Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #12441
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau spent most of the year with broken Monahan and a plug. I dont think many players but up massive numbers in that situation
Old 05-19-2021, 08:47 PM   #12442
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Is that even realistic though as this is probably the hardest thing a GM can accomplish in this league. Most team’s first lines are made up of elite drafted players. The Flames didn’t draft enough elite players when they were rebuilding and now they’re paying the price.

The Flames would be lucky to just find an excellent second line that can be counted on to take some pressure off the 1st line. I’d take that honestly as I’m not expecting miracles here with the limited asset base this team has and the awful looking UFA crop.
I can't argue your points.

Kind of my point though; I think the Flames tried to build around the guys they had but failed miserably. If they want an elite top line they need to have a plan and stick to it until it is finished. Without that it is not going to happen. We are winning meaningless games, this doesn't appear to be an advantage the Flames were willing to use.

Guess we just have to wait and see what the Flames have in store for the off season!
Old 05-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #12443
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Gaudreau spent most of the year with broken Monahan and a plug. I dont think many players but up massive numbers in that situation
I can’t understand why we played Monahan as long as we did. He should have been shut down pretty early in the season based on his level of play (and it likely all being due to the injury).

This team being as rigid as it was with the lines through the first 75% of the season was just dumb. Shut down Monahan, move Bennett up the roster and perhaps things play out in a very different way this season.

Oh well, it’s all over now…and now we just hope for an appropriate level of change.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2021, 10:25 PM   #12444
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He's 74th in even strength scoring (28 points) this year, right alongside Chandler Stephenson. Elite?
I know PPs are part of the game but 74th in ES points isn't elite.
First 40 Games:
27 Points
13 ES Points

Last 16 Games:
22 points
17 ES Points

Gaudreau is still elite. Figured his last month+ showed that. He was just attached to a broken line initially and then a new coach with a new system that confused him. Stick him with Tkachuk and Lindholm for an entire year and he probably looks like an 80-100 point player again.

I actually think this is the best Gaudreau I’ve personally ever seen. His line rarely gets hemmed in their own zone which gives his line more chances on the rush and that’s when they’re most dangerous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #12445
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Interesting article , talks about a potential Jack Eichel/ Rasmus Ristolainen to Calgary trade. Definitely makes some sense if we loose Gio to Seattle , Ristolainen is definitely a Sutter type player. He is BIG NASTY and can play the game fairly well also. I like it!!! Wonder if a Tkachuk/Monahan deal makes more sense for both teams though? Monahan was 6th overall pick and Risto was 8th overall so i think the value is pretty even. They get a center back to replace hole left by Eichel leaving.

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-...lames-tkachuk/

Last edited by CanucksWorstNightmare; 05-20-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #12446
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ristolainen would be a massive detriment to the defense and nothing more. He'd purely be a cap dump in any trade and shouldn't find himself in anything more than a sheltered bottom pairing role, let alone a top 4 role.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #12447
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rumours that Penguins were not happy with Zucker.
And that they would like to have a more offensive third line center to provide depth.
Would they look at a Monahan for Zucker deal?
Old 05-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #12448
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
And that they would like to have a more offensive third line center to provide depth.
That actually sounds plausible. I don’t know why Zucker’s scoring has dried up, but Treliving tried to trade for him once before, and he would certainly improve team speed.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #12449
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I believe Zucker now has a NTC with Calgary on it
Old 05-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #12450
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
barf
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 01:30 PM   #12451
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zucker for Backlund would be good. You need to get better value for Monahan than that.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #12452
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Ristolainen would be a massive detriment to the defense and nothing more. He'd purely be a cap dump in any trade and shouldn't find himself in anything more than a sheltered bottom pairing role, let alone a top 4 role.
Some would argue Monahan is also a cap dump (and Tkachuk is as well, to the tune of about $2M) and that Monahan is a guy who also needs to be sheltered.

In such a trade, you still have a D that has Gio, Tanev, Rasmus, Hanifin and you have Valimaki, Kylington, and maybe Stone. You could shelter Risto if you need to. That said, who knows how good Risto is outside of Buffalo. His 18 points in 47 games who would be second in D points here. And you could trade him at the TDL if you want - he's an expiring contract.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #12453
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksWorstNightmare View Post
Interesting article , talks about a potential Jack Eichel/ Rasmus Ristolainen to Calgary trade. Definitely makes some sense if we loose Gio to Seattle , Ristolainen is definitely a Sutter type player. He is BIG NASTY and can play the game fairly well also. I like it!!! Wonder if a Tkachuk/Monahan deal makes more sense for both teams though? Monahan was 6th overall pick and Risto was 8th overall so i think the value is pretty even. They get a center back to replace hole left by Eichel leaving.

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-...lames-tkachuk/
I could have sworn that I read or maybe heard a story on the radio where Risto was absolutely hated by our analytics people (Snow?)...but I can't find any reference to this. If someone has a legit source or also heard this on the radio...speak up otherwise I will delete this post...
Old 05-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #12454
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I could have sworn that I read or maybe heard a story on the radio where Risto was absolutely hated by our analytics people (Snow?)...but I can't find any reference to this. If someone has a legit source or also heard this on the radio...speak up otherwise I will delete this post...
Yes, no source but I remember it. I think Burke said it on HNIC.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #12455
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now I would love Risto on this team over most of the guys.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #12456
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
So far the analytics people have been knocking it out of the park in identifying players that are going to come here and contribute. JFC, if there is the a bigger pile of bull#### than advanced analytics I don't know what it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #12457
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Right now I would love Risto on this team over most of the guys.
Of course you would, I don't think anyone doubts you love it when this team is sucking bad.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #12458
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So far the analytics people have been knocking it out of the park in identifying players that are going to come here and contribute. JFC, if there is the a bigger pile of bull#### than advanced analytics I don't know what it is.
Please don't confuse this team's brutal pro scouting with analytics. Treliving has barely made any "analytics" moves outside of adding Hamilton/Frolik/Ryan or trading Neal for Lucic. Analytics were clearly not why they brought in Hamonic, Neal, Brouwer, Nordstrom, Ritchie, etc. Most of the rest of this roster was drafted.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-20-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #12459
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Of course you would, I don't think anyone doubts you love it when this team is sucking bad.
That's kind of an unfair comment. I don't like that the team is sucking bad, I want them to be good...they're just not. It's not like they're kina good and just not playing well, they haven't been good and aren't really doing anything to change it. The only time I wanted them to do bad is when they were eliminated and could get a better pick. I think the people who don't want to change things are the ones who want the team to do bad. Being bad and not wanting to change it makes no sense to me, I'm sorry if that goes against what you think.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #12460
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Please don't confuse this team's brutal pro scouting with analytics. Treliving has barely made any "analytics" moves outside of adding Hamilton/Frolik/Ryan or trading Neal for Lucic. Analytics were clearly not why they brought in Hamonic, Neal, Brouwer, Nordstrom, Ritchie, etc. Most of the rest of this roster was drafted.
So analytics are responsible for the half-decent moves and the pro scouts for the crap ones? They should all be the responsibility of the pro scouts, with the support of analytics, one would think.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread