Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #781
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny, I had a recruiter reach out to me, so I checked them out, they're legit. We have this client, we were referred to you. (Great). Can you send us an updated resume (sure) sent my new resume, updated my contract projects.

Get an email back, our client is having trouble with your format and their ATS. To fix it would you mind going to this service they can look at your resume and suggest fixes to get it past the client ATS, or we'll have to enter it manually.

Go to check out the line. Its a resume service with a 200.00 resume reformating cost after a $10.00 review fee.

Me, I'm not doing that, I'm not paying to change my resume, let the recruiter know that. We'll see if they get back to me. I'm not really looking, but I always believe in at least exploring.

But I'm not paying anyone for an opportunity.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #782
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We're still on the hunt for developers that are interested in working on various projects that include secure mobile messaging platforms, and business to business portals. These roles are contract based/hourly and give the candidate a chance to expand their skills while working on interesting projects in a startup environment. DM me if you are interested in discussing.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #783
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I'm living this situation:
https://www.wayup.com/guide/tell-emp...ng-job-offers/
except the 2nd folks haven't actually offered me the role yet (I'm cautiously optimistic), but the first folks want a decision ASAP and don't want to wait more than a day before starting reference checks on their #2 candidate, BUT the first folks are my preference (even if they'll likely pay ~10% less... it's a stress / personality thing). It's a very delicate and awkward situation, and not purely about the $$$.
wow this situation is f*d up... I feel like I should be on the sidelines with some popcorn watching this but unfortunately it's me.

1.Got an offer, asked for a day. Turns out after I asked for a day they hired someone to start immediately (I would have had to give a notice period). The potential boss' behaviours (not detailed here) indicates I probably would have hated them despite a well-paid FT contract role.

2. Still awaiting direction from other place that I had a 2nd interview with, but HR there is notoriously slow. I'm getting nervous this won't amount to anything.
3. Current part time contract position... boss stops me making decisions, says no don't do that... fast forward a few weeks suddenly I'm to blame when I was the one to bring a valid solution (to a problem that existed prior to my arrival) that he refused to implement. Just had my hours for next week chopped.
Somehow I feel like I'm in a game of Russian roulette. Just hope I'm standing at the end of this insane stressful process.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #784
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have three more technical roles coming in from my recruiting contract for next week, they are all high end software development roles but I'll put the links in here.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #785
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was out last night with some old oil and gas colleagues. This morning when I was recapping the night for my gf I was commenting about how much they complained about their roles.

The industry has picked up down here though, and companies are hiring again, so that's a positive.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #786
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
I was out last night with some old oil and gas colleagues. This morning when I was recapping the night for my gf I was commenting about how much they complained about their roles.

The industry has picked up down here though, and companies are hiring again, so that's a positive.
Are you from THE land down under... or just A land down under?
(ie Oz vs US... or other?)
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:15 PM   #787
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We're still on the hunt for developers that are interested in working on various projects that include secure mobile messaging platforms, and business to business portals. These roles are contract based/hourly and give the candidate a chance to expand their skills while working on interesting projects in a startup environment. DM me if you are interested in discussing.
Do they need to be in Calgary? one of my old foster kids has just finished his coding certificate (who knew a BA in Philosophy didn't get you a job!!) and is looking for work
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #788
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hi AFC, no React0r works virtually, We are willing to work with people North America wide.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #789
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So there's a few roles here's the first one., please note these are all remote work roles

https://www.livehire.com/careers/ian...rce=PublicFeed

Old 05-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #790
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bump, three more roles

Please don't hesitate to ping me if you have any questions or interest.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #791
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I'm sure its in this thread already somewhere else - but what do I need to know about potentially taking contract work? setting aside money for taxes, Albert Blue Cross, setting up a entitity in order to get paid, can I pay my wife to do some accounting, etc?
Old 05-28-2021, 10:14 AM   #792
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I'm sure its in this thread already somewhere else - but what do I need to know about potentially taking contract work? setting aside money for taxes, Albert Blue Cross, setting up a entitity in order to get paid, can I pay my wife to do some accounting, etc?
I believe you can do sole proprietorship up to a certain amount every year. I set up my own company right from the start as my BIL does such things for a living. Made it easy.

Yes, set aside money for taxes. Talk to an accountant on best way to "pay yourself". I have done dividends, management fee, and now salary. Depends on the situation. You will also need to collect and remit GST. I do mine quarterly. Do the math on Blue Cross, I may have looked at it wrong but I could never seem to get more out of it than I put into it. Which makes sense from a pooled risk point of view. So I set aside cash for dental/prescriptions and I bought extra life and disability insurance. I used to pay my wife, but you'd want to look into the latest income splitting rules.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #793
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I contract (IT project manager). Setting up a corporation isn’t tough, I used an online service. Applying for GST is also pretty straightforward. Depending on the opportunity most recruiters seem to want you to be incorporated, it makes things cleaner for them and the company I think.

Salary vs dividends vs shareholder loan are decisions best made with your financial advisor and or accountant. If you’re older and paid into CPP for years then salary might make the most sense. I think it’s important to figure out how much you need on a monthly basis to live+savings and use that as your draw from the corporation.

Corporate bank accounts are inexpensive to setup.
I use wave accounting (waveapps.com) to managing day to day and payroll.
I’m very conservative on what I claim as expenses.

I’m also a bit of a do it yourself guy when it comes to taxes and wanted to do my own year end so I understood it. I’ve kept doing it myself and this I manage fine. Locke does a ton of accounting services for contractors and can help if you want someone to deal with that side.

Contracting has good and bad parts to it but I’ve enjoyed it for the most part over the past few years...other than this last year, that’s been tougher of course.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #794
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly, my guy feel is that I won't go back to an employee role. There's just too many good things in terms of doing contracting. Maybe its because I've been lucky and been able to pile up multiple contracts and keep getting asked about doing more. I know there will be a starvation time. But I love the freedom of it, setting my time and hours. Setting a rate that I think I'm worth instead of gripping about being under paid compared to the revenue I bring in. I can say no to work that I don't want to do. I get to do new and interesting things every day.

Most of all, after what happened in my last couple of "jobs" my trust for employers is through the floor, now I have to trust myself.

Sure there are things that I miss, the stability when things are slower is a big one. But at the same time, there's a certain adrenaline rush to building a business, and a real thrill when an invoice gets paid.

In one of my current contracts (recruiting) they keep pressing on me going employee with them, but I've pushed back because there's no chance that I'm giving up the work that I'm doing in the startup world where I feel like I'm really helping people, and learning new things nearly every day.

I'm not all that interested in working for the man anymore so to speak, I've learned over the years that no matter what you do, they don't always have your best interests at heart.

Friday Rant off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #795
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
It depends. I am contracting now through an IT firm. I had the option to be a T4 employee of the firm instead of incorporating. So every paycheck all my taxes get taken off. I contribute to CPP and EI, and get vacation pay added on.

I don’t have to worry about taxes since I didn’t want to bother with it at this point since it’s my first time contracting.

I made sure my rate was high enough so that it would cover out of pocket benefits, any days off, etc that I would lose out on.

So far I’m happy with my arrangement as I’m making much more money than I ever did when I was an employee. I do miss having a savings/pension though through an employer as that was basically free money.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 12:05 PM   #796
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Booked my PMP Exam next Monday.

Hope I pass that thing.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:35 PM   #797
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm not all that interested in working for the man anymore so to speak, I've learned over the years that no matter what you do, they don't always have your best interests at heart.
A lot of what you're saying is true.

However, when I worked for myself, something that took me by surprise and completely mismanaged was how much of an ahole my boss was (me). Even if I wasn't in front of my computer, I was basically working 24/7 minus sleep. It was a slow burn and took me a couple years to get there though.

As long as you don't let your internal craziness get the better of you, I'm sure you'll be fine.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:32 PM   #798
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hope I pass that thing.

Good luck!!! I assume you managed to get some practice exams (if not Google). The way they ask questions on that exam is a bit funny vs just straight theory testing.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #799
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Hope I pass that thing.

Kick its ass

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #800
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Hope I pass that thing.
Good luck.

I suggest taking it seriously, I think the stats are more than 50% of people fail the first time.

I didn't talk it as seriously as I should have, fell just below the pass mark a couple years ago. Super bummer.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMc For This Useful Post: