Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #5161
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers are a mirage and will come down to earth quite quickly when games matter. If things don't go 100% their way, they can't compete when teams hit that next gear in the playoffs.

The one thing Holland has done is being able kick the can down the road long enough for a bunch of the contracts to come up to open up a bunch of cap space after the expansion draft. What will be interesting to see how they manage that cap space. He has to kind of go all in to appease McDavid and Draisaitl because they don't have the luxury to wait a couple more years to hope players graduate and become impact players.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:35 AM   #5162
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The Oilers are a mirage and will come down to earth quite quickly when games matter. If things don't go 100% their way, they can't compete when teams hit that next gear in the playoffs.

The one thing Holland has done is being able kick the can down the road long enough for a bunch of the contracts to come up to open up a bunch of cap space after the expansion draft. What will be interesting to see how they manage that cap space. He has to kind of go all in to appease McDavid and Draisaitl because they don't have the luxury to wait a couple more years to hope players graduate and become impact players.
I keep telling my friends that are a fan of that garbage team that if they paid Seattle to get rid of Neal they would be better off using that 5.75m cap space elsewhere. They disagree and would rather buy him out. Why not pay the 1st to get rid of No Zeal Neal and use that cap space for a good forward that would be better suited at that cap hit? Makes no sense to but him out and to continuously have buy out money on the books.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #5163
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Why not pay the 1st to get rid of No Zeal Neal and use that cap space for a good forward that would be better suited at that cap hit?
You assume two things:

1. The Seattle owners are willing to tie up $5.75 million in cap space during their honeymoon period with the fans, have a roster player who is obviously no good, and hurt their chance of competing early like Vegas after they paid $650 million to get that chance – all for a first-round pick? I doubt it very much.

2. The Oilers could actually find a player worth $5.75 million who is willing to sign in the Siberia of the New World.

Much more likely that Seattle signs the good forward and Edmonton is still stuck with Neal's contract. Nobody in this world owes the Oilers any favours.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #5164
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton, we need you to stop being No Good for four games against the Habs. Please and thanks
Old 04-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #5165
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Edmonton, we need you to stop being No Good for four games against the Habs. Please and thanks
Behind closed doors I almost believe they would conspire to phone in those games to spite us.

I wholeheartedly believe some of their guys are that petty.

But they are close to Winnipeg I think.. so maybe there's incentive to not be total chumps.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #5166
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With the Tenderness out and them stacking Raisatl with McAvi again, lines 2-4 are a embarrassing, even for the Oilers.

Oilers will have been off for over a week when they play Jets, then Habs twice, then Jets twice.

If Flames can keep beating Montreal, beat Ottawa and the CovidCanucks next Wed, we could see a game against Oil on April 29 where the Flames are ahead of the Oil by 1 point.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #5167
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
With the Tenderness out and them stacking Raisatl with McAvi again, lines 2-4 are a embarrassing, even for the Oilers.

Oilers will have been off for over a week when they play Jets, then Habs twice, then Jets twice.

If Flames can keep beating Montreal, beat Ottawa and the CovidCanucks next Wed, we could see a game against Oil on April 29 where the Flames are ahead of the Oil by 1 point.
Best the Oil beat the Habs though.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #5168
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Best the Oil beat the Habs though.
Habs likely won't lose every game to end, so they can win those games, lose against the Flames and lose the rest and the Oil and Habs can fight for 4th spot.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #5169
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
If things don't go 100% their way, they can't compete when teams hit that next gear in the playoffs.
I first actually thought you were talking about the Flames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #5170
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Habs likely won't lose every game to end, so they can win those games, lose against the Flames and lose the rest and the Oil and Habs can fight for 4th spot.
Which scenario has both the Oilers and the Habs missing the playoffs? I'd like that one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #5171
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
This is so unfair to the Oilers.

There is no more rested team in the league and the Oilers have to play them first?

Who is going to be more motivated than a team that just faced the adversity of a teamwide Covid outbreak? And the Oilers have to play them first?

This is a team that is now pretty much immune to Covid, that's basically a super power. And the Oilers have to play them first?

Post game:

Those guys all had Covid, shouldn't they have to stay 6ft away from Connor? They were actually touching him when he had the puck!!!

This is clearly the league ignoring the rules, all of those guys should be suspended, and we should be awarded the cup.
Covid distancing and the Right of Way law of sportsnet says he gets 2 meters of space and full access to pass if he decides to skate fast.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SnipeShow For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 04-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #5172
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which scenario has both the Oilers and the Habs missing the playoffs? I'd like that one.
Go Covid?
Old 04-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #5173
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames and Canucks run the table against other teams, and play exclusively 3 pointers against each other. That would probably do it?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 04-15-2021, 09:07 PM   #5174
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Would be so incredibly Oilers to have a McOutbreak mid May that knocks them out of POs.

Even when they make the playoffs, they miss the playoffs.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:50 PM   #5175
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Would be so incredibly Oilers to have a McOutbreak mid May that knocks them out of POs.

Even when they make the playoffs, they miss the playoffs.
I’m sure that Covid wasn’t one of McAvi’s 27 life threatening illnesses that he suffered and recovered from on his way to individual awards.

All of which means another Sportsnet very special, special program produced, makeup artisted, directed, costume designed, and starring Connor. It’s called “Covid-97; my Covid is better than yours”. The official toy is a bobble head McAvi that comes with an official nhl “right of way sign”, smells like urine and says “let’s go”.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #5176
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 years and 4000 posts later, and despite the odds of being good at some point in that time, Edmonton is unequivocally no good still.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #5177
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
7 years and 4000 posts later, and despite the odds of being good at some point in that time, Edmonton is unequivocally no good still.
Oh my. There has been so many more than 4,000 posts in this thread over the past seven years.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 04-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #5178
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oh my. There has been so many more than 4,000 posts in this thread over the past seven years.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
That was my 4000th post, my bad for not being clear
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #5179
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
That was my 4000th post, my bad for not being clear
I will choose to ignore context and interpret this as 4000 separate and distinct Oiler jabs thrown making you a god among men sir !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Backstop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 12:30 PM   #5180
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1383130190788796417

Please make this happen Oilers
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread