Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #11921
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Didn’t know where to put this but I just read that Monahan is being put on left wing so gawdin can come into lineup and play center . Sutter said Gawdin has been busting his but in practice and because of that he wants to see him in a game. Also said if you are on taxi squad , the only way to get into regular lineup is to bust your but in practice. Found that interesting when we wonder why Kylington never gets into lineup .

According to this, Kylington is also playing today

https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...27591329009666
Old 05-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #11922
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You are pissed at Treliving when the focus should be on the players. Are you someone who has been saying for several years that Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk are just not good enough and a tier below other teams top stars?

There is definitely a gap when seeing 3 years of missed 2nds and the missed 1st in 2018 but this is still a better prospect pool than the team has from 05-11.

The reason this rebuild failed is because the top players peaked and regressed instead of moving the team forward. This organization looks bad today because Monahan fell from 1B C on most teams in the league to likely a 3rd line C on a contending team now. Johnny was looking like a franchise player early in his career and when he scored 99pts he spent large chunks of that season pacing for over 120. He has also regressed in his points per game over the last 2 years. Tkachuk at 21 hits 34 goals and 76pts and he also regressed 2 straight years.

I know people will blame Treliving for this but it comes down to the top players just not being good enough and they had him and many of us fooled. End of the day he is responsible but on my opinion the blame falls on the core of this team
…yeah, he never acquired the required talent for this team to succeed. He built the core of this team on players who weren’t good enough, and they consistently proved it year in and year out. He also hired the bottom of the barrel coaches that failed to help these players develop into anything more than they are today.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #11923
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are pissed at Treliving when the focus should be on the players. Are you someone who has been saying for several years that Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk are just not good enough and a tier below other teams top stars?

There is definitely a gap when seeing 3 years of missed 2nds and the missed 1st in 2018 but this is still a better prospect pool than the team has from 05-11.

The reason this rebuild failed is because the top players peaked and regressed instead of moving the team forward. This organization looks bad today because Monahan fell from 1B C on most teams in the league to likely a 3rd line C on a contending team now. Johnny was looking like a franchise player early in his career and when he scored 99pts he spent large chunks of that season pacing for over 120. He has also regressed in his points per game over the last 2 years. Tkachuk at 21 hits 34 goals and 76pts and he also regressed 2 straight years.

I know people will blame Treliving for this but it comes down to the top players just not being good enough and they had him and many of us fooled. End of the day he is responsible but on my opinion the blame falls on the core of this team
You are correct, but it's his job to see those top players failing and do something about it too.
There are many of us who knew that was the case for 3 years now; BT being fooled is unacceptable.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #11924
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Who chooses the players though? Brad Treliving does and since he’s got an entire team of supposedly smart hockey minds, I would expect some better talent evaluation.

Personally, I don’t think the players have necessarily regressed, I think it’s more so about teams learning how to defend the Flames. Saying that they’ve regressed is a simplistic answer to a much more complex issue IMO. Take Monahan for example, I will self admit that I’m not the biggest fan of his game. Everyone raved about his goal scoring ability, but to me, I was unimpressed because he scored the majority of his goals in just 2 ways, a few feet in front of the net or wide open in the slot, both methods require someone to transport the puck to him which makes him dependent and extremely predictable and thus, easy to defend.

Another major issue with that line is you’ve got a diminutive winger doing the job of the centerman. Not smart. Management chose not to rectify that and now the opposition has completely exploited the situation with every team deploying a 1-2-2 forecheck on that line which effectively killed their ability to get into transition where they were most dangerous. That’s on Treliving and co in my opinion because that duo has had a long history of being shut down in tight checking and playoff games. That’s a failure to react/forecast.

That brings me to the topic of James Neal. Many might remember the disdain I had for James Neal right from the start of the 18-19 campaign. In actuality, I didn’t like James Neal from preseason game #2 as I could tell he was going to be a spectacular failure here. The evidence was right in front of us. He’s not a great skater, terrible mobility, limited puck skills, weak hockey IQ, he wasn’t great at creating his own shot and he scored the majority of his goals in only a few ways. He’s also the type of player who requires a linemate who can play with pace and create and dish. In other words, another Sean Monahan but from the wing position.

So management basically doubled down and essentially employed 2 very similar, yet very expensive conditional snipers. That was on top of the Troy Brouwer gaff in which they bought out halfway through. So here you have Treliving and his braintrust, coughing up roughly $17M into 3 complimentary forwards who struggle at driving play. Then finally, you have Sam Bennett currently killing it in Florida as a Panther. That one is unequivocally on management’s ability to find enough dynamic, play driving forwards. I guess the mantra of finding players with edge, grit and competitiveness didn’t translate into goals, hmm, go figure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #11925
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Cue more Eichel trade rumors and speculation

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Jack Eichel admits he's "upset" about the way things have been handled since his injury. Says there's "been a bit of a disconnect" between him and the Sabres.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #11926
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see it now Eichel trade watch is going to hold up the flame ability to make moves resulting in a similar core returning next season.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #11927
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This is quite the quote.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1391785966675841025

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #11928
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell me you’ll be out of Buffalo without saying you’ll be out of Buffalo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #11929
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tre should start making trades once we are officially eliminated. No need to start competing with others on the trade market.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #11930
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm betting he goes to L.A. for Byfield and their 2021 1st (no lottery protection) and probably a few other pieces
Old 05-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #11931
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm betting he goes to L.A. for Byfield and their 2021 1st (no lottery protection) and probably a few other pieces
I'm not sure they would/should add that much to Byfield, certainly not an unprotected 1st IMO.

It makes a ton of sense for LAK to push the pedal to the floor while Kopitar and Doughty are still young, and especially while the PAC division will be so weak for the foreseeable.

Byfield + Lias Andersson + 2nd + young D/prospect should be enough IMO. Not sure where else BUF is getting a blue-chip like Byfield.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #11932
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
With Eichel’s injury problems, I think the Kings can stand pat to Turcotte or Vilardi as the base rather than Byfield
Old 05-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #11933
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel is amazing but I don't think the Flames should go after him. The Flames are a bubble team with not a lot of good prospects, they shouldn't be giving up futures at this point. Now is the time to collect for the future.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #11934
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ristolinen also said he wants out of Buffalo. Make the playoffs next year or he is leaving.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:39 PM   #11935
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile Jeff Skinner is perfectly happy to stay in Buffalo.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #11936
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Meanwhile Jeff Skinner is perfectly happy to stay in Buffalo.
He doesn’t have a choice. The only way he is getting out under his current contract is to retire.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #11937
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Eichel is amazing but I don't think the Flames should go after him. The Flames are a bubble team with not a lot of good prospects, they shouldn't be giving up futures at this point. Now is the time to collect for the future.
I think they need to do one or the other here.

Mortgage the future and acquire Eichel? Cool, I'm all in. The rest of the roster is generally pretty good, but they lack the hardest piece to acquire - an elite #1 centre.

On the flip side, if they aren't willing to mortgage the future to get Eichel...well, then sell parts off and tank.

Option 1 or 2 at least meaningfully moves the needle towards improving the team, either now or in the future. Anything else just leaves us wandering in mediocrity.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-10-2021 at 02:56 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #11938
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
But if you get him, you’re a hop skip and a jump away from contending.

You can’t contend without at least one player at least as good as Jack Eichel.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #11939
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ristolinen also said he wants out of Buffalo. Make the playoffs next year or he is leaving.

If he wants out, he should play better. Who wants him?

Maybe for Monny?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #11940
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, your not an instant contender with him. First, you have to give up value to get him...likely a lot because it'll be a bidding war, that will weaken the team. Second, herniated disks in the neck is a pretty significant injury. Imagine giving up so much value for a player that might never be what he was pre injury.

The teams like LA or the rangers that can and will make offers have a lot of high end prospects they could give up. The Flames can't put together a package anywhere close to that good, and you know how those teams got those prospects? They did bad and got good picks, they weren't bubble teams with late teens/early 20's picks.

This just isn't the right time to "go for it"