Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #101
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau. As much as I would like to keep him, he'd be in demand, and the contract situation makes it an easy move. Push him hard before the draft.

I still believe Tkachuk turns it around, he's looked good again the last few weeks.

Monahan is a great piece to keep around, if Dube turns into a 2nd line C then you look at trading Monahan but for the time being, Lindholm - Monahan is a good 1-2 down the middle
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #102
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

To me it's pick 2 off that list because we likely lose one off the list in the expansion draft.

I think that Andersson will be traded prior to the expansion draft for picks or a top 6 forward prospect that doesn't need protection and we lose Kylington or Phillips.

The critical area that needs addressing is the quality of the top 6. I don't think any core changes will happen with what remains after the expansion draft because I don't see a trade where you can move a forward and get a better one back and with a loss of a top 4 d there is no room to trade another top 4 d for a forward.

What I expect to happen is a forward will be brought in at the expense of picks and prospects or UFA will be signed.

Anything in between those two things is a rebuild and not a retool.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #103
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't say because we don't have all the facts.

The hope is that Johnny and Tkachuck (ie their agents) will give honest answers to management as to whether they want to be here long term. If not, you move both and hope for decent return.

I would like to see JG remain a Flame.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #104
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau, just because we don't deserve him with all the whiners on here.

If you thought Bennett was lighting it up after moving on...
Old 05-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #105
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, if you want to change the personality of the team, if you want a character change, Monahan is the one to move.

Obviously, contract situations will trump everything else, but all else equal, if you want to change the makeup of the team, I would move vets in this order:

1) Monahan
2) Backlund
3) Giordano
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #106
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan.

Sutter needs to take Tkachuk aside and tell him to start playing the way he did before the Muzzin incident. Then he needs to tell the team if they showed half as much "give a f--k" as he did that night, they might reliably win some hockey games.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #107
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Gaudreau. As much as I would like to keep him, he'd be in demand, and the contract situation makes it an easy move. Push him hard before the draft.

I still believe Tkachuk turns it around, he's looked good again the last few weeks.

Monahan is a great piece to keep around, if Dube turns into a 2nd line C then you look at trading Monahan but for the time being, Lindholm - Monahan is a good 1-2 down the middle
One of the reasons I disliked putting Ritchie in place of Dube is that at least Dube was getting some reps in the dot (and neither Ritchie or Mangiapane are any good at FOs) and Dube could also get more puck carries in. It's closer to getting to play centre than he gets with Backlund or Ryan.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 02:31 PM   #108
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
IMO, if you want to change the personality of the team, if you want a character change, Monahan is the one to move.

Obviously, contract situations will trump everything else, but all else equal, if you want to change the makeup of the team, I would move vets in this order:

1) Monahan
2) Backlund
3) Giordano
I know I said Tkachuk, because he's the only one who can move the needle in terms of trade value.

But if all three of these guys were traded, I would be onboard.
It would be tough to shed that much cap though.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #109
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at contract, value and fit. Which players out of the 'core' have seemed to work under Sutter? Keep those. Which ones haven't? Get rid of those.

I would say the two players that have really worked well under Sutter are Gaudreau and Lindholm. Down the stretch, which players were noticeably better, especially in these 'big games' when they had to produce? Again, the answer is Gaudreau and Lindholm.

The two that haven't? Monahan and Tkachuk.

Now, Monahan was rumoured to be playing through an injury. Is Tkachuk? I don't know. However, neither one of them fit the fast team that Sutter wants.

I think an important thing to look at is contracts. If Gaudreau doesn't show much interest in putting a framework around an extension, then you have to trade him. His contract doesn't really 'scare' me much.

I look at Tkachuk's deal and think: "Get value now", as he isn't even showing that he fits. Next season, if things don't turn around for him, he is both not going to WANT to sign a long-term extension, and there may be talk about how this 9 million dollar player is not providing fair value.

Monahan is a centre, and has been doing more heavy lifting and developing. However, his speed is a bit of an issue into how he fits on this team. In hindsight, Monahan should have been traded and Bennett retained. I worry about his value around the league. 3 seasons ago, he would have commanded a huge return - even 2 seasons ago. For a long stretch, he hasn't looked like a high-end player that one would pay a hefty price for. He most certainly isn't useless, and there should be 31 teams inquiring about him if he is shopped, but the prices should be substantially lower.

Giordano - tough one to move. It is always difficult moving your captain (and best defencemen, IMO). I think if you are not going to protect him, you trade him. Why? You can't just leave your captain unprotected. Others see that differently as not a big deal, but Giordano has been a long-term captain of this team, gives his all every game, has put in an incredible amount of work into the community, and has never complained a single time with his usage or his partners. If he hasn't earned some goodwill, I don't know who would. Trade him or protect him, but you don't expose him. However, he is still by far this teams' best 2-way defencemen. It is a tough decision to make this off-season where he is concerned entering the last year of his deal, and looking better under Sutter than under Ward.

IMO, defence is the most pressing area that needs work.

My vote is trade Tkachuk, and then either trade Giordano or Tanev, and then you don't have anyone important being taken off the roster (assuming you get picks/prospects that aren't eligible. Complicates matters a bit more if you get eligible replacements, but still probably the trades that should be prioritized.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #110
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone is being way too harsh on Tkachuk.

He will rebound from this and we have no idea what he will sign for, could be a long-term deal with a similar AAV as he has now. He doesn’t need to sign his QO.

He is 23 and is having an off year where there is no crowds and yet another new coach.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #111
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Honestly I think you need to hold on Monahan.

His value looks to have bottomed out given the last two seasons. I'd let him bounce back a nudge and get another team excited that there's more to come.

We've likely already seen that with Gaudreau and his final quarter of this season.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #112
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we're not trading our best assets to unite them with their brothers or send them to their hometown. I hope if we're trading these players, we're getting the best return possible, even if that means sending them to Buffalo or Arizona.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #113
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Highly doubtful. In todays cap world nobody is taking big dollars back without dumping some salary back. Even the teams with cap space.

For Point?

A number of teams would make an exception.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:24 PM   #114
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find a lot of the requests to trade Tkachuk interesting. I get that a lot of it is in reflection of this play this season, but I feel it would be a mistake to cut loose a guy that by all indication was progressing well until this covid season, which honestly is a cluster#### and I don't believe his play this year is going to be the norm for him here on out. Out of all players playing weak, I think he's one that's prime to bounce back the most especially since he's still fairly young.

I also appreciate that he's the one player that can provide a lot of emotion into a team that sorely lacks it, and is one of the reasons this franchise has been the kings of mediocrity for so long. I think we need to be keeping players like Tkachuck moreso than trying to get rid of them.

I do get the contract concerns of if he wants to stay here or not, but 's no different than with Gaudreau or even Monahan quite frankly. You don't really know until either the team approaches them for a extension prior to the expiring year, or when it does expires. Tkachuk signing the contract he did was looking out for Tkachuk's best interest, which you can't fault a player for doing. That's what every player should be doing. It's not his fault that Treliving set up a bad cap situation that he couldn't get him a longer contract at a value Tkachuk felt was fair.

So I don't read too much into his contract being brief as a reason he wouldn't want to re-sign with Flames. And I would like to see how Tkachuk does next season under more normal circumstances before considering if he's part of the long term makeup of the team or not. If not, still can make something work at the trade deadline or following off season.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #115
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
How is Vegas such a great team without a #1C?
Karlsson and Marchessault are a potent 1-2 punch. They don't put up huge points but are good at both ends of the ice.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #116
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
For Point?

A number of teams would make an exception.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Definitely. But it would be far easier for TBL to send Killorn/Gourde to SEA on the condition that they also select Tyler Johnson. I bet SEA even includes a 3rd rounder in that scenario.

Boom, $10M space cleared, albeit 2 important roster spots. Though a healthy Kucherov offsets one of them, they'll still have 3 holes to fill (Coleman, Goodrow).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #117
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Either way he can't be the #1 center.
not picking on you but wanted to focus on this point.

everyone says Lindy is their best centre (and I don't disagree) but then everyone says Mony isn't a #1 (which is true if you agree with the former point)...so what's the issue? he is, and can continue to be, a great 2nd line centre.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #118
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think trading one core piece is enough to get us an elite center. If we can get an elite center we should go all in and trade good pieces for what we need. Depending on what Johnny wants to do, I would lean on trading Monahan, or both. Obviously we can't just make a trade for the sake of making a trade, this team needs to move in the right direction. I doubt Monahan is enough to get it done unless he gets us a first.

Flames can't afford to fall behind sticking to the "process".
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #119
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Karlsson and Marchessault are a potent 1-2 punch. They don't put up huge points but are good at both ends of the ice.
March isn’t a C tho.

They have Chandler Stephenson as their current #1C.

I’m sure Glass/Krebs will end up there but for now they’ve rolled out middle six centres to go along with their elite wingers.

Minnesota and Vegas are getting by with great wingers, strong defence and goaltending, something I don’t think is far fetched to say we (could) have.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:59 PM   #120
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
March isn’t a C tho.

They have Chandler Stephenson as their current #1C.

I’m sure Glass/Krebs will end up there but for now they’ve rolled out middle six centres to go along with their elite wingers.

Minnesota and Vegas are getting by with great wingers, strong defence and goaltending, something I don’t think is far fetched to say we (could) have.
So you only need to move a 5th round pick to get a number one center?!?!?!

Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: