Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #141
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Can anyone who listened to this recap what was actually said? Has Gaudreau himself actually said this or is this just radio guys postulating?

I find it very hard to believe, based on his overall effort level this season. Seems like he doesn’t want to stay at all. Last few games he’s been really good though so who knows I guess. Body language and all that though he seems like he can’t wait to get outta here and isn’t having fun whatsoever.
Please do a body language analysis for all players. 👀
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #142
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

TT had multiple offers he wasn't coming here, especially at that rate. People always assume the Flames passed on these players.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #143
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Oilers had decent management they would just be coming out of their "window" with Hall, RNH and Murray reaching the end of their deals, probably with about as much success as the flames have had over the last 5 years. It took not just prolonged incompetence but incredible luck to finally get 2 players worth building around. Not to mention the luck it took to get their original top 3 1sts. If the flames next 15 years is going to take shape of the last 15 years of Edmonton, shoot me in the ####ing face.
Major Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #144
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, I think CGY has been really good the past couple of games offensively. I realize that sounds crazy given the relative low amount of goals.

It's not even the posts from last game either. Even against TOR (and I realize TOR and EDM were playing CGY after 3 in 4 or such) each line had so many shifts where it was just a little off...meaning they were so close to generating amazing chances).

For example: against TOR, Monahan had this great pass to Mangiapane - Monny near left boards close to offensive blue line and gives this no look pass to Mangiapane who was more in the middle. The puck just hopped on Mang.

Lindholm - Tkachuk - Gaudreau had so many of these just rolling or hopping off the stick but so did Ryan - Ritchie - Leivo.

This may be opposite to others but I thought defensive zone play against MTL slipped back to pre Darryl practice type playing ie not very good. I know, CGY outshot and outplayed them for long stretches but it just wasn't clean play in the d zone the way one would like to see. Just keep it moving but don't give it team mates in d zone who are covered or will be under immediate pressure. Nitpicking though.

The PP needs to give them some margin for error with some goal scoring cushion. They need more shots from people who can really shoot it. Once the puck is put on net they need to collapse faster to get to any rebounds - too much staying outside.

MTL got up 1 and did what all teams do - clog the neutral zone. CGY goal came when Gio decided to finally pound the puck deep into the o zone.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #145
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
TT had multiple offers he wasn't coming here, especially at that rate. People always assume the Flames passed on these players.
What exactly about Montreal and playing in the highest taxed region in the NHL appealed to Taffoli for him to take a pay cut? Montreal likely landed him because they had the best offer, and often the Canadiens have to pay as much as a 10% premium to win a money battle.

Not that the Flames were in on him, but as I noted before if they are not carrying 2.7 million in cap bogeys plus paying Lucic 5.25 for the year a player like him could have been on their radar.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #146
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
If we didn't have so much money tied up in the bottom 6, maybe we could afford to upgrade the top 6?

Not sure about you guys, but I notice a problem scoring goals.
That's a separate argument. We only had enough cap space for Markstrom or Toffoli ( if he would have signed) so which would you prefer? I think a true number 1 tender was going to make a bigger impact.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #147
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
That's a separate argument. We only had enough cap space for Markstrom or Toffoli ( if he would have signed) so which would you prefer? I think a true number 1 tender was going to make a bigger impact.
Talbot $3.7 mill (92.2%) + Toffoli $4.25 (32 points)
Seems much better than
Markstrom $ 6 mill (90.3%)
Talbot heavily outperformed Rittich, Rittich (barely) outperformed Markstrom.

And this disregards the fact that Markstrom has much longer term.
However, Talbot + Toffoli does cost about $2 mill more so that takes space away from a Tanev signing.

Either way, I think the priority should have been signing guys like Mangiapane and Dube to really long contracts.
The actual core of the team is insufficient, regardless of even major FA signings.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #148
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ottawa cracking the door open for the Flames again
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:23 PM   #149
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Talbot $3.7 mill (92.2%) + Toffoli $4.25 (32 points)
Seems much better than
Markstrom $ 6 mill (90.3%)
Talbot heavily outperformed Rittich, Rittich (barely) outperformed Markstrom.

And this disregards the fact that Markstrom has much longer term.
However, Talbot + Toffoli does cost about $2 mill more so that takes space away from a Tanev signing.

Either way, I think the priority should have been signing guys like Mangiapane and Dube to really long contracts.
The actual core of the team is insufficient, regardless of even major FA signings.
Toffoli wasn't coming here....to say Rittich and Talbot are better than Markstrom is also pretty suspect. Markstrom had a tough dozen games after an injury but was all world to start the season and seems to be getting back to that level.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #150
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do we know Toffoli wasn’t coming here?
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #151
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Toffoli wasn't coming here....to say Rittich and Talbot are better than Markstrom is also pretty suspect. Markstrom had a tough dozen games after an injury but was all world to start the season and seems to be getting back to that level.
I think Markstrom is a good goalie, and I think he deserves credit for his recent play.
He might even be in the Vezina conversation next year with a full training camp under Sutter.

I just hate the contract, especially its term.

The Flames clearly had major problems with the core that couldn't be fixed with UFA signings, so I don't know why they went out and gave a 6 x 6 to a 31 year player.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #152
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They went out and got the best goalie available because they allowed 7 goals on 7 scoring chances in an elimination game while Markstrom was knocking off the defending cup champs.

I still think it works out in the end.... Markstrom is not the contract holding back the Flames atm
Old 04-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #153
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lmao wow the Habs are pathetic.

Even when we lose to Ottawa we at least put up a goal!

But no I don't trust our luck/fortunes enough to pry the door open. We simply do not appear to get bounces this season when we require them. Meanwhile the Habs have perfected the rope and dope, mostly due to goaltending and lady luck.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-17-2021 at 05:29 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #154
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
Please do a body language analysis for all players. 👀
Valimaki was holding in a fart for half of the 2nd period for fear it would end up being a shart.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #155
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
How do we know Toffoli wasn’t coming here?
Unlikely a guy with multiple offers chooses Calgary unless they are paying more.

I guess I don't know for sure but it sounds like Montreal was his #1. My point is you can't just assume Calgary could have had him for the same price.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:47 PM   #156
Cobra
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Unlikely a guy with multiple offers chooses Calgary unless they are paying more.

I guess I don't know for sure but it sounds like Montreal was his #1. My point is you can't just assume Calgary could have had him for the same price.
Why do you think this is?
Do they look at the roster as constructed and see no chance of success or is there some other reason why he would not play here?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #157
Cobra
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Or could it be your GM pays Backlund 5,350,000 as a 3rd line center and Ryan as a 4th line center 3,150,000 and you have no money left for top 6 wingers?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 09:05 PM   #158
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Or could it be your GM pays Backlund 5,350,000 as a 3rd line center...
Oh, good lord. Would people please stop with this "3rd line centre Mikael Backlund" nonsense? Backlund is a top-two centre. He has been a top-two centre for years, and he was already one when he signed his current deal, that is already halfway to completion.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-18-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #159
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. 8.6m in 2 bottom 6 centers. Add another 5. Whatever for Looch (who's swan song Renaissance has been delightful).

That's two top 6 wingers right there.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #160
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oh, good lord. Would people please stop with this 3rd line centre Mikael Backlund nonsense? Backlund is a top-two centre. He has been a top-two centre for years, and he was already one when he signed ed his current deal, that is already halfway to completion.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Well however you want to paint the numbers, one center on this team is a 3rd line center. Two of them happen to be over 30. And one is locked in for a few more years. Seems dodge at best.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote