Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #2081
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Krejcikova was coached by Jana Novotna, so how can you not cheer for her in the final.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #2082
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1402755663760084995
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #2083
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is such a time capsule for tennis in 2004. People already talking about Federer as being the greatest ever after winning 3 slams that year. Also the ladies really love Saffin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #2084
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis is victorious over Feliciano Lopez taking set 3 6-3 and will play Cilic later today. Felix is on court right now versus Ugo Humbert and won the opening set in a tie-break.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #2085
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile at the other tourney haha, Tsitsipas takes the opening set 6-3 over Zverev.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:48 AM   #2086
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I don't have a issue with clay tennis (I have actually played on red clay in Germany and enjoyed it), my issue is how organizers of the French Open have run the tourney the last couple of years (first by scheduling the tourney that wiped out the Laver Cup in 2020 and this year by pushing it back a week so that it is colliding at the same time as the Stuttgart tourney). The way they treated Naomi was just dreadful as well.
I disagree with your Naomi take. Any grand slam would treated Naomi this way. She was not cooperative. Can you imagine if she did this at Wimbledon with the British press there? Those guys are vultures.

Naomi has her own issues she needs to sort out. The media love her. It's not like they are abusing her. Asking a question like "what are you doing this year to improve your clay court results?" is not abuse.

What gets lost is the tennis press is probably the tamest. We've seen over the last few days how raw and honest these press conferences are. Especially the women's yesterday.

Yes there are flaw with Roland Garros. The French will always french, they don't care about non-french things like the laver cup.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #2087
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix advances over Humbert and avenges a loss at Wimbledon in 2019 to the young French kid. FAA was up 6-3 in the second set tie-break, but couldn't put it away and saved a set point before finally winning 10-8 after playing some clutch tennis.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #2088
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

it's so convenient that the good guy is dressed in yogurt white and the bad guy is clad in black like his tiny feeble heart, makes it easier to know who to cheer for at a glance.

drown in Oikos, villain!
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #2089
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I disagree with your Naomi take. Any grand slam would treated Naomi this way. She was not cooperative. Can you imagine if she did this at Wimbledon with the British press there? Those guys are vultures.

Naomi has her own issues she needs to sort out. The media love her. It's not like they are abusing her. Asking a question like "what are you doing this year to improve your clay court results?" is not abuse.

What gets lost is the tennis press is probably the tamest. We've seen over the last few days how raw and honest these press conferences are. Especially the women's yesterday.

Yes there are flaw with Roland Garros. The French will always french, they don't care about non-french things like the laver cup.
Naomi could certainly have handled this better, but I guess this really struck home for me because I had a female co-worker who is a terrific person and who I really enjoyed working with who was bullied and put under tremendous stress and eventually left the company (I have since left the same company). These people who did the bullying have little compassion for people's feelings and did very little to help her with her mental stress and anxiety.

It's well known that Naomi has been dealing with anxiety since 2018 and the ganging up of the other grand slams threatening to boycott her from their tournaments was just an huge overreaction. The press can still ask their questions and get their answers from players, it doesn't have to be in a crowded room where one person is facing a throng of people especially when it's well documented that this person feels great stress in those types of situations.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #2090
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
it's so convenient that the good guy is dressed in yogurt white and the bad guy is clad in black like his tiny feeble heart, makes it easier to know who to cheer for at a glance.

drown in Oikos, villain!
lol - I was watching Felix's match and the other match via the live scoreboard, am I correct that the Fraud got out to a 3-0 lead in set 2 and then lost six straight games to lose set 2?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #2091
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
lol - I was watching Felix's match and the other match via the live scoreboard, am I correct that the Fraud got out to a 3-0 lead in set 2 and then lost six straight games to lose set 2?
indeed, he sucks

The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #2092
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zverev looks like a Clydesdale pulling the Budweiser beer wagon at the net.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #2093
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Naomi could certainly have handled this better, but I guess this really struck home for me because I had a female co-worker who is a terrific person and who I really enjoyed working with who was bullied and put under tremendous stress and eventually left the company (I have since left the same company). These people who did the bullying have little compassion for people's feelings and did very little to help her with her mental stress and anxiety.

It's well known that Naomi has been dealing with anxiety since 2018 and the ganging up of the other grand slams threatening to boycott her from their tournaments was just an huge overreaction. The press can still ask their questions and get their answers from players, it doesn't have to be in a crowded room where one person is facing a throng of people especially when it's well documented that this person feels great stress in those types of situations.

Yes, your workplace was a toxic place, which shows by your leaving as well. And obviously HR didn't back it up. But the tournaments are a competition, fairness is the key to everything. Plus this sort of came out of blue, maybe it's a bigger problem? We'd need more players to speak out.

Every player at a grand slam shows up for press after a match. Sometimes those rooms are empty and the press conference is over. Rebecca Marino gets a win and maybe the TSN and Canadian press guys are the only one there, asks a couple questions and that's it. But the availability has to be there for everyone. You have to give the unseeded player their press conference too in case they have a big win and their own country's press want to hear them. Remember, matches aren't shown everywhere, we are quite privileged to get TV. The quotes from the press conferences are what gets written in the world papers the next day.

I guess that for me, I've watched enough press conferences to know the the tennis ones are pretty tame. Tennis is trying to promote their players to make them more popular. I need to be shown proof that these commitments are toxic. I mean just watch MacKinnon's presser yesterday after getting eliminated. Even when Naomi loses, she doesn't get questions like that.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #2094
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I mean just watch MacKinnon's presser yesterday after getting eliminated. Even when Naomi loses, she doesn't get questions like that.
you mean you don't want to see a tennis player get asked after a big loss if they were thinking too hard, and that next time they should just say f--- it and stop thinking about it and win? I would have paid money for a reporter to ask that during someone like Serena's presser.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #2095
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate that the Deutschland ###### figured out how to play best of 5.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #2096
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oikos man is starting to curdle.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #2097
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I hate that the Deutschland ###### figured out how to play best of 5.
Play against another choker? Oh wait, that's any NextGen player. Time to start calling it the LostGen. The organizers need to do the right thing here and disqualify these two and move Novak and Rafa to Sunday as the rightful final.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #2098
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Play against another choker? Oh wait, that's any NextGen player. Time to start calling it the LostGen. The organizers need to do the right thing here and disqualify these two and move Novak and Rafa to Sunday as the rightful final.
At least this game is competitive. The Rafa Novak semi will likely be quick work with Rafa winning.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #2099
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Time to start calling it the LostGen.
the Raonic/Dimitrov/Nishikori generation has already been called this, I believe. I think the talent level of this early 20's crop is considerably higher, and they do have the advantage of being able to wait for Big 3 retirement before they hit their 30's.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #2100
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but that's it. They won't win majors until the Big 3 retire, and then they will only start winning them because someone has to. In the meantime a golden opportunity to consolidate fan gains from the Big 3 will be thrown away as no one wants to stick around to watch a bunch of talented, but generally heartless, players.