Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2021, 09:48 PM   #3101
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Also Michael Cole needs to just go away.
Sold the hell out of that "2" count tho.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #3102
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also Michael Cole needs to just go away.
I mean... doesnt he know what's gonna happen?

Tom Phillip's is supposedly getting replaced by Adnan Virk this monday on raw too, maybe wrong guy is getting replaced
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #3103
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say that was a solid B+

Only one bad match... I do think the women's tag titles needed to be on a 2 night wrestlemania, just have bayley team with someone and then let bayley and shayna go for 12 mins while nia and Bayleys random partner, nicholas have a sister?, stand in the corners

The opener, main event, and seth v cesaro were all great, new day vs aj was very well done, bad bunny exceeded every expectation and again was ,more over than anyone else

Braun was also super over, goes to show what difference a crowd makes
Old 04-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #3104
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realized this half way through the event but they cant go in the crowd, I'm guessing theh are saving any big table spots for the main event tomorrow

I do think tomorrow's card is a bit stronger

Two night mania should be here to stay, I noticed the promo for next year in dallas just said april, no date, so I'm guessing they are mulling it over
Old 04-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #3105
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crowd really got behind Braun after he ripped open the cage.

Great story telling in that match in terms of making Shane a cowardly heel that had the upper hand even though he was so overmatched on paper against Braun.

I don’t see how they can go back to one night now - two nights really is so much better.

I wonder if Bad Bunny hitting a Canadian Destroyer was a bit of a tongue in cheek jab about how overused the move has gotten. They had the celebrity in his first match hit it (great work by Morrison there)

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-10-2021 at 10:03 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #3106
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

Two night mania should be here to stay, I noticed the promo for next year in dallas just said april, no date, so I'm guessing they are mulling it over

100%

2 nights lets them make their long ass mania while not absolutely killing the show by the end.

Edit - Good to see we're all in agreement. So it is to be assumed that WWE will almost certainly go back to one night.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 04-10-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:17 PM   #3107
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ok my thoughts, I'd already done the opening match

Naomi & Lana vs. Mandy Rose & Dana Brooke vs. Natalya & Tamina vs. The Riott Squad vs. Carmella & Billie Kay (Tag Team Turmoil) (Nattie and Tamina win)

These type of matches are always a mess, because no one team gets enough time to do anything that stands out. But this was just a mess, a lot of botches, I was hoping that the Riott Squad would get a long awaited push, but it was just meh

1 out of 5

Cesaro (W) vs. Seth Rollins

I really liked this match, both of these guys are good workers, but Cesaro needed and got this win to start what is hopefully an upper card push. This match started tentatively but really picked up the pace at the end. I love that Rollins worked on Cesaro's arm to neutralize the Swing. Sometimes psychology is missing in modern matches. Loved the 23 spin swing. This was a fun match with a fun result

4 out of 5

AJ Styles and Omos defeat the New Day to take the Tag Team Champions.

Another fun match, I like how they kept Omos out of the ring with Woods yelling that they were a real tag team and cutting off the ring. I like how they booked Omos when he finally got the hot tag and slowly walked down Woods who could do nothing against the monster, great booking there. That two handed choke bomb looked like in the words of JR sent Kingston straight to hell. It was weird seeing a heel team doing the hot tag, but it worked. I really liked the booking in this match.

4 out of 5

Shane McMahon vs. Braun Strowman (W) (Steel Cage Match)

I hated the build up to this match based on the premise that Braun was dumb. There has to be a better reason. Braun leading up to it did the best he could to build this thing up. Decent writing with Shane trying desperately to escape and Braun stopping him. Lots of big spots and the cage getting wrecked. But Shane has never been good at the detail work of wrestling that makes a match go from good to great. Instead he depends on falling off of stuff. Overall a good middle of the card match.

3 out of 5

Bad Bunny & Damian Priest(W) vs. The Miz & John Morrison

I hate these kind of matches because its basically the WWE taking a crap on its own industry when they have a celebrity beating the crap out of long time veterans and outside of a few minutes of dominance by Miz and Morrison this one was really Bad Bunny with even Priest taking a back seat. I know some people will like this match because Bunny carried his own, I have no problem with the physical execution of the story as it was written. I just hated the story.

1 out of 5

SmackDown Women's Championship -- Sasha Banks (c) vs. Bianca Belair(W)

Ok this was easily the match of the night, but it wasn't what I would consider a candidate for Match of the Year. It was well done and well executed and had some really good execution by both wrestlers. I look at that between the ropes dive by Sasha, and that nasty hair whip by Bianca (I honestly wanted to see Sasha standing there trying to hold her intestines in with a shocked look on her face). Honestly if Ronda is coming back you can see the matchup with a young power house champion.

When you look at Sasha, in the ring she's incredibly detail oriented and you can see that in her fillers between spots, the kicks, and using the hair. As well as her engagement with the fans. Its a lesson that all the woman could stand to learn.

I was left a little wanting in terms of story telling. How should Sasha counter the younger stronger better athlete. She should use her veteran experience, cut corners, exploit Bianca's inexperience, but we never really got a sense of that here. Instead we got a good back and forth.

I like the idea of Bianca's time has come, Sasha just didn't have all that great of a title range. They never took advantage of her as an all around performer. Hopefully Bianca and when Rhea wins tomorrow can wake up the woman's division.

4.25 out of 5

Over all this wasn't a bad night of wrestling, one of you said that you preferred this format, and I agree, things didn't seemed so packed and I wasn't exhausted by the end like I would be after a 7 hour card. Keep this format WWE. A lot of solid matches, with one or two standouts (Cesaro and Rollins, Belair and Sasha). But really for me the Woman's tag turmoil was a disaster and I hated the Bad Bunny match.

Was it a great Wrestlemania night? Not really, but it was a good wrestlemania night

3 out of 5

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #3108
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Week long Wrestlemanias are here to stay.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #3109
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was pretty anti-climatic
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM   #3110
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was stupid even by wrestling standards.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM   #3111
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Well that was pretty anti-climatic
Hope they take note of the booing

Could hear byron saying something off mic too about the boos
Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM   #3112
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t mind the swerve with whatever they were trying to do with Alexa, but you need to have the payoff right there too.

When the lights came back on it should have been Alexa with Bray in the sister Abigail. That would have made the whole thing much better.

i think Nattie might have actually been hit pretty good with that first knee
Old 04-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #3113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ummm, I don't remember a wrestlemania match getting that many boos. Basically they just booked the fiend into oblivion, he lost, he can't win big matches, and frankly Bray Wyatt is just not a good in ring worker so why push this at all.

I mean I held out hope, that initial entrance was excellent, but after that it was a plodding slow paced, plodding match where Bray got a little bit of offense in, but for the most part Orton beat him down and he Jason Vorhees.

I'm just going to go ahead and grade this as a .5 out of 5. The .5 for the entrance.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:49 PM   #3114
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never want to hear any bitching about AEW guys standing around to set up spots again after watching Natalya and Tamina stand there for 2 years waiting to take that crossbody from Nia.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #3115
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never want to hear any bitching about AEW guys standing around to set up spots again after watching Natalya and Tamina stand there for 2 years waiting to take that crossbody from Nia.
That match would have been like a top 10 aew women's match though
Old 04-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #3116
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1381409117835788294

The first two matches have been horrendously bad. Like Saturday Night Main Event level awful.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #3117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

God Nia doesn't even know how to help her opponent do a simple body slam. And I don't need a minute of I'm King Kong trash talk.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:07 PM   #3118
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly this would be a perfect match for a double turn
Old 04-11-2021, 07:08 PM   #3119
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Women's Tag Team Championship -- Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Natalya & Tamina (Jax and Baszler retain)

Ok, clearly Natty and Shayna are the workers here. Natty worked as hard as she could as did Shayna. But this was an unforgivably bad match. From the standing there waiting forever while nodding at Nia to move her a$$ on the top rope cross body, to the near decapitation that Natty took from a kick from Shayna. From Nia not even being able to take weight on the body slam by Tamina. Wrestlemania is suppossed to be the best of the best night of wrestling across all divisions. However if last night and tonight are any indication, maybe setting up a Woman's Tag Team division doesn't work. I'm being generous with this score

2 out of 5

Old 04-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #3120
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a lot shorter than I expected
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote