Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #2921
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s okay. He’s old and a part timer now. Type of guys that AEW should be staying away from to be honest.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 09:05 PM   #2922
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knowing how mox has no limit in terms of what hes willing to do, and that every one is basically assuming hes taking a break after this for paternity leave, this could be INCREDIBLE
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #2923
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It’s okay. He’s old and a part timer now. Type of guys that AEW should be staying away from to be honest.
Yep, both of the big surprises were kind of disappointing for how much they hyped them up

The way khan and show were teasing them it basically had to be okada, lesner, or cena lol
Old 03-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #2924
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The final match was good but that last explosion of the ring was embarrassing
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #2925
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things Eddie Kingston is committed too:

Friendship with mox

The bit that the final 'explosion' wasnt sparklers at the ring posts
Old 03-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #2926
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Lol, pure wrestlecrap

https://twitter.com/user/status/1368785442053754881

Last edited by Swift; 03-07-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #2927
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Lol, pure wrestlecrap
Too bad, because it would have been a cool ending. Some Roman candles would have helped lol
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #2928
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Eddie is still selling it!
Old 03-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #2929
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, Eddie is going to be pissed when he watches it back. He's selling like a nuke went off, but everyone else saw the equivalent of a birthday sparkler combined with the poof of smoke a magician uses to disappear.

I kept waiting for the real explosion to go off.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #2930
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need to turn the lights out in that spot too.

Leaving all the lights fully on is never going to looks good.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #2931
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I started humming the theme song to my little pony when I saw that ending. A pretty average PPV. After all the hype and the super reveal is Christian.

What's with that, I mean think about it, Christian and Sting faced off in TNA in 2007.

It just still feels WCW to me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #2932
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly that type of event was a huge step back for AEW IMO.

Ethan Page and Christian Cage as your big reveal.

Gimmick matches galore all PPV.

And of course the horrible ending to the main event with that embarrassing explosion.

The problem is it’s not even feeling like WCW anymore, it feels more like the bad TNA/Impact era when they brought in Bischoff, Hogan, Steiner, etc.

Instead of continuing down the path of being something new and unique they are going down the same “rehash” path that hurt the other companies.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #2933
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I can agree with that. This PPV didn't leave me with a lot of confidence. I think it's great that Christian is there (I'm a huge fan and he was severely underrated during his career) but too many WWE guys are starting to show up. Hopefully they can just be personalities when needed to advance storylines and stay out of the way.

Personally I love when they "sign" some of their Dark talent, like Will Hobbs, Aaron Solow, and Sean Dean. I think these are the guys busting their asses for a break and they are organically grown as AEW-exclusive stars. I am hoping Dark: Elevation is going to really get those guys more screen time.

I like Tony Khan's passion for wrestling, but I think he needs to separate his fandom from his business to some extent. There's fun memes to interplay, and then there's the WCW/NWO problem of "too many guys". I will say their storylines aren't a problem though, they have their writing in the bag unlike WCW.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #2934
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really agree with what you're saying in a lot of ways.

I still think their booking is hit and miss. I think in terms of this pay per view, it was too gimmicky. And their on going excuse for the terrible ending to that over booked exploding barb wire match is that Kenny is bad at building rings or something like that. Its just stupid, your PPV match in a gimmick match can't look that underwhelming or bad. Go back and look at Mick Foley vs Terry Funks exploding ring match, that's how its done.

I like Moxley, but his promo's are becoming stale and same old, it sounds like he's going away for a while, that might be a good thing, I think he needs a refresh.

Too many old dudes, like seriously, stop signing WWE mid card or below talent, or 60 year old Stings and hyping it as a huge thing. Stop bringing in part timers. To put this in perspective, Christian is 47 years old. When Hogan joined the NWO I think he was 42. I thought AEW was a great idea to get young developed talent over.

The woman's division is really not being executed well, and they have some very good talent. But its just flat. I laughed AEW posted a picture of two of their woman in the ring giving the finger with the post another thing that WWE can't do. and the overwhelming response was at least they have good woman's matches.

The issue is the question of why AEW's audience as a rebel wrestling group really isn't growing that much. Their viewer ship is really consistant in that 800k range last time I checked, they're not gaining new audience, or if they are they're loosing audience. Also is really competing with NXT where they want to be, Especially since they're trying to use Main Roster talent.

WWE Smackdown and Raw ratings are in the toilet because they're bad, NXT is stagnent because its somewhat audience specific and appeals to people that like to watch independent style matches. I'm still nowhere near figuring out what AEW is.

As well, I agree on Khan, he's doing the Eric Bish thing where he's just spending money for no good reasons. I'd still like to see a better bench strength in terms of writing and production.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #2935
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

BTW Mr Tito is really one of my favorite wrestling columnists and my back and forth conversations with him are fun

https://twitter.com/user/status/1368953961571622920

Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #2936
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Moxley going on a leave for parenting duties (and probably some much needed R&R) means that the timing of a Christian to come in and compete on a part-time basis makes some sense. AEW's main card is still a bit thin (Mox and Omega, then part-timers Jericho/Christian/Big Show) but it's also a chance to cement some top stars in that upper echelon. To me that is probably Cody/MJF/Hangman/Archer, all of whom can go at that level. And all are in active storylines to step up.

Side note: I also think they should wind down with 1-2 stables. Dark Order, Team Taz and FTR Horsemen are money, but it's probably time to wind down Inner Circle, Nightmare Family, Death Triangle, and whatever Kingston/Butcher/Blade is. Let these guys speak for themselves as individual talent. Cody did at least say that Nightmare Family isn't really an "active" stable so much as it is simply an association that can be called upon when needed.

So much talent on that roster but it does need some structure - not everyone can fill the mid-card and they're going to have to pick their diamonds sooner rather than later.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #2937
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll just say it - I'm getting tired of Moxley. He does the same schtick every week, and really, he's just become a watered down version of Stone Cold right now. I'd like to see some evolution of his character more, as he's becoming stale IMO.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #2938
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I appreciate what Omega's done this year, after they completely botched him before. I think Mox needs to go away and do some re-invention, to me he became pretty repetitive over the last year. I guess I expected more from a creative guy like him, even his move set has been paint by numbers for the last couple of years. Go away from the business for like 6 months, recharge his batteries and maybe come back with something new.

I really want Jericho to not wrestle anymore period end of story, Its actually sad to watch him stumble around the ring, and it really effects how I see his personality. It doesn't help that he's become a complete wack job. They need to encourage him to go away for a chunk of time and work on a Fozzie Album. Big Show and Christian don't excite me at all. Even seeing Christian in the ring wouldn't make me tune in, he was a solid mid card guy with some main event bumps that didn't pan out all that well.

Yeah, Cody, definately MJF who I'm a fan of. Archer are all guys that should be the main event even though Cody really does bore the crap out of me.

I used to be a stables guy huge, but you can't have a billion stables running around, it waters down the concept. To be honest a major wrestling organization with 2 or 3 hours of actual TV should really have one or at most two that really menace the rest of the roster.

Honestly I do strongly believe its getting to a time to either seriously trim the roster, or create a developmental or separate territory, even if its a streaming thing. But its too bloated, and Khan seems to just like spending money on wrestling card collections. I was actually dreading last night because I almost expected Hulk Hogan or Kurt Angle to step through the curtains. Or even better Vince Russo or Eric B.

If I could summerize that event though it was major over promise and under deliver.

Oh and push Tay Conti man.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #2939
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'll just say it - I'm getting tired of Moxley. He does the same schtick every week, and really, he's just become a watered down version of Stone Cold right now. I'd like to see some evolution of his character more, as he's becoming stale IMO.

For all of Cornette's shyte, he has pegged Moxley right in the last year or so as a Stone Cold Cosplayer.

I really like him, but I go away thinking that there's so much more he could do.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #2940
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

####, maybe WWE did peg him then.

The Christian thing is... yeah. If Moxley is going down for a few months to be a dad this is the time to push someone else on the roster up. I don't want to see a guy who, up until a month ago, was thought to be retired for good due to concussion issues. I love Christian. One of my favourite performers through the Brood, Edge and Christan, Captain Charisma, his run in TNA. I'd love Christian in WWE as a throw back now and then.

To run a program at the top of the card? Didn't... we just do this with former Christian Tag Team Partner Chris Jericho last year? Is this going to be any different?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote