Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #1021
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
No it doesn’t (Hearing about all of these on the news). People (families) deserve some level of privacy with these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Curious about the position that the news should cover more suicides
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Depends, most people try to hide the suicides of their loved ones. So I think reporting it would hurt the surviving members more. I mean would you report gun suicides only?
I completely understand the need for most families to have privacy at such a time of tragedy, but it’s not as if the news can’t report on suicides without withholding the names of the victims.

The news has no problem reporting on someone who was murdered, even when the victim is a child. Do the families in those cases not want some privacy as well? It’s just bizarre that they’ve drawn this line where suicide is taboo.

I don’t have the stats so I’ll happily stand corrected on this if it turns out to not be accurate but my guess is that there are probably more victims of suicide than murders, rapes, kidnappings and stabbings yet for some reason those stories get all the headlines.

If we want less people to have to go through the tragedy of losing a loved one who committed suicide we have to bring more attention to how much it’s happening and why it’s happening. Bell let’s talk day isn’t going to cut it.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #1022
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I very much doubt that. That’s closer to your lifetime risk of dying by being shot, which to put into perspective, is about 3x less likely than your risk of dying in a car accident, or the always terrifying: “falling.”

And that number is averaged out, obviously. For many that number of much higher, for many much lower. I agree it’s ####ed, and is something that should go away, but it’s nothing to be scared about or change your behaviour over.

I lived in the US and I loved it. Best experience of my life. Granted, I lived in SoCal and for my money that’s the best place in North America.

I’ve also travelled the US extensively (35+ states) and it’s not crazy to assume most people around you pack heat. I stand by my comment about not honking at people there as road rage is a real thing, and access to hand guns is as easy as anything. I’m smart enough to stay away from no-go zones.

I moved a couple times while living down there and I lived about 15 minutes from the San Bernardino shooting. I left the Mandalay Bay two days before the shooting in Vegas. I was in Phoenix when the guy was blasting cars from an overpass on I-17.

It’s closer to your average Joe than most people think IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #1023
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From what I understand, the reason why suicides are not reported is to prevent vulnerable people from commiting the act themselves. There are studies that show reporting on suicides increase the likelihood of others taking their lives.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mivdo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #1024
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I lived in the US and I loved it. Best experience of my life. Granted, I lived in SoCal and for my money that’s the best place in North America.

I’ve also travelled the US extensively (35+ states) and it’s not crazy to assume most people around you pack heat. I stand by my comment about not honking at people there as road rage is a real thing, and access to hand guns is as easy as anything. I’m smart enough to stay away from no-go zones.

I moved a couple times while living down there and I lived about 15 minutes from the San Bernardino shooting. I left the Mandalay Bay two days before the shooting in Vegas. I was in Phoenix when the guy was blasting cars from an overpass on I-17.

It’s closer to your average Joe than most people think IMO.
Maybe you’re just in the latest Final Destination movie and you don’t know it yet?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #1025
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
From what I understand, the reason why suicides are not reported is to prevent vulnerable people from commiting the act themselves. There are studies that show reporting on suicides increase the likelihood of others taking their lives.
I’ve heard this before as well, and to be honest there was a time when I agreed with it but I just don’t buy it anymore. I’m willing to bet every mass shooting is inspired to at least some degree by a similar event but that doesn’t stop the news from reporting on them.

When you consider the ever increasing numbers it doesn’t appear as though not reporting on suicides is helping reduce their occurrence. I think reporting on it and using that as a platform to bring more attention to the resources available for people who are struggling with mental health issues will do more to help than pretending lke it isn’t happening.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #1026
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Is that just a feeling you have or have you seen reports on it? Every report that I've ever seen says reporting suicides leads to more suicides.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #1027
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK207262/

Quote:
Research into the impact of media stories about suicide has demonstrated an increase in suicide rates after both nonfictional and fictional stories about suicide. Most research in this area has addressed nonfictional reporting, which has been shown to have a more powerful effect (Stack, 2003).

More than 50 studies on nonfictional stories reported in newspapers, on television, and more recently on the Internet, have yielded consistent findings. Suicide rates go up following an increase in the frequency of stories about suicide (e.g., Hagihara et al., 2007). Moreover, suicide rates go down following a decrease in the frequency of stories about suicide (e.g., Motto, 1970).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #1028
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is that just a feeling you have or have you seen reports on it? Every report that I've ever seen says reporting suicides leads to more suicides.
Sorry jayswin I should have worded my post a little better. I’ve read studies similar to the one you posted and I’m not disputing their findings. However what I’ve found is that these types of studies only focus on the very short term implications of reporting suicides rather than looking at whether or not bringing more awareness to how prevalent the issue is would be more beneficial in addressing what is actually causing people to commit suicide and lowering suicide rates in the long run.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #1029
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I very much doubt that. That’s closer to your lifetime risk of dying by being shot, which to put into perspective, is about 3x less likely than your risk of dying in a car accident, or the always terrifying: “falling.”

And that number is averaged out, obviously. For many that number of much higher, for many much lower. I agree it’s ####ed, and is something that should go away, but it’s nothing to be scared about or change your behaviour over.
But they are scared, and they do change their behaviour around guns lol
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #1030
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
Gun control would do more to prevent suicides.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #1031
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Covid restrictions go down ( when they shouldn't)and mass shooting go up.

Not surprising. They didnt deal with the problem before .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #1032
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Gun control would do more to prevent suicides.
Sure. Why not both?
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mivdo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #1033
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand there are two mass shootings today (defined as four or more casualties). It looks like many people are trying to get into the news and to outdo each other. It’s getting like we’re surprised when there are none in a day.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #1034
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is your dick that tiny you need to strap a gun on your person 24/7? Jesus.
My favorite part is that the type of people who feel the need to be armed for their trip to Walmart are often the same types who claim people who wear masks/follow Covid restrictions are 'living in fear.'
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 03:05 AM   #1035
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The thing that irritates me the most is the argument that you need the 2nd amendment in order to protect against government tyranny.

People I know on the right in the US bring this up, and these are for the most part sensible people, its just absurd to suggest that the Government avoids tyranny because lots of people have guns lol
Old 04-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #1036
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I understand there are two mass shootings today (defined as four or more casualties). It looks like many people are trying to get into the news and to outdo each other. It’s getting like we’re surprised when there are none in a day.
Most mass shootings are drive-byes in gang wars. I doubt they’re trying to get in the news.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #1037
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The thing that irritates me the most is the argument that you need the 2nd amendment in order to protect against government tyranny.

People I know on the right in the US bring this up, and these are for the most part sensible people, its just absurd to suggest that the Government avoids tyranny because lots of people have guns lol
My favorite when you challenge a 2nder is the bizarre narrative that if the Hitler government didn't confiscate civilian guns, there would have been no Holocaust because then the Jewish folks could have just "stood up" to the government
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #1038
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most mass shootings are drive-byes in gang wars. I doubt they’re trying to get in the news.
Most definitions of mass shooting, and most reportings, exclude gang violence. So this isn’t correct.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #1039
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Its a delusional concept that might have worked 100 years ago, but not today. Does anyone think that a militia of fat middle aged guys with assault rifles is going to live more then 6 seconds against the US military if they rose up against a tyrannical government.

If hypothetically the US government had decided to directly deal with the Congress incident by rolling in a light infantry unit that they would have done anything but pee their pants and die?

If anything a so called tyrannical government would use these militia groups as an excuse to take them out. But even under Joe who is decidedly an enemy of these groups didn't role out murder squads to deal with them.

The concept of a militia who could keep a government in theoretical check worked best after the civil war period when most of those militia members would have been hardened veterans who could muster significant forces and they'd sit there and shoot each other and laugh as lead balls bounced off of each others heavy jackets.

Right now, and I'm meandering, there is absolutely a gun problem, I can't argue that, I don't think anyone can argue that. But there's also a wide political divide in the States that was encouraged by romantic notions about how the government is in theory supposed to work and be kept in check. There's also a real rage issue in the States. Mix that with easy access to fire arms and you've got a problem.

The solution isn't as simple as taking away guns or hardening gun laws. There's too much money to be made. There's a real need for a government to deal with mental health issues, race issues, divided community issues, and poverty issues combined with real serious crime and gang issues.

Its an impossible situation for any government at any level to deal with.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #1040
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

And many of those same people cheered on Trump as he tried to overthrow a legitimate election. They are 100% on board with tyranny as long as it's "their" guy

I used to wonder how someone like Hitler could have rose to power like he did when he didn't even try to hide his true intentions. Watching what happened to the US over the last 5 years made it clear just how easy it is to brainwash a significant percentage of the population into accepting fascism as long as you give them a scapegoat to rally against (immigrants, liberals, jews, etc)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: