Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #1361
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That would be an extinction level event. The amount of debris in the atmosphere would block out the sun around the globe and alter crop cycles. There would be years of crop failures and we would probable see another ice age as a result. The impact to our food cycle would be devastating. The vast majority of humanity would probably starve or kill each other in a search for resources.
Yup. I'd rather be annihilated by the initial eruption than try and survive the aftermath. It would be a dystopian nightmare.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #1362
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Re: Yellowstone

I always ignorantly wondered if we could somehow relieve some of the pressure. That would probably just be the catalyst to set it off early though.
From what I've read, your second thought is right. Depressurizing the magma chamber may actually cause a surge of hot magma rising into the upper chamber which increases the likelihood of an eruption.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #1363
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Looking that the effects of larger volcanic erruptions, if Yellowstone lets go in the way they think, extinction level is maybe an understatement.

Mount Toba - Its erruption took 2 weeks, global temperatures reduced by 3 to 4 degrees C. there was mass devestation of plants and animals in SE Asia,

Mount Pinatubo 1991 - caused Global temperatures to drop .5 degrees C

Mt Tamburo 1815 - caused the year without summer, severe ash and SO2 emissions caused major crop damage around the world. The price of grain in Switzerland quadrupled for example.

Laki 1783 (iceland) - crops in Iceland were devastated and 60% of its livestock died. It caused a europeon famine going as far as Egypt, some have linked the effects of the volcano to the French Revolution due to famine.

Ilopango El Salvador 483 - in theory was a primary cause of the global cooling in 535 and lead to crop failures all the way to China.

So in terms of if a Super Volcano blew in the middle of the States. The US would be devastated, most of the central food production in terms of crops and live stock would end, probably wild animal population and plants would die out. besides being a massive explosion in the middle of the States most infrastructure and power generation would be wiped out and the secondary immediate effects would be spectacular in terms of loss of infrastructure, secondary death effects due to disease and famine. The ash and SO2 effects would be beyond comprehension. Global crop failures, probably at least a 5 or 6 degree drop in temperatures globally which most agree would pretty much end most of the life on earth. the explosion though in the central states would trigger massive tsunami's globally. The positive though I guess, would be Earth would be well fertilized for whatever life would evolve next.
So, if I'm understanding your hypothesis correctly, still better than current living in Edmonton?
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #1364
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Skaloper is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Skaloper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #1365
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That would be an extinction level event. The amount of debris in the atmosphere would block out the sun around the globe and alter crop cycles. There would be years of crop failures and we would probable see another ice age as a result. The impact to our food cycle would be devastating. The vast majority of humanity would probably starve or kill each other in a search for resources.
According to the USGS, humans have survived two volcanic eruptions larger than Yellowstone's most recent cataclysm - one 26,500 years ago, and one 74,000 years ago.

But I guess surviving as a species is different than surviving as a civilization. I don't imagine going back being hunter gathers with a life expectancy of 30 years old would be a lifestyle anyone wants to experience.

https://www.usgs.gov/center-news/no-...20go%20extinct.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #1366
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
According to the USGS, humans have survived two volcanic eruptions larger than Yellowstone's most recent cataclysm - one 26,500 years ago, and one 74,000 years ago.

But I guess surviving as a species is different than surviving as a civilization. I don't imagine going back being hunter gathers with a life expectancy of 30 years old would be a lifestyle anyone wants to experience.

https://www.usgs.gov/center-news/no-...20go%20extinct.

That was a different form of humanity though, they were not dependant on any technology at all, extremely mobile and had heightened survival skills. As well more survival of the fittest was heignted that far back.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #1367
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That was a different form of humanity though, they were not dependant on any technology at all, extremely mobile and had heightened survival skills. As well more survival of the fittest was heignted that far back.
Well, you're also talking about a global human population that's estimated to have been between a few tens of thousands and a few million back then, not nearly 8 billion. Also, you can say people are dependent on technology, but also it means that people now actually have useful technologies (including those that don't need electricity) and knowledge that didn't exist back then, not to mention storeholds of non-perishable foods. The scale of death would be vast now, but I would think there's no question our chances of survival as a species would be much higher now than in the past.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #1368
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would argue otherwise, most people would die trying to figure out how to make a fire when google doesn't work . the smaller population would be a benefit. Plus having to figure out in a hurry an alternative food supply when the temperature quickly drops 5 or so degrees. you might get some survival in some of the far isolated areas. But I feel like there would be too many factors, the temperature, the composition of the atmosphere. The massive infrastructure. The fact that Bob your neighbor looks delicious? I think the suitability back then would have been better, there were far less people. they were used to scraping and living off of the land, they had a very simple existance, and they could ride their dinosaurs away from the explosion very quickly.

Also no matter how good a survival desire you have, when there are so many factors happening all at once or in the short term, that becomes a does not matter thing. Your going to be overwhelmed and die and not even John Cusack can say you.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #1369
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The original yellowstone was estimated as 200 megatons or the equivalent of dropping four of the largest atomic bombs ever detonated in one concentrated area. That's got to shift a lot of plates.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #1370
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if anyone will find this interesting - and it's pretty much an hour long - but it covers how google search works.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #1371
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll admit, I had not considered the dinosaur riding factor.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 08:46 PM   #1372
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Other questions that didn't need to answered but are cool none the less.

Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #1373
coaster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Saw this a few years ago (it was probably in this thread) but it's so damned good it's worth a repost.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coaster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 10:41 PM   #1374
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If you enjoyed watching this guy take on porch pirates with his glitterbomb devices, this takes it to a whole nother level

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 11:18 PM   #1375
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you enjoyed watching this guy take on porch pirates with his glitterbomb devices, this takes it to a whole nother level

If I was a philanthropist I would hire teams of people to combat the scumbag scammers all day every day.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #1376
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 03-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #1377
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
This was Oleg Saprykin wasn't it?
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #1378
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1372331431914049542
Old 03-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #1379
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1373365195154862088

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #1380
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
If I was a philanthropist I would hire teams of people to combat the scumbag scammers all day every day.

If I was a philanthropist the last thing that a lot of these scum would see was a red dot on their forehead as they were typing away on their computers.