Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #361
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Dealing with the after affects of covid is not part of the game. This isn't a broken bone or pulled muscle. This is serious and debilitating shock to the respiratory system. Trying to equate it with something that is "part of the game" is ####ing ridiculous.
If they are cleared they are cleared. It's not like we haven't already had a full NFL season play out where numerous players got COVID and all went on to play after. If some players can't play then bring in players from the AHL.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #362
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Covid is in fact a part of the game now. Its a part of life. I don't see how playing hockey is any riskier than any other task while having covid after effects. Is this physical strain higher? Sure. Are ppl in the best shape of their lives and receive second 2 none medical care and testing? You bet. Who cares if its not fair to the Canucks. Every team is taking the same risks. They got unlucky. Socks to be them. If they are going to refuse to play after being cleared thaen they should forfeit games and potentially salary.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 11:03 AM   #363
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Well, I’d argue we don’t fully know the aftermath of health effects after getting Covid. Nonetheless a much a different variant than when other hockey teams have gotten covid, nonetheless going back to play when players are still sick (via Darren Dreger) and nonetheless playing in a playoff-like setting. Injuries such as torn muscles, broken bones, ect are part of playing the game; Covid is not.
Perhaps the league should cancel the games but give them 35 wins, 73 points and let them have another training camp leading up to a playoff matchup.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #364
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dealing with the after affects of covid is not part of the game. This isn't a broken bone or pulled muscle. This is serious and debilitating shock to the respiratory system. Trying to equate it with something that is "part of the game" is ####ing ridiculous.
Non hockey-related injuries and ailments are still part of being a professional athlete. If a player gets mono , or pulls their groin walking the dog, or whatever, it is up to them to take care of themselves and be certain that it is safe to resume practice and play. It is not up to the league to take care of them.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #365
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Devil's had 15 days off and then had to play...I don't remember the public outcry for them...it sucks but either play the games or forefeit and give back a portion of salary. Welcome to the real world of the pandemic.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #366
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

A player who breaks a bone or suffers a sprain doesn't "spread" his injury to others ie: teammates, staff, wife and kids at home.
COVID is not part of the game. It's an infectious disease.
Anyhow there's no chance the Canucks play out their season imho.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #367
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
A player who breaks a bone or suffers a sprain doesn't "spread" his injury to others ie: teammates, staff, wife and kids at home.
COVID is not part of the game. It's an infectious disease.
Anyhow there's no chance the Canucks play out their season imho.
Is any infectious disease part of the game? No.

Is it the player's responsibility to ensure that they are ready and able to resume play and practice before they do? And to ensure that they don't infect others? Yes
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #368
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Will be interesting how this plays out as it pertains to the Flames. We have 4 games against them and they have none against Montreal.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #369
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Is it the player's responsibility to ensure that they are ready and able to resume play and practice before they do? And to ensure that they don't infect others? Yes
The league shut them down.

They havent skated (some not all) for up to 3 weeks.

They have had one practice since. (yesterday)

There is no blaming players for being unready to resume, they havent been allowed to be ready nor have they had the time.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #370
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flyers just played 17 games in 30 days
Devil's played after 15 days off and one practice
Boston had a similar schedule

They need to start Sunday or Monday and get it done. That gives them 2 or 3 days of skating before a game which is more than other teams got.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #371
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The Devil's had 15 days off and then had to play...I don't remember the public outcry for them...it sucks but either play the games or forefeit and give back a portion of salary. Welcome to the real world of the pandemic.

Probably because those games didn’t affect the Canadian division.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #372
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm hoping the team doctors take their job seriously then and only clear players to play if it is safe for them to do so. If that means that some players might not be cleared for weeks due to lingering symptoms then that's how it should be.

Ideally they should be able to call up AHL players to ensure they have a full roster for practices and games and just reintroduce players back into practice as they recover from COVID as they would following a return from injury. It is of course a special case due to the number of players affected at the same time - but in a way this might be similar to if the team got into a bus crash where a bunch of players got whiplash/broken bones - what would a team do in that situation?
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to delayedreflex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #373
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Da Conna barely missed any game action through the black death he got at West Ed Mall. That was an infectious disease.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #374
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Leafs-Canucks game will be postponed to Sunday night when the Canucks return to the ice. That means the Oilers-Jets game on Saturday will be played three hours earlier at 1700h which makes for no HNIC doubleheader.

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-c...hl/c-323684192

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #375
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I had a post viral cough for at least a month after Covid. I wouldn't have been very fit for sports right away.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #376
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I had a post viral cough for at least a month after Covid. I wouldn't have been very fit for sports right away.
I had fatigue and brain fog for at least a month. I didn't have the cough, and I'm lucky because I did smoke for many years.

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #377
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other teams did it and survived, so will the Canucks
Old 04-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #378
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Other teams were off for 3 weeks and then had to play a crazy schedule at the end of the year to make up for it? What teams?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #379
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a staggering lack of human empathy in here
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #380
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm guessing few if any players in Canada will receive their first jab for quite some time. With B.C.'s present age-based rollout, Canucks will be waiting until June or July...at the earliest.
That may not be a deciding factor on whether the Canucks play out or not, but it's not a great scenario to be in, even if you're playing and traveling in a bubble. It's not necessarily a tight seal.
I'm quite pessimistic about the whole COVID situation generally these days so that's colouring my NHL view.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote