gonna pursue MAF in the offseason. Just trade Jarry+ and get it over with
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #499
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that he is 36-years-old, and has played in the NHL for 17 years.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #500
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that he is 36-years-old, and has played in the NHL for 17 years.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
He lost the starters job five years ago in Pittsburgh
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote