Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #341
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat got Oladipo for a bag of chips so they went elsewhere. It's the Sixers who screwed up here, Simmons as the primary ballhandler in end of game situations is horrific come playoff time.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #342
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I wish we could have found a useful big man now though, we are definitely good enough to make the play-in tournament still.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #343
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so the Rockets effectively gave up Harden for Kelly Olynyk, Avery Bradley, Rodions Kurucs, Dante Exum and a couple of late 1sts and pick swaps. Well done lol.

still don't get why they didn't just keep LeVert instead of Oladipo.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #344
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it can’t be relied on but you never know. At this point the guys on the bench will get time to prove their worth for next season. Playing hard with little concern for the next game could very well yield some good results. Personally I want to see Flynn called up and given serious minutes but it may be hard with Lowry and FVV in the lineup.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #345
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure which way the Raptors are going in the offseason now. None of Lowry's preferred destinations will have cap space to sign him. Raptors won't have any cap space if they don't renounce him. Sign-and-trades are really tough to pull off and rare in the NBA (I don't remember all the rules but one of them is that the receiving team is hard-capped).
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #346
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Not sure which way the Raptors are going in the offseason now. None of Lowry's preferred destinations will have cap space to sign him. Raptors won't have any cap space if they don't renounce him. Sign-and-trades are really tough to pull off and rare in the NBA (I don't remember all the rules but one of them is that the receiving team is hard-capped).
If I were to completely guess what happened was that teams simply lowballed the
Having a well known fleecer as a President will do that as nobody wants to lose in the public’s eye. So the Raps stuck to their guns even if it meant losing an asset as in the future teams will know the Raps are willing to do this. The fault to me wasn’t at all on the Raps. They simply didn’t want him enough. Wouldn’t surprise me if Lowry signs on for another year and we do this all again a year from now. It’s not ideal for a guy like Flynn, but hey, it’s just a year. Perhaps by December the Raps may get a piece that can step in and develop.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #347
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't find the source, but Lowry wants a two year deal at 25Mper after this season. I could see a negotiation and hometown discount landing him at 20M. Between that new contract and opening up cap from the Powell trade, that's 24M to play with in free agency next year.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #348
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Can't find the source, but Lowry wants a two year deal at 25Mper after this season. I could see a negotiation and hometown discount landing him at 20M. Between that new contract and opening up cap from the Powell trade, that's 24M to play with in free agency next year.
Yup, can’t complain with that price. Waaay better than paying Powell that money. Based on position though, it’s a little unnecessary so I do hope they make that sort of deal and trade him around January of next year again. He’s a declining asset but aging very slowly. Most contenders could use him.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #349
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's some things that the Raptors can do around Lowry's contract, if there's mutual interest, too. Especially since this might be Lowry's last contract.

Like: a 3 year, $45m contract, with Lowry playing 2 years, then retiring. At that point, Raptors would have the option of waiving him using the stretch provision, lowering the cap hit from $15m on one year to $5m for 3 years. That 1st year at $15m would be low enough that the Raptors could conceivably be a player in free agency this year.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #350
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Utah acquires Matt Thomas from Toronto for a 2nd round pick, is he any good?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #351
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Utah acquires Matt Thomas from Toronto for a 2nd round pick, is he any good?
He can absolutely shoot the lights out, but he just isn’t athletic enough for this level. If you can hide him on defence he can stand in the corner on offence and knock threes down at a high rate. He should be easier to hide in Utah though with Gobert there to cover him, so he could definitely be more effective then he has been able to be for the Raps.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #352
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
He can absolutely shoot the lights out, but he just isn’t athletic enough for this level. If you can hide him on defence he can stand in the corner on offence and knock threes down at a high rate. He should be easier to hide in Utah though with Gobert there to cover him, so he could definitely be more effective then he has been able to be for the Raps.
Another 3 point shooter is not what we needed, but I am not the GM lol.

Was hoping for a bench defensive forward that forces guys to shoot bad shots but oh well. Better hope our 3’s game is on during the playoffs.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #353
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It’s painful watching Baynes. Hopefully we can grab somebody in the buyout market.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #354
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that the Raptors' lack of addressing the problems at C is evidence that they're treating this year as a bit of a tank, although I'd like them to at least start bringing in some prospect Cs on 10-day contracts to see if they could find someone worth signing going forward.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #355
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the Raps management seems to be taking no chances with anyone and are fully in for the tank. I think it's a great idea at this point. A high pick this year to get a star player to retool, would be welcome.

edit: by way of "injured" players

Last edited by bluejays; 04-02-2021 at 06:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #356
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Well, the Raps management seems to be taking no chances with anyone and are fully in for the tank. I think it's a great idea at this point. A high pick this year to get a star player to retool, would be welcome.

edit: by way of "injured" players
LOL, yeah, that didn't work out at all tonight.

https://www.nba.com/game/gsw-vs-tor-...core#box-score

Raptors win by 53? LMAO.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #357
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
LOL, yeah, that didn't work out at all tonight.

https://www.nba.com/game/gsw-vs-tor-...core#box-score

Raptors win by 53? LMAO.

Yeah, tonight's win was bananas.

As for what I'm referring to, Lowry's mysterious foot infection, and now FVV. Tonight was a run away, so they let the guys pound away. Keeping FVV and Lowry out in the future will definitely cost games.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:21 AM   #358
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
The Raptors outscored the Warriors by 51 points in the second and third quarters, the largest point differential over a two-quarter span within a game in NBA history, according to Elias Sports Bureau research. The Warriors became the fourth team in the past 25 seasons to trail by at least 60 points in a game, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. The Raptors' 53-point margin of victory is also tied for the third largest in league history by a team that is 10 or more games below .500.
Bonkers.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oronto-raptors
Old 04-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #359
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's looking possible that Flynn gets his first start tonight with Lowry out and FVV questionable.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #360
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It's not just the 60 point lead but when it was in the game... they were up 121 to 60. Having literally double the other team's score with a couple of minutes left is unheard of, usually you get into garbage time and the gap closes a bit because who cares, they're not making up that deficit, but in this case it just got worse and worse for them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#crapforcade , #suckforsuggs , jurassic bay