Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #11241
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
So do I ditch this thread and go to the 3rd wave thread? sure seems like it's coming.
I think I'll continue to post updates in here (unless it's locked) and anyone not so interested in this can follow other news in the 3rd wave thread.

No change with either my mom or dad this morning, she is still isolated at home after testing positive and is mostly fine and my dad is still stable on the ventilator in ICU. I believe every day of "no change" is a relatively good update.

Last edited by Acey; 03-19-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #11242
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad had a good day yesterday but today wasn't as good with oxygen levels falling slightly, but it's "nothing to be alarmed about" and progress is still promising overall. I can hear some shortness of breath in my mom's voice but she is still mostly fine, typically feeling poor in the mornings and then gaining energy throughout the day and feeling near normal. Word has spread a bit so she now has people from church, her former students from U of L, and my dad's former patients all bringing her food and says the fridge is jam packed and she could feed a small village, so that's nice.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #11243
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who are these 500+ people getting infected?!
Old 03-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #11244
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got another update, I guess it's that situation where people from different shifts are both updating my brother at different times. So the "today wasn't as good" was actually yesterday, and for Saturday afternoon the update is: "Oxygen levels up, able to lower the assistance of the ventilator". Obviously good to hear and this is the most optimistic I've been since last week.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:13 AM   #11245
jlemire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Just got another update, I guess it's that situation where people from different shifts are both updating my brother at different times. So the "today wasn't as good" was actually yesterday, and for Saturday afternoon the update is: "Oxygen levels up, able to lower the assistance of the ventilator". Obviously good to hear and this is the most optimistic I've been since last week.
This brings a large smile to my face! Thanks for the update Acey! all the best to you and your family!
The Following User Says Thank You to jlemire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 02:36 AM   #11246
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Agreed! Quietly cheering in the background, but hoping for and wishing all the best
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #11247
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm not sure I understand the confusion?
Old 03-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #11248
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
This is not meant as snark directed at any one person, but as a reminder to everyone about the fact the virus spreads more easily to those who cannot avoid it as much as those who choose not to avoid it:

these 500+ people are humans who deserve empathy while they go through a likely scary scenario. At least one will probably die
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #11249
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Have they given you a possible timeline for recovery? When my mom had a brain hemorrhage they gave us a breakdown of how it could go, like since she survived the initial event the most dangerous time would be in about ten days due to possible brain swelling. She is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #11250
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

No change with either of them today so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Have they given you a possible timeline for recovery? When my mom had a brain hemorrhage they gave us a breakdown of how it could go, like since she survived the initial event the most dangerous time would be in about ten days due to possible brain swelling. She is fine.
All we've been told is a minimum of 2 weeks in ICU. My mom knows someone his age that was on the ventilator for 22 days, and 10 weeks later is basically fully recovered but others in a similar predicament are still extremely low energy and have a long road to recovery. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemire View Post
This brings a large smile to my face! Thanks for the update Acey! all the best to you and your family!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Agreed! Quietly cheering in the background, but hoping for and wishing all the best
Thanks, much appreciated.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #11251
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
This is not meant as snark directed at any one person, but as a reminder to everyone about the fact the virus spreads more easily to those who cannot avoid it as much as those who choose not to avoid it:

these 500+ people are humans who deserve empathy while they go through a likely scary scenario. At least one will probably die
I'm not sure it's all a snarky comment (although I read it that way at first too). For me, I really want to know sort of the breakdown of how the virus is spreading. Like, we've heard of the party that shut down Bowness HS...is there still spread related to that and family members? Work places? Lots of rulebreakers having indoor gatherings? Knowing how and where the cases are coming from helps to guide behaviours and make better decisions.

I will admit to had a judgmental attitude toward the anonymous case numbers. But recently a colleague of mine who has been very careful caught it. Their partner had to travel for work and managed to get it despite following precautions, and of course passed it along. Unfortunately almost unavoidable for them, and changed my attitude pretty quickly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #11252
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I talked to woman from a multi generational home nearby. Grandmother, mother, Father, daughter, son in law, two children. Son in law caught it likely from work. Everyone got sick and Grandmother almost got hospitalized. How do you stop that?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #11253
Ashartus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I talked to woman from a multi generational home nearby. Grandmother, mother, Father, daughter, son in law, two children. Son in law caught it likely from work. Everyone got sick and Grandmother almost got hospitalized. How do you stop that?

We can't stop all exposures. That, to me, is why it is important to stop the unnecessary ones by following the restrictions we have in place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #11254
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
We can't stop all exposures. That, to me, is why it is important to stop the unnecessary ones by following the restrictions we have in place.
Yup. I'm just trying to paint a picture for people about why a bunch of cases does not equal a bunch of people not trying to follow guidelines
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #11255
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The province does have a program in place, I thought there was one set up "earlier on in Covid" but this just dates back to December. No idea how effective this program is but it makes for good optics. I'm guessing these measures are too late once Covid has entered a home.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ties-1.5896136